Hey all, been lurking for a while and would like help picking a vap...

MadScientist625

Hey FC! Great site/community here...tons of info...Found the site via recommendation from Reddit.com...

Anyway, long time smoker and want to try and make the switch to vaping. I found out that a friend recently got throat cancer :( and I feel like if I'm going to continue this habit any longer (i'm 30), I better find ways of making it healthier for myself.

I've been reading as much as possible and I think I'm to the point where I'd like to get some final advice before I pull the trigger on something. Below are the criteria I think I want in a vap.

Price - Any

Delivery system - Not sure really, I think I would like direct draw best just because it is closest to smoking but I have never tried any method. Thicker hits sound more appealing versus a more diluted bag system. Probably the most important aspect is that, since I mainly partake alone or with one other person, is being able to load "snapper-sized" amounts (~0.1 g or less). There seems to be a lot of complaints about bag systems in this regard.

Another other aspect is efficiency. I'm going to be moving to CT soon and will won't know anyone to get from which means whatever I bring with me will have to last until I meet new people.

Finally, I can handle relatively complicated methods of vaping like the SSV but my GF can't so I would like something that is not too complex.

Manufacturer - Don't care as long as it works well, looks good/well-built, and is reliable.

Stealth - not important at all. Home-only device.

Temperature control - Very important. It seems to me that if you are going to be more healthy and vap, buying a vap which doesn't control the temperature of the air going through the herb is defeating the entire point of a vap. Units like the SSV/DBV and other units which control heat output not air/vap temp seem to me to be too dependent on how hard you suck to get the right temperature range. I mean, people are talking about changes by 10 degrees making a difference in the vaping.

Down to choosing a model....

I started by looking at the 'Cano naturally because it is the most well-known but the fact that it is bag only seems to be going against my initial instincts on what I actually would like. I'm a chemical engineer and I really appreciate the engineering that went into making the 'Cano though.

Looked at the DBV but I don't like how the gas temperature is dependent on how hard I suck (maybe I'm being too worried about this?)

So it seems that I've painted myself into a temperature controlled, forced/fan type unit. Been looking that the ones on Extremevaporizers.com but it is difficult to understand what the differences are between the units.

What else should I consider??

Thanks all!

MadScientist625,

OC513

Dabaholic
if you are into glass, used to hit bongs and not in any rush I would suggest checking out the Vape XHale.....it is not out yet but looks to be one promising unit. If you want a vape right now I would suggest a Da Buddha for a "heavy hitter" whip style vape or a log style vape such as a Purple Days, MyrtleZap or Woodeez for serious conservation of your meds, great if you mostly medicate alone. There are threads on all of these vapes in the Vaporizer Discussion section.

edit.....the Da Buddha (DBV) does have temp control......just no digital read out. You can adjust your draw speed which in turn will adjust the heat with any whip/direct draw model. With a DBV or SSV you can use a knob to adjust the heat up or down.....want to pull hard turn the heat up, want to pull softly turn the heat down.

OC513,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
It sounds like the Extreme Q might be a good fit for you as it meets all the criteria you have stated. Digital temp control, whip / bag / forced air options and it's fairly efficient using the elbow pack method. It's made by a well respected company (Arizer) and has a decent warranty. Check out the thread here: http://fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=1950

Stu,

MadScientist625

Stu said:
It sounds like the Extreme Q might be a good fit for you as it meets all the criteria you have stated. Digital temp control, whip / bag / forced air options and it's fairly efficient using the elbow pack method. It's made by a well respected company (Arizer) and has a decent warranty. Check out the thread here: http://fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=1950

How does the extreme compare to the Ion?

MadScientist625,

Beezleb

I love my Zephyr but I also must tell you I received it for making a video but I love the quality of it and I use it as my main vape. If I was going to purchase to a bag and whip vaporizer I would consider the Zephyr and the Extreme vaporizer since I understand you want the digital temp. The herbalaire should also be checked out as well. The herbalaire is a very attractive purchase due to its bag efficiency and price.

They all have their positives and negatives so rather than just say which I would do I suggest checking those models out and seeing which ones appeal to you. They are all quality models that will not let you down in my opinion.

Beezleb,

max

Out to lunch
It seems to me that if you are going to be more healthy and vap, buying a vap which doesn't control the temperature of the air going through the herb is defeating the entire point of a vap.
Even the whip units that you're complaining about control the temp. They just require some assistance from the user. A fixed temp vape also obviously controls the temp, and avoids overcooking no matter how you hit it. As for lack of temp control defeating the point of a vape, I think you're going overboard there. Even vaporizing at a high temp, near combustion (many medical users use the high end for better sedation and pain relief), is still much better, health wise, than smoking.

A bag filler is definitely the best for temp control, since you get a constant stream of air and the vape is designed to hold temp with that airflow. The catch is that you will tend to use more herb with a bag unit. Using small amounts is certainly doable, but your bag will look and hit as if it's pretty much empty, and with bags there's more surface area for condensation to occur.

Finally, I can handle relatively complicated methods of vaping like the SSV but my GF can't so I would like something that is not too complex.
This would tend to steer you to a bag filler. There's no learning curve. You just fill and suck.

I started by looking at the 'Cano naturally because it is the most well-known but the fact that it is bag only seems to be going against my initial instincts on what I actually would like. I'm a chemical engineer and I really appreciate the engineering that went into making the 'Cano though.
It's a great vape, but you're restricted to bag fill only, and other excellent designs such as herbalAire, Extreme, Ion, and the upcoming Oracle (which I can personally vouch for) will save you $ and provide direct draw as well.

Looked at the DBV but I don't like how the gas temperature is dependent on how hard I suck
The DBV provides a very predictable hit, as long as your draw speed is consistent. Problems occur when, using the same temp setting, one person hits nice and slow, and the next one hits it hard and fast. This is where the learning curve comes in. Very few vapes can maintain a steady temp when the user hits it really hard. This is where a heat exchanger comes in handy. The heating element heats a large block of metal, which serves to hold the temp steady. The fixed temp log vapes that OC513 suggested use the exchanger, and do a great job of holding temp and encouraging efficiency. With the fixed temp and HE, you'll get quite a few satisfying hits, with no danger of overcooking, and find yourself using less herb. The VapeXhale Cloud, OTOH, is going to be a big hitter with temp control, but also using the heat exchanger, so draw speed is minimized as a temp factor.

There really is no single vape that fills all your requirements. You may find yourself, like a lot of us here, becoming a multiple vape owner. I use a PD for most of my vaping, but my SSV gets steady use as well, when I want bigger hits and a quicker and/or heavier effect. I still have a bag filler (herbalAire) for the occasional group session, and an iolite and MF Launch Box meet my portable needs. The Cloud will soon put my SSV on the shelf though, and if you want a vape that draws from the best aspects of other models, you should give this one a serious look. It is indeed a big hitter though. You'll certainly be able to use small amounts in it, but like any big bowl vape, the tendency is to use more than with a small bowl like you have with the log vapes.

max,

MadScientist625

I agree that I'll probably end up with a Ion or EQV and later down the road maybe a PD for better conservation.

Does the Ion or EQV differ in the min amount of herb you can load in it?

Leaning towards the EQV right now...

MadScientist625,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Hey there.

Here are my recommendations, in no particular order.

1) Da Budda
2) SSV
3) Extreme-Q
4) Zephyr Ion

1,2, and 3 are whip based vaporizers, although only 3 has a digital temperature control. 3 also does bags if you should ever be inclined to try that

4 primarily does bags, has a nice big, digital readout, and can handle a whip attachment (one is supposed to be forthcoming from the manufacturer, but it has been forthcoming for a while, so....). You can probably jury righ a whip from somewhere else, but if your primary intended use was 'whip', I think your first vape should come with a whip.

I own 2 and 3. Both have handled 100 mg loads, and I've used as little as 25 mg in the Extreme using the elbow pack method.

Honestly, I wouldn't want to be without either the SSV or the Extreme. I load an Indica in the SSV and a Sativa in the Extreme, and hit from both during the course of an evening.

Tom

tdavie,

MadScientist625

Tom,

I was on the same track (DBV/SSV, Ion, Extreme Q). Can you write a few sentences on how difficult the SSV is to use? It seems kind of tricky to have to hold it (and even rotate for optimal results) and the gas temperature is also significantly dependent on how hard you suck. I assume the whip hits are stronger on the SSV relative to the EQV? Can you compare them?

Leaning towards the EQV since I can try both bags and whips and it looks like it can control temperature fairly well. Still reading up to see how the build quality is and find some videos online to get a better idea of how they work...

MadScientist625,

Beezleb

If you slide a DBV sized whip set tubing over the top of the ion you can hit it directly via tube, bong etc. Works better than using a whip.

Beezleb,

MadScientist625

Beezleb said:
If you slide a DBV sized whip set tubing over the top of the ion you can hit it directly via tube, bong etc. Works better than using a whip.

So I assume this is with the fan off? Can you do this with the EQV as well?

MadScientist625,

Beezleb

No, the fan has to be on with the ion. I did not realize that was an issue as you was talking about steady temperature. Generally, you will only get this with a steady even flow of unvariable temperature air over the medium. When you inhale you alter that to a degree. For many this is not an issue but I thought this was an aspect for you.

Trade off's of the Ion to E would largely be durability in my view. You can lose/break things for the E while this is not an issue for the Ion but the Ion is not yet designed to be as flexible as the E. Their are other little differences as well but both are quality vapes so I recommend you find the one that best meets your needs.

Good luck in your selection!

Beezleb,

MadScientist625

Beezleb said:
No, the fan has to be on with the ion. I did not realize that was an issue as you was talking about steady temperature. Generally, you will only get this with a steady even flow of unvariable temperature air over the medium. When you inhale you alter that to a degree. For many this is not an issue but I thought this was an aspect for you.

Trade off's of the Ion to E would largely be durability in my view. You can lose/break things for the E while this is not an issue for the Ion but the Ion is not yet designed to be as flexible as the E. Their are other little differences as well but both are quality vapes so I recommend you find the one that best meets your needs.

Good luck in your selection!

Having the fan off wasn't but I read in Bruce's thread that what is what he said to do.

For the E, things are easier to break because it's glass construction versus teflon or is there another reason?

Finally, where should I buy the EQV?

MadScientist625,

lwien

MadScientist625 said:
For the E, things are easier to break because it's glass construction versus teflon or is there another reason?

I've heard that with the E, the vapor path flows over the electronics. Not so with the Ion.

I've never used an E, but I can vouch for the fact that the Ion is built like a tank.

lwien,

hereatlast

The Extreme is a great jack-of-all vapes vape IMO. Bag, whip, fan or not, whatever. I think the Extreme is a great 'beginner' vape, it seems many progress from bags to whip with this particular unit, its nice to have that versatility for a primary or first vape.

The Ion seems like a great option as well, I can't speak on it as I have no experience with it but lots of happy customers.

hereatlast,

MadScientist625

VaporExperts,

Thanks for the info. Because I want to try out both whip and bag style vap, I'm going with the EQV.

MadScientist625,

lwien

VaporExperts said:
Cheers,

THE VAPOR EXPERTS

Hmmm...........I'm not sure if it's good form for a retailer to be recommending specific vapes in this thread when they don't sell all the vapes mentioned here. It's a conflict of interest, the way I see it.

lwien,

MadScientist625

lwien said:
VaporExperts said:
Cheers,

THE VAPOR EXPERTS

Hmmm...........I'm not sure if it's good form for a retailer to be recommending specific vapes in this thread when they don't sell all the vapes mentioned here. It's a conflict of interest, the way I see it.

Haha, no worries. I take everyone's advice with a grain of salt anyway. Consistent advice from multiple people is the only way to roll.

Bought the EQV from Vaporkits.com using the 10% discount. Seemed to best the best deal (free USPS priority shipping, grinder, and a few other unlisted freebies). Hopefully I'll like it...

BTW, in reading all of these threads, I've enjoyed watching your cat's head weave from side to side, haha.

MadScientist625,

VaporExperts

Avid Vaporist & Distributor
Retailer
lwien said:
VaporExperts said:
Cheers,

THE VAPOR EXPERTS

I understand your concern. However, I'm not here to be a voice of a retailer. My intent is to be as helpful as possible to all of those who have questions about the world of vaporizers. I'll admit, my knowledge is limited to the products I have tried, but I'm not here for anything but to offer advice to those who need it.
:peace:

mod note: As a retailer (I see no wholesale prices on your site), posting with company name as user name, and a link to your site, you are not allowed to make recommendations for any brand that you sell. It qualifies as advertising in the threads, and that's not permitted.

VaporExperts,

lwien

VaporExperts said:
lwien said:
VaporExperts said:
Cheers,

THE VAPOR EXPERTS

I understand your concern. However, I'm not here to be a voice of a retailer. My intent is to be as helpful as possible to all of those who have questions about the world of vaporizers. I'll admit, my knowledge is limited to the products I have tried, but I'm not here for anything but to offer advice to those who need it.
:peace:
The Vapor Experts
www.WholesaleVaporizers.com

If you're truly not here to be a voice of a retailer, then it may be wise to change your sig so that it doesn't contain a hyperlink to your retail site.

I just can't think of another instance where a retailer entered a thread where the OP was asking what vape he/she should purchased and the retailer stated only the vapes that he sells, and then says that he is not here to be a voice of a retailer while having a hyperlink to his site in his sig. You're post may have been a bit more objective by stating that although you don't carry the Ion or the log vapes mentioned in this thread, that they too would be viable alternatives.

Guess I'm just a real stickler about having people make recommendations when they "may" have another agenda other than offering up good advice.

lwien,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
MadScientist625 said:
Tom,

I was on the same track (DBV/SSV, Ion, Extreme Q). Can you write a few sentences on how difficult the SSV is to use? It seems kind of tricky to have to hold it (and even rotate for optimal results) and the gas temperature is also significantly dependent on how hard you suck. I assume the whip hits are stronger on the SSV relative to the EQV? Can you compare them?

Leaning towards the EQV since I can try both bags and whips and it looks like it can control temperature fairly well. Still reading up to see how the build quality is and find some videos online to get a better idea of how they work...

Here you go :)

The SSV is not that difficult to use at all. There was a bit of a learning curve in that I had to 'ease off a bit' in how hard I inhaled. First time I used it, I was not prepared for how hard it hit. You want big, choking clouds (probably not), the SSV can provide them. True, if you just draw on the whip, and not rotate the wand holding the weed, it will probably get burnt/brown in one spot only. I kind of rotate it clockwise and then counter clockwise when taking a hit, and once every three hits I stir it up a bit with the provided pokey. What I don't like on the SSV, and this is only a minor quibble, is that I find it difficult to get reliable/repeatable hits at a lower temperature (I use MJ for arthritis, so this is important to me). But, if you want 'to go to the moon', you just dial up the temperature knob to 12 o'clock (on mine, others may vary slightly).

Using the cyclone bowl on the EQV, the hits tend to be more 'airy' then the hits from the SSV. Not a bad thing IMO; I find it easier on the throat/airways. If you elbow pack the EQV, I find it very comparable to the SSV in terms of hit strength.

Build quality? Well, I've had my EQ (the .v3 model actually) since January 29th of this year, use it for about 6 hours per day (plugged in, turned on and loaded and hitting it over a 6 hour period). Zero problems, although I've had a few accidents and have broken a few elbows and a cyclone bowl. Strictly my fault, and not indicative of the build quality.

good luck on your decision.

Tom

tdavie,

Canarka

You will love your EQ.

I personally have one and use it multiple times per day. I don't have one negative thing to say about it. You've already heard many of the positives and I'll let you figure out other reasons as to why you'll love it.

For what it's worth, I've tried Volcanos, SSV's (with and without hands free), Ions, Herbalaires and a handful of no-name box style vaporizers.

The EQ has been my favorite thus far.

Canarka,

MadScientist625

Canarka said:
You will love your EQ.

I personally have one and use it multiple times per day. I don't have one negative thing to say about it. You've already heard many of the positives and I'll let you figure out other reasons as to why you'll love it.

For what it's worth, I've tried Volcanos, SSV's (with and without hands free), Ions, Herbalaires and a handful of no-name box style vaporizers.

The EQ has been my favorite thus far.

Cool. Good to hear that from someone who has had direct experience with it as well as many others. If you have any quick tips/tricks for it, let me know. I'm currently trying to go through the main 77 page thread...

MadScientist625,

lwien

Yup. Scanning through a thread that's about a vape that you are considering or have already purchased is highly recommended. Before I got my vapes, I can't begin to tell you all of the useful information that I got here regarding user tips. The threads can be quite lengthy, but you will find answers to things that you didn't even know enough to ask a question about. :)

lwien,
Top Bottom