Pen Herbstick Eco Vaporizer

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Taste will improve with time, taste and clouds are similar to te X-mas v2, battery life is better, honnestly I like it!

Only thing is not very nice is the plastic mp, l don't know if it is ISO resistant but they provided 3 of them.

There is a sort of usb cover lid (rubber) which is not very nice when you put the unit in pocket although you can't lost it and it protect from dust.
The activation button is a bit too big.
There is a lot of big holes for heater aeration and airflow, it might be an issue with dust....but I don't think it's a big issue at all.

All in all I prefer it to my Imag plus ceramique and maybe to my X-Mas V2 (Storm in fact) and it is very close to the Inhalater 05 does for a fraction of the price (without the high quality components and the convenients capsules!)

PPN

Volute of Vapor
I need to add some correction to my last post, even if I like it, it's not really cloudy, taste is nice but it doesn't extract goodies quickly (it explains the 10mn autoshutoff and the battery life).

I think Bauway need to improve it cause people wants to be able to get big clouds (at least at max setting) BUT I like it cause I need a vape like that, smooth for my throat, not smelly around(cause the low heat), efficient (abv comes out totally spent), that I can forget it 20-30s without to spent my load and which taste enough good for me (and cheap too!).

It might be better with an higher heat but , all in all, it's a nice vape under 50$!

PPN

Volute of Vapor
I'm very sorry my friends, I didn't understood why I remenber to get clouds with the Eco and wasn't able to reproduce the experience...that's why I stated it was not enough cloudy....

BUT I made a beginner mistake, it rains since some days, humidity level is very high, l can't grind when bud is like that and I only use scissors (and even don't grind at all)...all in all this explain the poor performances I got...

I put a nug on my computer to dry completly, ground it the fine I can and I got big clouds without any issue (it milked my bubbler)

Sorry for this contradictories posts, it will be a lesson for me cause even somes the best vapes have difficulties to vape moisturized flowers!

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Disclaimer: I have no vested interest in this company and didn't receive any compensation from them apart from the free sample. I'm not a pro reviewer, I don't have any website to promote. I got my sample because I participated to the Herbstick Deluxe beta test and Ludo enjoyed the feedback I provided. I'll do my best to be as unbiased as possible.

I received my sample unit from Ludo some days ago, along two other pen vapes from other brands. I'll try to do a comparative review at some point, but for now the little time I have to test vapes has been spent on the Zion, which to me seemed to be a higher priority.

The Herbstick Eco (HE) is indeed better looking than on the pictures. It's a nicely made object and the build quality looks better than the Herbstick Deluxe (more solid) They seem to enjoy the "bling bling" luxury aspect, as the HD has a false diamond, this one has some kind of silverish decorative ring... but it's not bad really. I like the design because the whole thing doesn't look like a dildo. It's big to pass as an e-cig but I hold it like a cigar instead and it looks cooler this way!

The only button available might be large but it also feels very solid. It acts as a light guide for the multi-color LED below and is able to display the charge level and the temperature setting. The LED colors are vivid. The button is reactive and doesn't seem to miss triggers like on the X-Max V2 Pro I received.

The packaging is on par with all Chinese vapes I received, with thick cardboard, metallic printing, faux-velvet inside. Accessories are similar to the HD. I still don't know what the woman nails file tool is for, and the pipe cleaners are not really necessary here (contrary to the HD) because the vapor path is so short. There are as noted earlier two extra mouthpieces. Don't know if they are meant to be thrown away often or if it's just to help you when you lose them... but it's a nice touch.

There is a micro USB charging cable but no wall outlet adapter. Not a big deal as I got plenty from other electronic devices and vapes. There is a 12 pages manual included, color printed. English is not the best but it's readable.

Now before I continue any further, I need to set something straight: this is a very cheaply priced vaporizer designed to fit the entry level. You need to keep that in mind when doing comparisons. Ludo told me that the wholesale price will be under $18! This is incredibly low, yet I think this vaporizer offers a pretty high value for that little money. As @mrweed said, it's perfect to introduce someone to vaporization without breaking the wallet. You could buy one yearly and throw it away if needed or get one during a travel trip etc. (but don't do that, it's absolutely not eco-friendly nor sustainable!!!)

In fact I'm positively suprised by the overall quality and features for such a cheap device. But I haven't even used it, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I'm describing what I see, not how it performs.

The manual says it has a "cutting edge chipset to ensure the temp" yet the temperature levels are listed as ranges instead of points, and those ranges are pretty large (9°C/16°F) So I don't know how well the regulation works in practice. But at least there are plenty of levels and the low temps are covered. For the high end it might be a tad low for some people, but to me it's adequate. Here are the settings:

Cyan: less than 169°C/336.2°F
Blue: 170-179°C/338-354.2°F
Green: 180-189°C/356-372.2°F
Purple: 190-199°C/374-390.2°F
Yellow: 200-209°C/392-408.2°F
Red: above 210°C/410°F

Manual says the bowl is 0.2g to 0.3g. It also says "do not overpack" but I intend to tamp my load like in all my conduction vapes anyway. The battery is 2200mAh high discharge and they claim 1.5h of use on highest setting. Finally the manual says the device needs a 1A USB port for charging. I don't know if it's a typo, because with USB2 usually devices only get up to 0.5A. I charged it with a 0.5A wall wart but the adaptor was getting a bit hot. To be safe I swapped it with another wall wart (the one from the HD) rated up to 1.5A.

This leads me to the first negative point: they were so close! Why didn't they make the battery cell removable? It's beyond me! You take the device and you look at it and it's clear the bottom part could be unscrewable like in the X-Max V2 Pro but no, it's like glued in place! Why? Come on Bauway/Ciggo! If they did it for the X-Max there's no reason you can't! Just say clearly in the manual what the minimum discharge C rate should be for the cell (or alternatively what the HE max continuous amp draw is) and users could swap batteries easily and extend the device service life!

I know this could lead to dangerous situations and it could be a warranty nightmare. When an e-cig explodes it's bad for the entire industry. But if you educate your users it shouldn't be a problem, especially with IMR cells that are overall safer (but one could alternatively use high discharge protected cells)

Now to conclude this pre-review, the second issue I had was that the device reeks like a new car. The box faux velvet stinks a lot, but the device itself has a strong smell. I can recognize the silicone smell but I think there is also the now widely used polyimide insulation tape and its bloody glue. This should surely dissipate with a lot of burn-ins, like on the FlowerMate 5 etc, but it's not something I like.

I'll report back when said burn-ins are complete and all smells are gone. Ah, last but not least, the mouthpiece body is made of some plastic, possibly Delrin? I'm not a fan of having that in my vapor path. There is also another plastic piece touching the top of the bowl (the mouthpiece holder) I hope this will not lead to melting issues after several sessions on highest setting like in the PNP.

The bowl is a shiny metal, more shiny than in the HD. I hope it's not aluminium. Anyways I'm not a big fan of metal bowls, but that's a personal taste. I'll ask Ludo what it is made of.

These issues aside, and given the very low price, so far the impression is rather positive and I think buying this is less risky than buying the Titan 1/2 because those have a lot of fake clones in circulation. I just wish the mouthpiece base and mouthpiece holder were not made of plastic. I'll report back when I use the device.

Last edited:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I think I must apologize: I've been a bit quick in my analysis. I asked Ludo a few questions about the materials and it turned out I was wrong.

The top part and the mouthpiece base are not plastic, they are aluminium (like the OG Herbstick he told me) I confirmed by scratching a bit the black coating, and it's indeed a metal below.The mouthpiece itself is food grade silicone, as expected.

The bowl is stainless steel, like in the HD.

And for the battery, they use a Samsung 25R and they don't want to take the risk of having users potentially use lower performance cells, for safety reasons. It's true that this battery thing is a dual-edged sword...

Overall those are positive news...

Hey guys I have also received a sample from Ludo. I got it two days ago so not much to report yet. I charged it for the first day and did a bunch of burn offs yesterday. There was initially a pretty strong robot fart smell but it seems to have gone now. I have only done one session but so far my impression is quite positive. As you guys have already mentioned this is a product aimed at the lower end of the market but I think it may be really useful as a travel or out on the town kind of vape. I took the mouthpiece and let it soak in coconut oil for about 10 hours. Actually, when I first looked at the mouthpiece I thought to myself, "fuck that, I'm not putting that thing in my mouth". But I have to say after inspecting it more closely and trying it, well its actually pretty good and imo better than that horrible mouthpiece on the Image Plus and other Chinese vapes. I was glad to see there was no ceramic disc inserted in the mouthpiece.

Anyway, I will get back after the coming weekend with a proper review but I think this vape has potential based on my initial impressions.

OF

You have to? I normally use every vape right after unboxing with no charging. 12 hours is a long time not to use a vape a because the led is wonky.

Of course you don't have to, you don't have to change the oil in your car either.......

What does the maker say? Most, I think, advise 'charge XX hours before the first use'? There's a solid reason for that, failure to do so on the first charge (only) can limit the maximum capacity for the life of the battery.

Notice that while some might make no mention, nobody but MFLB advises 'go ahead and use it just as you get it'? That's because they use a different type of battery..........

me too, but afterwards i still do the initial charge as stated in the manual. The Xmax V2 only needs 6h.

I wouldn't bother. The first discharge seals the deal. That's why makers say to do it 'first thing' only. After that initial discharge, extra charging is just a waste of time. The only benefit comes from following instructions in this case.

OF

OF,
Reactions: KeroZen

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Pics of my Eco+ DIY hydratube (a combination of 2 cheaps HT)
dWBqVbW.jpg

Il7lhQL.jpg

PPN,
Anyone still using theirs? Thinking about buying one as a on the go portable. Cannot risk the solo for confiscation and its not so stealth anyways. Seperate airpath on a $30 vape sounds pretty sweet.

nondarb,

PPN

Volute of Vapor
I'm still using mine, very similar to the X-max, vapor quality is the same imo....but no replacable batteries here!

Only downside is the power button sometime it doesn't work really well with my unit.

I'm still using mine, very similar to the X-max, vapor quality is the same imo....but no replacable batteries here!

Only downside is the power button sometime it doesn't work really well with my unit.

Awesome. I've gone ahead and pulled the trigger, got it and a lesser known unit "VAX" for ~$60. Paid less than $26 for the eco!! Seems like a STEAL. Taking a chance on the VAX since I noticed no one reviewed it and in spite of the PAX sounding name its an all original design. We'll see.

Does the eco mate up with a 14.5mm joint naturally? Saw yours being used with a HT is why I ask. I have no original HS to rob MP's so I'll be stuck with the stock pieces.

Here's the dhgate listing if anyone is interested in one at the $26 price. www.dhgate.com/product/newest-fashion-airflow-hole-2200mah-mini/263437199.html#pd-103

nondarb,
I've had mine around 1.5 months. Its small, but feels great in the hand. Very solid, the aluminum body and over all weight of the unit smacks of arizer portables. Its not my daily driver by any stretch but its a fantastic value at the $25 I paid on DHGate, one thing I've noticed is the many air intake holes allow you to overpower the heater a little too easily. It works a lot better when you cup your hand around it to limit airflow, a not so elegant work around is PTFE tape around the top rows of the air intake holes limiting it to the two larger holes just below the heater. Manipulating the air flow is the key to cloudier results as it is with most vaporizers, I find myself pulsing or restricting the airflow for bigger pulls in a manner akin to manipulating a solo stem.

Battery life is great, around an hour or so at levels 4,5,6. My unit produced no smell at all during burnoffs save the MP's, however the packaging was/is very stinky and the smell was more or less "caught" in the silicone MP's. I soaked in ISO around 24 hours and the taste was gone. The ABV is very even due to the bowls shape, but also somewhat difficult to load as the opening is only 1/4". I've inserted a super small basket screen dome up to reduce bowl size, it's now a surprisingly effective microdoser. .05 produces around 4-5 decent rips (through water), its not a complete brute by any means but it will milk a piece pretty well and its MP's are effectively 14mm SONGS.
1e1219c30a.jpg

All in all I'd say this is a great vape for the price. Its finding a way into my rotation.

Last edited:
DHgate seller down to 22.50.... I'm in.

Thanks for the suggestion.

In that case I'm ordering another, mines on loan to a Buddy. He still combusts but for discretions sake he learning to enjoy vaporizing. Thanks for the heads up.

nondarb,
Sorry... I take that back. When you only order one it goes up. Apologies

Screw it, I'll get another and gift the one on loan. I live in a terror state, the possibility of confiscation while out and about is very real so the pricier units generally live at home. This unit fits my occasional need for a good discreet cheap portable I wouldnt mind loosing in a pinch.

I've bought some heat shrink tubing I plan on installing on the next one instead of Teflon tape to cover the extra airholes as a more elegant solution, since I'm the only one who has done that my unit may be a little different but I find the holes wide open to provide an airy vapor, slow and low with restricted airflow yields cloudier results for me, YMMV.

nondarb,
post some pics when you do please. I like the idea of your mod and may adopt it myself
3oxRmoFKC9pyGMS5oc

So I covered all but the main two holes with Teflon tape (for heat resistance) and covered with black heatshrink for aesthetics sake. I also covered the gaudy silver ring, the more I use it the more I like it. It recovers and heats up quicker than my solo and really delivers through glass.

I'all probably make a video soon, its a different vape since the mod.

nondarb,
Reactions: KeroZen
Top Bottom