Heady Glass Appreciation

TangibleHangnail

Was able so score a colored one this past weekend. I’ve been wanting a full clear and colored BMS rbr for a bit. After way to much buying, selling, and trading I think I have finally tamed my G.A.S for a while lol. I’m sure something will pop up in the future I want but for now I’m pretty content with what I have. These also work fantastic with ball vapes if anyone was curious. Here’s a pic of the one I scored.

So you'll be selling your clear at a deep discount, right? ;)

TangibleHangnail,

Texus

Time for a Canadian artist to get some love. Bought the 14mm green Giblock from Gibson Glass and liked it so much that I've got a 10mm on the way. I was originally just psyched to use the Giblock as a heady dry Sherlock. And still would love to see more heady Sherlocks with a 14 or 18mm joint - especially with a carb hole which I love on my Prophet. But then fell in love with the function. Nice vortex with a lovely bloop at the end.

coolbreeze

Good to see you are going with the OG instead of a Biao or other Chinaglass imitators.
The biao rbr is really not too bad if you need an affordable piece and it will function/cool well with a ball vape, etc. but trust me, it's no match for the OG. The Bear Mtn rbr is smooth and flawless in function. It's kind of hard to believe how different the OG is from a decent knockoff.

Buzzkill361

Good Vibes Tribe
Good to see you are going with the OG instead of a Biao or other Chinaglass imitators.
I’ve had a china glass one in the past. Nothing wrong with it but the nothing beats the original. Online pics are deceiving the BMS 14mm dd is actually quite a bit larger than I had expected. Been loving it with my Qaroma.

The biao rbr is really not too bad if you need an affordable piece and it will function/cool well with a ball vape, etc. but trust me, it's no match for the OG. The Bear Mtn rbr is smooth and flawless in function. It's kind of hard to believe how different the OG is from a decent knockoff.
I agree. I was quite surprised at how easy and effortless the draw was to get things going. Even with some seriously light pulls I can get the vortex going.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Time for a Canadian artist to get some love. Bought the 14mm green Giblock from Gibson Glass and liked it so much that I've got a 10mm on the way. I was originally just psyched to use the Giblock as a heady dry Sherlock. And still would love to see more heady Sherlocks with a 14 or 18mm joint - especially with a carb hole which I love on my Prophet. But then fell in love with the function. Nice vortex with a lovely bloop at the end.
What qualifies as heady anymore?
IMO this just does not fit.

FlyingLow,

Texus

Why is that?

For me, the green is considerably more elaborate in color and style than most of his Giblocks. The other is more about the color work on the glass, so maybe more borderline there.

And with those characteristics, I'd consider these more heady than my clear Evol Empire Eclipse or Pocket Hiro with yellow accents. These are much more unique one-offs than those, another characteristic I associate with Heady Glass. BTW, like their function just as much as that of my Evols too (and a good deal more than the bargain Evol ADRs, whose function I personally didn't particularly care for by comparison). Giblock bloop/RBR style vortex combo is addictive (and unique to the best of my knowledge).

Also not seeing a lot of difference between these Giblocks and the colored Bear Mtn RBR posted just before this.

Don't read me wrong, not defensive, nor do I particularly care what these qualify as. Just curious.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

Remember when you pointed this out when I was sharing a lot of stuff here? Looked it up, and its any one off made thing, something unique, an individually artisan made glass piece, the level and style of work varies by price and artist, so to you the definition means something else but that doesn't mean you're correct technically... a lot belongs in this thread (another thread with more specific category could help if you only want to see a certain level of glass yourself) as evidenced by all the people sharing stuff :tup:

Sparkpug

Well, I did something crazy 2 days ago. I bought an RBR from BMS.

I looked at the Sunday Sale on Sunday, specifically wanting a clear 14mm single diffused and decided not to, because $700 for a pipe is a bit out there for me. But on Tuesday I told myself that if any 14mm RBRs were left I'd buy one (thinking they'd all be gone... hoping maybe.) They had 2 left so I chose the Jupiter color ring for the mouth.

Pics and all that fun stuff when it comes (September 12th ish)

Last edited:

coolbreeze

I looked at the Sunday Sale on Sunday, specifically wanting a clear 14mm single diffused and decided not to, because $700 for a pipe is a bit out there for me. But on Tuesday I told myself that if any 14mm RBRs were left I'd buy one (thinking they'd all be gone... hoping maybe.) They had 2 left so I chose the Jupiter color ring for the mouth.
That sounds really cool, love to see the lip wrap when your pipe comes. The good thing is, once you pay that bill you'will never have a second thought.

Texus

You must be so psyched. On the more functional than art piece side of things, an RBR and a Walmot blooper are top of my want list.

Buzzkill361

Good Vibes Tribe

Nice!! That was a nice color for the lip wrap too.

MoltenTiger

Remember when you pointed this out when I was sharing a lot of stuff here? Looked it up, and its any one off made thing, something unique, an individually artisan made glass piece, the level and style of work varies by price and artist, so to you the definition means something else but that doesn't mean you're correct technically... a lot belongs in this thread (another thread with more specific category could help if you only want to see a certain level of glass yourself) as evidenced by all the people sharing stuff :tup:
I'd never quite wrapped my head around the 'terminology'. It's not really technical or descriptive. It's entirely colloquial language that has outspread its turf in an era of globalisation.

From what I gather, a 'heady' rig is a fancy loss leader article for a 'head shop'.
The current sales frontier is no longer anything like what a traditional head shop was. These articles now sell out of a hype market with hype colour, fad designs, and intensely varied profit margins.

No idea who coined the term 'head' thus 'heady', but it has spread quite far, further than the 'smart shop' title in the previous bubble of international cannabis notoriety.

With the explosion of glass blowers and the inertia of coveting, things have really panned out in a typically human and disappointing way to my eye.
It's actually mostly great to see this cultural evolution, and I don't mean to be a pessimist, but I'm hard to please, and it seems quite mislead with profiteering being the biggest detractor.

To me a true heady rig is fascinating art born from psychedelia obsession and passion.
Some artists are creating on very out there levels.
It's not easy, and a lot of upcomers are still honing their trade while the market floods.

Industrial skills and strengths exist due to user demand or powerful leverage.
Scientific glass blowing filled the shelves faster than the artisan stuff. It doesn't require the same level of time, technique or expensive materials and masterful flame and temp control. This is where the expression in the art is born. After all most glass use revolves around the flame, and mostly it is used to combust.
I caught wind of a combustion piece the other day, a rotten Aussie springer tube. Nastiest smell that I had all but forgotton. We call combusted bong residue 'death' here. Some people smoke it. Like some kind of prison reclaim. It puts in perspective the vast range of class a bong habit can exist on.
The most basic and largely questionable material paraphernalia sells the most. Utility drives the market. Ignorance is not bliss, it is numb.

These days there are 'dispensaries', 'DHgate', 'instagram'.
A new age rig, is just a rig. Psychedelia has transformed from a divine appreciation of fundamental design, into a microdose silicon bubble of depravity.

Art is a chance to stick to the fundamentals. Labelling art is for posers.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
We call combusted bong residue 'death' here. Some people smoke it. Like some kind of prison reclaim. It puts in perspective the vast range of class a bong habit can exist on.

LoLz. Yeah. I can remember the days way back, when I lived in an illegal state and was much younger and poorer than now. I would scrape my pipes and glass for resin, and then spread that out on a sheet of foil and smoke it like you would cocaine on the sheet by heating under the foil with a lighter, and inhaling the vapor/smoke produced through a tube (plastic straw, hollowed out pen casing, etc).

I didn't waste shit back in those days! Another way was to wad up a rolling paper, and stick it in some forceps and rub it in the resin inside of the dirty glass bong or pipe, then smoke that coated wad of paper in a bowl.

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Apparently to some "heady" glass seems to mean little more than how much it costs... ie: if it's cheap, it ain't "heady"...

Like the new baby recycler I got, I didn't dare post about it here (much) because other than the use of contoured tubing, it's what I'd basically consider to be "scientific" glass (no color or decorations) and was relatively cheap for US glass... same with my Goo Roo Glass 3-piece. And come to think of it, same with the fumed "Saki" bottle from Biao.t/Greek Glass despite the color and only cuz it was made in China... so, into the "Cheap High Quality Bubbler" thread (or other more specific threads) they go...!

Last edited:

coolbreeze

Maybe we need a 'headiesque' thread for decorated functionals. I think the artistic touches, if they're too few or of an insufficiently skill-demonstrating (or whatever the criteria) they have still had an artist's eye and hand taking them beyond a simple functional piece.

We could have two threads with some rough agreement on where the line would be or one thread where the spectrum is allowed latitude to compensate for learning, taste, and frankly, income. I think the thread as it is favors learning over a strict adherence to specific if undefined criteria.

NYC_Frank

"A man with no vices is a man with no virtues"
Heady 😎 ???

Screenshot-20230824-193758-Reddit.jpg

Texus

Heady 😎 ???
For me, enough nice lil touches in the color and some CFL tip it into heady land. Love the color work on that downstem, a nice touch on a classic design.

And the Giblock Jr just arrived. Side by side for comparison. 10mm doesn't have as much bloop. Honestly thought the 10mm would be smaller too. But love the function. And I'll prob use it for dabs (it ripped with a Globstopper), and the bloopier 14mm for flower. Bloop effect works better for clearing a chamber anyway, IME.

Last edited:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Heady 😎 ???

Screenshot-20230824-193758-Reddit.jpg

I don't know anything about the manufacturer mentioned, but that doesn't look "fully worked". Maybe it's just a fault of the blurry pic, but those wigwag designs look painted/printed on. Like, fake fully worked. Ya know?

I very well could be wrong, but that's what the picture looks like to me.

Ramahs,
Reactions: Photonic
Top Bottom