Hash rosin carts - taste like trash?

RxPlorer

Hi all.

I got out of the 510 cartridge scene because they always tasted like burnt garbage after the first dozen or so hits, despite always using only the lowest voltage settings of my pckt. Left me with only partially used carts that I just didn't want to touch anymore because of the lousy flavor. I did try some of the ceramic core pckt refillable carts, hoping that the upgraded materials would improve the experience, but it still wasn't super great.

This was before solventless hash rosin carts were really a thing so I'm wondering how much better they are now. Are there any cart brands that taste great all the way through, when paired with a good low-volt battery? Are any rosin connoisseurs here actually happy with the cart experience these days?

Would love to know before I buy into it again.

Last edited:
RxPlorer,

Dustin McKief

I'm not a connoisseur, but I've tried 2 live rosin brands (Willie's Reserve & Northern Standard). The flavor is decent but, for me, flower beats it by a mile.

They still have a place in my collection because they're so easy to carry and use on the go, and I can very easily microdose (something I'm still trying to figure out with flower). I've noticed that if I hit the rosin pen more often, I get an irritating tickle in the back of my throat, so I try to limit usage.

Farid

This is all 100% dependent on the manufacturer.

There is a world of difference between pressing low grade tumbler kief, and pressing melty sift. Both are technically hash rosin. Likewise the starting flower makes a huge difference as well.

I will say this: It's a lot easier to hide low quality starting material in a refined product than if that raw material is sold as is (in flower form).

But a reputable manufacturer can make a stellar product.

RxPlorer

So who are the 'reputable manufacturers'? And what is a decent low temp 510 battery for rosin carts?

The material I was using before was high quality distillate, typically Puffin Farms. I still think the voltage was ruining the experience, or the wick material. Or both. Or maybe carts are just never really all that good?

Cheers

Last edited:
RxPlorer,

jasp3r

So who are the 'reputable manufacturers'? And what is a decent low temp 510 battery for rosin carts?

The material I was using before was high quality distillate, typically Puffin Farms. I still think the voltage was ruining the experience, or the wick material. Or both. Or maybe carts are just never really all that good?

Cheers
Olipop, Lazercat, and Dablogic are my three favorites! They taste super terpy

Farid

Cheers

The best manufacturers are likely local, and will vary depending on your region. It's not easy to scale, especially with rosin. So if its a national company I'm always skeptical. Some huge brand are able to maintain quality by partnering with high quality local growers, but they have to hold their regional partners to extremely rigorous high standards.

High quality distillate is a bit of a misnomer. Distillate is generally made from lower grade biomass because it is so refined that the end user can hardly tell the difference. It doesn't make sense from a buisness perspective to use your best material. It's also going to have a distinct distillate flavor - which if you're looking for a flower like experience will leave a lot to be desired, regardless of the starting material used.

Last edited:

florduh

Hit the Rosin Cart at around 2 volts. If it doesn't taste good, the problem is with that particular extractor.

Last weekend I was visiting an art museum and wanted to top up my high a bit. Ducked into a restroom and ghosted a nice hit on a rosin cart. All in about 4 seconds. And went about enjoying my day. I can't imagine doing this with any load as you go concentrate or herb device.

Carts and pods have their place.

florduh

100% you could with the Cricket brother!

It's still on my radar for that reason. I'm hoping they come out with an adjustable airflow top in the near future.

If it could replace carts/pods... it would obviously pay for itself. I still think I'd need to have a cart/pod on hand though... they come in clutch on long flights. I guess it's possible to do a Cricket dab in an airplane lavatory, but it seems a bit riskier.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Actually the problem with rosin carts is rosin is very volatile aka temperature sensitive and most of the carts sit on the store shelf at room temperature; whereas rosin in the jar is usually refrigerated or frozen to lock in the terpenes.

For this reason there’s basically no such thing as a “live rosin cartridge” as it has to be kept cold to remain “live”

Keep in mind that around 90% of the plants terpenes are evaporated after drying for a week. Possibly the emulsification within the plant resins keep the terpenes intact longer than dried flower - to me it seems to; but it still doesn’t compensate for the difference between proper cold storage.

Why have I thought about this in such great detail? Well because I’ve been working on my own concept for creating improved solventless pen oils, of course!

staircase slight of hand

For this reason there’s basically no such thing as a “live rosin cartridge” as it has to be kept cold to remain “live”

Isn’t the “live” just a reference to when the source material is run (i.e. fresh-frozen vs cured)? I don’t follow how refrigerating a terpy live rosin cart is going to keep it “alive” in a way that wouldn’t apply to a terpy cured resin cart.

staircase slight of hand,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
710 Labs does recommend storing their pods in a fridge. I'll admit I'm not good at doing it though.

I had hope! But everyone in their service department tells me it doesn’t matter if they’re refrigerated when I complained that my pods had no flavor 🤷

Isn’t the “live” just a reference to when the source material is run (i.e. fresh-frozen vs cured)? I don’t follow how refrigerating a terpy live rosin cart is going to keep it “alive” in a way that wouldn’t apply to a terpy cured resin cart.

Because it has to stay cold to retain the volatiles; if you made live rosin but only stored it at ambient room temperature you’re never going to taste the flavors you were trying to retain from the fresh frozen extraction.

Cured resin is almost always made from trim so the majority of the terpenes (~90%) are already gone before an extraction ever takes place.

Top Bottom