Hammocks

bcleez

I have been looking for a nice hammock ever since I have moved to Florida. I was wondering if anyone had any input on hammocks or hammock STANDS... I have been researching them like crazy and there are just so many types and online its hard to tell the quality of the steel etc.

Hopefully someone can advise me on a quality hammock stand to make my life 10x better.

bcleez,

getvaked

these look awesome

powder-royal-s.jpg

http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/single-nest-hammock.html

getvaked,

bcleez

Yeah the thing that sucks is that I don't have trees to tie it to... So I need a stand... which works out because I have a big glass sunroom & screened in porch so I can move it back and forth.

That one does look nice though. See how happy that guy is? That is what I am looking for. The prices range SO MUCH that it is really hard to tell what is crap, a deal, or too expensive.

The price on that one is actually pretty good.

I am looking at the stands that are 13-15 feet, I think metal is the best bet, even though I would love to have some of the wood ones, but I think the metal ones are good for the first purchase.

Some of you stoners must have hammock experience... if not you are totally missing out.

bcleez,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
lol, I bought one a few years back thinking how awesome it would be to kick back in it ;)

It was fine for awhile but the frame didn't hold up well probably from being near water. The hammock itself got mildewey easily and I spent a lot of time bleaching it. My husband could not wait to get rid of it and asked me what I had been thinking. I had bought a cheapie.

I wish Tropitone made one, they're stuff us very well made, powder coated and came with a 15yr warranty. They gave us a whole new patio set when the paint started chipping after 5 years ;)

I have heard that you cannot beat the Hatteras Hammocks and have lounged in one....very nice!!
http://hatterashammocks.com

Good luck!

Lo,

bcleez

Lo! How close are you to Venice?? I need to know what fun stuff there is to do around here. 2 weeks in and my wife and I are pretty bored. I am heading to Siesta Key tomorrow, but there has to be some fun stuff that we don't know about, that locals hide from tourists & new people... btw I am not interested in high school football :p

I have seen those hatteras hammocks they are awesome, I am just hoping that I don't need to spend $500 on a wooden stand just yet... and the metal ones...180 to 200 I just hope there is a cheaper way! The actual hammocks can be upwards of $200... would love to have some input on them.

btw if you get high and haven't laid in a nice hammock you are really missing out on a wonderful experience.

bcleez,

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
I just got a $120 home depot metal stand. Definitely not super sturdy, but also not getting in the way of enjoying my hammock.

Those wood stands are gorgeous, but this one is getting the job done so far.

rabblerouser,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Hey Bcleez....We're practically neighbors :D I'm right next to Venice lol

You'll have to let me know what kind of things you guys are into....feel free to email me if you'd like. BTW, no high school football for me....or any other football for that matter ;)

Quite a bit of nature areas, touristy stuff but a lot of us locals usually just hang at the beach, parks (dog park) or are out on the water. I do know the Sarasota area very well haveing lived there for yerars, Venice...still learning but I'm sure I could point you in some direction!! Oh....and Welcome to Florida!!

Lo,

mattybass

Quasi-Intellectual
Haha bcleez I laughed out loud when I read that a hammock would "make my life 10x better". Definitely know what you mean about chillin in a hammock. We have one between two large birch trees overlooking the lake that my cabin is on. You have to love the floating sensation (moreso :o).

I don't know if you're looking for a permanent stand or not, but why not save a shitload of money and just buy a 12' treated fencepost, crosscut it in half, put a couple eyebolts at the top and bury each post 2'? $20 max. It's sort of permanent, but then you don't have one of those ugly metal rollcage-looking things on your lawn. Granted you can move that, but since you dont have trees you have no real shade to pull a hammock under anyway! Landscape a water feature in somewhere close too.

Photo is the hammock at my cabin:

00110020.jpg

mattybass,

bcleez

That's a good idea. I actually found one of those stands & hammock & pillow for $50 on craigslist. The person was moving and wanted it gone. Just sanded & painted it to make it look pretty. Came with a nice pawley hammock. I have a huge sunroom and screened in porch so i want to be able to move it back and forth.

You are right though, even though I think the stand I have is pretty good quality, its not great. All of the stands seem the same with the buttons that lock the tubes in place. Rabblerouser seems like the home depot type but from my research the all look the same until you hop up to one of those beautiful ones.
Like you said it does the job.

I am loving it though, and for $50 its a great intro to the hammock game.

bcleez,

Plotinus

if you go the craigslist route, watch out for bed bugs. dunno about where you are but on the east coast, and especially in urban areas, they're basically a plague. any time you buy anything fabric based on craigslist you should double and triple check that it's safe first, especially if you're planning on makign this an indoor hammock.

Plotinus,

bcleez

Good advice, I just looked up how to check for them and did it. I am good to go. Where did this bed bug epidemic come from?

bcleez,
...looks like I'm a little late here, but I'll add this for future knowledge or other folks who are looking. I picked up one of these a long time ago at a store in Boulder called Hang Ups.
11555593.jpg

These things are the ultimate hammock IMO. Hand made in the Yucatan and beautiful. Apparently, a lot of people use them for sleeping down there because they are very comfortable, and can be folded away during daytime hours to save space. I can tell you that I actually did sleep in mine for the better part of a month one summer. :D Not sure where to advise people to get one these days, a quick google search turned up some good info on them (sizing, history etc) at a site called (hammock jungle dot com) Let me know if you have any questions. Enjoy the relaxation!
11555594.jpg

wunderkind,
Top Bottom