Growing Career path

oreo47

Hi
I am from Ireland and unfortunately growing here is illegal. I would love to grow as my career in the future though. I have looked into horticulture/plant science courses but i do not think it is a viable option. I was wondering if any one could give advice on how I Might get into the industry/area. Its obviously not as straight forward to the US or canada. My ideas so far have been to maybe try and get into the legal hemp industry (maybe this would be not relevant or adequate enough) or to try and get in contact with a good grower in europe and try and learn from them. I would be willing to relocate any where in europe. If anyone could give any suggestions or tips I would really appreciate it as I am currently lost in life and this is the only light at the end of the tunnel but I dont know how to make it possible and dont want to be shooting my foot getting into and investing in an area I cant advance in.
thanks

oreo47,
Reactions: shredder

Farid

The internet is a great resource. The more you read the more you'll learn about different techniques, and from there you can choose your own path. I'd focus on building your own small hobby setup before even considering commercial.

I started going to school for plant biology, motivated by the same goal of working in commercial growing. I quickly realized that commercial growing is (like every other industry) driven by profit. A lot of the conventional wisdom around growing is based on maximizing yields, and fast grow cycles. I realized my passion for cannabis was better spent as a hobby, and I switched to studying engineering.

Discussion of growing isn't allowed here but I figure since we're not going into detail about cultivation maybe this thread can stay?

Farid,

shredder

Hi
I am from Ireland and unfortunately growing here is illegal. I would love to grow as my career in the future though. I have looked into horticulture/plant science courses but i do not think it is a viable option. I was wondering if any one could give advice on how I Might get into the industry/area. Its obviously not as straight forward to the US or canada. My ideas so far have been to maybe try and get into the legal hemp industry (maybe this would be not relevant or adequate enough) or to try and get in contact with a good grower in europe and try and learn from them. I would be willing to relocate any where in europe. If anyone could give any suggestions or tips I would really appreciate it as I am currently lost in life and this is the only light at the end of the tunnel but I dont know how to make it possible and dont want to be shooting my foot getting into and investing in an area I cant advance in.
thanks

Your best bet to have a good job in this industry would be to continue your education. The "grunt" workers who do the manual labor are not paid all that well. The best paying jobs are in testing or lab work, bean counters (accountants), or an investor/owner.

If you have a degree in a relevant field, its also transferable to other career options, unlike trimmers or bud tenders.

Top Bottom