• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Grav vs High Standard or others

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
People please stop supporting China!

See, I think cheap mass-produced glass has it's place. It's good for a cheap daily driver that you don't have to be super careful with because it wouldn't be the end of the world if it broke. It's also good for new glass users to get a few different kinds of cheap pieces to figure out what style they like before they improve on it by investing in a quality thick artisan piece from a domestic blower.

Also, there are plenty of people here that do not live in America. Don't forget that.
Are you saying that their glass-blowers are shit as well?

Last edited:

cr0wley

truth is, frogs were gay from the start.
LMAO, sure thing. Post links to confirm your accusation or go away gay frog.

Who are you exactly? Oh right, someone mouthy that doesn't know anything about glass.

I'm 100% behind the messages in here about supporting local artists and economy. It's also regrettable that import glass is often made in poor working conditions - though this is certainly not a problem exclusive to the manufacture of glass and I would want to believe American companies like Grav and TAG wouldn't allow this to be a part of their business.

But the scare messages about cancer and such are ludicrous. If you're gonna clean your dishware before you use it, clean your bongs before you use them.

The American vs Chinese debate is long-standing, complicated and at this point it's politicized. This article is written by American glass blowers and linked on every product listing on that site, I wouldn't take it as the word of God.

Again I understand the issues with China glass, but the American glass industry isn't without its own sins. The market for heady glass is completely fucked at this point, prices are driven by hype and (artificial?) scarcity as much as or more than quality of workmanship. This has also lead to a lot of gatekeeping and elitism by collectors and blowers. There is definitely also some garbage American glass out there.

Yeah, my problem with a lot of these "American" brands is simply that they are being disingenuous to their customers. You can get decent ACTUAL American made rigs for the same price that Grav and co charge for China wholesale rigs.

Morty

Why so defensive?

Hey new guy, cut out the bullshit. This is how you respond to a member who has actually been here for more than a minute, unlike yourself? It's been standard knowledge for years Grav is marked up China glass.

Your the same guy who made the thread b/c he couldn't fill up his butane torch. There's this thing called Google, that if you would of taken 2 seconds to use, would of resulted in knowing about Grav and provide answers to all of your rudimentary thread starter questions.

Sick of seeing people like you who know nothing, been here for a few seconds throwing there weight around like they lived here for years. Maybe Reddit would better suit you.

tb42091

To be fair @Kins - you are acting like you made the most polite posts and can't understand why anyone would come back at you in an annoyed tone.

In reality you made antagonizing and questionable claims about Mav, Higher Standards and Diamond Glass (all of which are accused of selling china glass) and definitely false claims about Grav (who is 100% known to be china glass). Then you posted an opinion piece on why not to support China - which is fine - but you follow with a snarky remark, not only doubting what is well known (that grav, etc are from china) but also laughing at the person who posted it as if it were an absurd statement.

So it is quite clear to me why people got defensive. You own China-made glass yourself....some might consider it worse that you didn't do your own research on what is clearly an important subject for you, so as to not support China unknowingly.
DH Gate is Chinese crap. Support America by purchasing American made glass. Mav and Higher Standards are excellent choices.
Well that sucks for a lot of people. Good I only have a few small pipes from grav. I'd never knowingly support China either. I don't know why people do. People really should think about what they are supporting when they knowingly purchase Chinese made glass.
People please stop supporting China!

Thanks. It seems some people get really upset when then don't agree with my opinion.

Now do you get it?

Kins

To be fair @Kins - you are acting like you made the most polite posts and can't understand why anyone would come back at you in an annoyed tone.

In reality you made antagonizing and questionable claims about Mav, Higher Standards and Diamond Glass (all of which are accused of selling china glass) and definitely false claims about Grav (who is 100% known to be china glass). Then you posted an opinion piece on why not to support China - which is fine - but you follow with a snarky remark, not only doubting what is well known (that grav, etc are from china) but also laughing at the person who posted it as if it were an absurd statement.

So it is quite clear to me why people got defensive. You own China-made glass yourself....some might consider it worse that you didn't do your own research on what is clearly an important subject for you, so as to not support China unknowingly.

Now do you get it?

No. If people can't handle themselves or are bothered by others opinions so much they shouldn't leave the house or go on the internet, or watch tv, or really do anything. I'm not gonna walk on eggshells. If people can't handle it then they should just put me on ignore.

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
@Kins The forum rules actually do require members to post with a certain amount of respect and civility. It makes this a nicer place for everyone.

If you want to get into geopolitical discussion, those rules are especially important. Such issues are more complicated than they might seem. I don't think it's possible to post on the internet without "supporting Chinese manufacturing" This thread is not a good place for that discussion anyway.

:peace:

Kins

Hey new guy, cut out the bullshit. This is how you respond to a member who has actually been here for more than a minute, unlike yourself? It's been standard knowledge for years Grav is marked up China glass.

Your the same guy who made the thread b/c he couldn't fill up his butane torch. There's this thing called Google, that if you would of taken 2 seconds to use, would of resulted in knowing about Grav and provide answers to all of your rudimentary thread starter questions.

Sick of seeing people like you who know nothing, been here for a few seconds throwing there weight around like they lived here for years. Maybe Reddit would better suit you.
@Kins The forum rules actually do require members to post with a certain amount of respect and civility. It makes this a nicer place for everyone.

If you want to get into geopolitical discussion, those rules are especially important. Such issues are more complicated than they might seem. I don't think it's possible to post on the internet without "supporting Chinese manufacturing" This thread is not a good place for that discussion anyway.

:peace:

Well I'm done talking about it anyway. The "discussion" has run it's course.

Ramahs

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Oh well,
E54412E722798BD88979DCA1260387F0B992B374

Last edited:

Alexis

Good to see you actively Piping in with standard, real pinpoint enthusiastic perspective.

Nutty year! Hope you are doing okay mate.

And I just quick checked- I expect few members here realise how rare it is for members to receive 4 likes on average per post but you have certainly overtaken that as a mark of how appreciated your presence is on this forum.

I myself, sadly, am not that popular boo-hoo haha!

Kins

For those over you that think the Higher Standards Heavy Duty glass rigs are made in China,

Kins,

Robindean

So after knowingly supporting grave after my last piece was bought that was imo crap, along with buying their different joint accessories, and compare to the standard Chinese stuff sold in headshops. They might be Chinese, but their quality vs the cheaper stuff. And i get discounts from the store, makes it worth it. Never any issues with bad joints. So far.

Now to HS. Saw it in stores, and after being struck by it in person...i knew id buy the heavy duty rig. And it is just solid. i use my grav adapters and kinda put my grav collection away in for this. Got a great discount and bought it from their website. Very impressed. And for some reason they sent me their heavy duty spoon for no charge. i don't combust much...but when i gave into temptation....that is amazing hit from it.

Though if you wanna support the real texas based grav guys, gotta go to their helix line.

Ramahs

I've made six purchases from GRAV over the last couple of years, and I've been happy with all of them.

Well, almost all of them. Full disclosure...the sixth purchase was actually only made a few hours ago. So, I don't have it yet :party:

Sour Dream

Blue Dream enthusiast

American made very fair prices and good quality work.
We have around 9 or so of their pieces and don't regret any of them.
I forgot all about this place I think someone linked it before a few months ago thanks I’ll probably shop their next

Top Bottom