Glass VaporGenie vs VaporStar comparison review

Bananiq

VaporGenie and VaporStar belong to the most popular lighter powered portable units.

When I came to vaporizing, I and others have suffered from lack of information about both these units in head-to-head. So I went to VaporStar firstly because of its attractive price. First impressions were great and after few sessions, when I figured out the technique well, I knew I'm gonna be a die-hard fuck-combuster. VS was fast, efficient and tasty. Then VaporGenie company released the glass version of their pipe. I could not wait anymore. I've bought GlassVG and my love to vaporizing grew even more.

The advantages of these small lighter powered vaporHighzers are significant comparing to the much more bigger, expensive, technologically complicated, electrically powered vaporizers. You don't have to wait for heat-up which can take several minutes. Just take & vape. Furthermore, the shorter vapor path, the less active ingredients lost. Claims of inhaled butane are irrelevant when torch/jet-lighter is used. Also, with lighter powered vape, you can adjust the temperature to whatever you want according to your experience and extract all the THC and other important cannabinoids which are released at higher temperatures and, moreover, you can get hits with gradually increasing tempterature during inhaling, which you cannot with many others vapes. That is why I see the possibility of combustion as an advantage because if you master the technique, you can vaporize all of the goodness if you exactly know where is the border of combustion.

Lets see how did these two biggest rivals in head-to-head.

Here's my LQ warm-up video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CLSsFDmrlU

VaporStar
photocroppedforweb.jpg

Glass VaporGenie
open1500x1000jpg.jpg

I will share my experiences with you by comparing these two units in several categories.

1. Portability

VaporStar
7.5 / 10

Glass VaporGenie
7.5 / 10

Both vaporizers can be used outdoors but they are not 100% portable units.
You can choose any of the various cool mini bongs to travel with your VaporStar. I have chosen the molino mini bong:

VaporStar is easy to hide in the pocket due to its size: 15g, 7cm long. But bong + mouthpiece + tweezers = that's a lot of things to carry with. I had problems with stucking metal cap in the VS's bowl, but now, sometimes while carrying in the pocket, the metal cap tends to fall out the VaporStar's bowl and the loaded herb as well.

GlassVG is 18 cm long and 10 cm tall and the best way is to carry it in the pouch, which protects the VG pretty well. The top filter-piece do not tend to fall out the pipe while carrying in the pouch. The pouch is pretty big, there is a 16.4" laptop next to the hemp-pouch to compare sizes.

However, I would not recommend to use Glass VaporGenie outside, since I've learnt my lesson. While VS has a lot of accessories, GlassVG is bigger and all glass. I think Classic Aluminum VaporGenie or Bat ownz this issue.

2. Efficiency

VaporStar
9.5 / 10

Glass VaporGenie
9 / 10

Comparing the efficiency rate of both units is pretty tricky. In general, lighter powered vapes are as much efficient as good is your technique. However, the GlassVG has by 50% deeper bowl than regular VG, which is better for bigger sessions, but when you load too much, you have to stir the herb after each hit because the herb is being vaporized from the top to the bottom so the very top herb can be dark while the bottom is still fresh green.

VS takes a lead. VaporStar's efficiency is slightly better because of the smaller bowl, and the material, shape and 'U' design of the VaporStar's metal cap provide vaporizing at more steady temperature. I find the possibility of twisting the bowl after the each hit more like an advantage as a necessity.

I would say you can extract the same amount of goodness from both units but VaporStar makes the loaded herb go brown and powder-like faster.

3. Convenient usage & reloading

VaporStar
8.0 / 10

Glass VaporGenie
10 / 10

Messing with accessories while flying in the clouds is annoying. Here, the GlassVG wins by far. It has cool shape and screen doesn't fall out while emptying the bowl. It stands on a flat surface. Just 2 pieces, no screwing, no tweezers just ligther, you, and your universe :) I think there won't be more convenient vape as Glass VaporGenie. It's fantastic!

VaporStar is still easier to use than most other portable vaporizers.

Hint: you can add some hot water into the bong for milder and smoother hits.

Hint#2: The metal cap of VS gets very hot, so advise your stoned friends not to touch it! Use tweezers. The wooden bowl gets hot but it is safe to touch.

Glass VaporGenie is safer. The top filter piece doesn't get hot, just warm. You can reload the bowl or stir the herb right after the session without worries. The hottest part is the bended joint area under the bowl and the bowl itself. But not so hot to burn you. I am actually holding the Glass VG at the joint and bowl to heat my hands when being in a cold environment :D

4. Stealth

The stealthy usage was the minor priority in designing both units. Thank God. I like when I 'light' my vape rather then heat it somehow invisibly, that's why I don't recommend you to use it in the bus, theatre, cinema or other public places. I vape in close circle of my friends rather than in some public areas.

5. Pre-heating & additional-heating

VaporStar
9.5 / 10

Glass VaporGenie
9 / 10

These units became so popular also thanks to their short pre-heat time. Shorter than many (if not every) other vaporizers. But all I can say is technique. In general, the slower you inhale, the more you heat. The faster you inhale, the more you cool. You have to figure out what's best. But generally, VaporStar is quicker. 7-10 seconds to pre-heat 1st draw. Then 3-5 seconds for additional heatings. It depends on pace of your breath and also lighter used. However, be aware that quick VS's heating times can mean the higher chance of combustion, especially for newbie users.

I've measured GlassVG's timings as 8-10 seconds for pre-heat and 4-6 seconds for additional drawings. It's because the VG loses its gained heat faster due to bigger bowl and also the ceramic heating element doesn't tend to keep its hot temperature as stainless steel metal cap used in VaporStar, but if you've done the technique well, you can reach pretty same timings as with VS.

Both units can provide big hits in really short heating time. If you want really massive hits, I would like to suggest you to use the torch/jet-lighter rather than the regular/bic lighter for both units. However, It's more difficult to learn the technique with the jet-lighter so if you're new, start with a bic and then go for a torch.

Another point which makes me love the torch is, that it creates the airflow itself. You basically don't have to suck the air while heating first second(s) to achieve better results for high vapor/air ratio lovers.

For the best results with VS, I would advise you to point the jet flame vertically to the metal cap's hole but be very careful, since it is very easy to burn the wooden bowl and damage your VaporStar.

Hint: The hottest point of the torch-flame is at the tip of the inner cone, where the pale flame meets the deeper-colored outer flame, but for the fastest heating, keep the whole visible flame above the filter. Try to vary the distance of the flame to the filter while inhaling and combine it with your breath control. I prefer when I get shots with gradually increasing temperature, starting from low temp and ending at higher. After you master the technique, you can achieve big and dense clouds without combustion.

Hint#2: To shorten the pre-heat timing, try to heat the filter units above the flame separately, before the session.

6. Taste & vapor path

VaporStar
9.0 / 10

Glass VaporGenie
9.5 / 10

Both units provide tasty hits. But glass is glass and I find GlassVG's hits more clean. It's like a heaven. AFAIK Glass VaporGenie is the first all-glass vaporizing pipe with convection method of heating. A difference between the taste of using the hempwick and torch-lighter is that the hempwick creates smoother and the torch-lighter cleaner taste.

On the other hand, I don't recommend to use the hempwick or any other candle-flame source with VaporStar. The flame touches the metal cap and produces soot and wax taste.

The torch-lighter completely burns butane so there isn't soot created. Using the torch-lighter with both units is the best way IMO. However, it lowers the lifetime of the VaporStar.

The VaporStar's metal cap is less thermostable than ceramic heating element of VaporGenie. Stainless steel (VS) oxidizes at ca 800C while silicon carbid (VG) @ 1400-1500C. Oxidizing stainless steel can be noticed as a little change of the color of the metal (like when you hold screens above the torch-flame) and releasing minor metal fumes which are not toxic. It's an advantage for the ceramic heating element of VG in terms of the purer air path, but on the other hand, the stainless steel is better at keeping the hot temperatures as I've mentioned above.

The air path of VaporStar goes through the stianless steel metal cap, screen, wooden bowl and glass bong
in case of Glass VaporGenie it's all glass except the silicon carbid filter (+ its stainless steel retaining wire) and screen.

7. Durability

VaporStar
8 / 10

Glass VaporGenie
7 / 10

Although glass can be shattered, it lasts longer than wood. However, VaporStar wins this one. Wood can survive fall on hard surface, glass not. But after a year of usage, mine VaporStar's bowl is burned from inner-side caused by the heat of the metal cap. Moreover, using jet-lighter will decrease the lifetime of VaporStar.

Obviously, both units are not 100% durable, so you have to treat them nicely but there is not need of any superb special attention. Glass VaporGenie is made of high quality borosilicate glass with thickness from 2.5 - 5 mm. So you can handle GlassVG without worries. (lol).

EDIT: Since I broke my second Glass VG, I have chance to play with the Ceramic filter. Although I assumed it to be very durable in long-term, the 'ceramic sponge' is showing a degradation after half year of use. The filter leaves black dust after gently scraping the edge of the ceramic filter with tweezers. This find may relate to others' claims about "shrinking" filters on the VaporGenie thread.

8. Maintenance

Glass doesn't get old and is easier to clean than wood. But I don't find this so important. It should be an enjoyment for a vape-enthusiast to clean his beloved vaporizer ;)

Hint: After 5 sessions, try to do dry runs without the filter but do not let the flame touch anything. This evaporates the sedimentary goodness and you can get usually few really solid hits :brow: After a few weeks, I tried to 'lightbulb style' vaporize the residue in my molino glass bong which I use with VaporStar, and it worked perfectly. It gave me astonishing full 4 sessions of vaporizing!

Hint#2: I suggest for Glass VaporGenie owners to use bic lighter when there are soot/particles visible on the ceramic VG filter. It cleans it better than jet-flame (when the filter remains untached by the flame of course)

Verdict & recommendations

VaporStar
Portability 7.5
Efficiency 9.5
Convenient usage & reloading 8.0
Pre-heating & additional-heating 9.5
Taste & vapor path 9.0
Durability 8.0

Glass VaporGenie
Portability 7.5
Efficiency 9.0
Convenient usage & reloading 10
Pre-heating & additional-heating 9.0
Taste & vapor path 9.5
Durability 7.0

VaporStar = effectivity & value Glass VaporGenie = taste & luxury

I would like to emphasize, that both vaporizers are high-quality and you can not go wrong with either one.

If you are on a budget, have nothing against the wood, prefer maximum efficiency, or have some glass bongs already go with VaporStar which is considered as the best vape in quality/value ratio.

If you are an all-glass lover or want to experience luxurious and tasty vapors with style, go with Glass VaporGenie :) but you have to be aware that it is breakable.

If you want a vaporizer for outdoor/mountains/snowboarding activities, go with Classic Aluminum or Bat VaporGenie.

BTW, VaporStar plans to make the glass version. What a great news!

Where to buy?
You can buy VaporStar for 20 + any bong you like, but I recommend a smaller one, due to a better breath control.
Official website
http://vaporstar.co.uk/id47.html
Azarius:
http://azarius.net/headshop/vaporizers/portable_vaporizers/vaporizer_vaporstar/
EDIT:
http://www.everyonedoesit.co.uk/online_headshop/Vapourstar__Vapourising_Bowl.cfm?iProductID=4203

Glass VaporGenie is available only on VaporGenie website for $99
https://www.vaporgenie.com/Glass.html

Some pictures
This is what left of my Glass VaporGenie :'(

Another GlassVG disaster :( VG holds on rubber bands

Ceramic filter (leftovers)

HempWick and SpaceCase Ti Medium

Chilling with VS
iphonepictures023.jpg

EDIT#5: adaptations of some ratings

Happy cloud tripping :brow:

:peace:

?

Bananiq,

standard

Thanks for the awesome write-up! That picture of your decapitated genie at the end... pure horror!!

standard,

FEAR420

Very good writeup Banan!! Im still trying to decide if I wanna splurge the $100 on a GVG or not...I really do like it & I absolutely LOVE my VG,....so I can only imagine what that GVG is like. :brow: Im 1000% positive my next purchase is going to be the Glass Vapo-Bowl...if anything just for the glass bowl itself since you said the VS top will fit it. After that,I'll probably be saving up for a few more pieces...and after this write-up,the GVG just might be on that list.

FEAR420,

Bananiq

Im glad you guys liked my text. It was my first proper review :)

FEAR: Im not sure if the VS'cap fit on the glass vapo bowl, but as soon as my friend got his order I will inform you. And if you like your classic VG I would definitely recommend you glass VG :p you will be more than satisfied

Bananiq,

FEAR420

Bananiq said:
Im glad you guys liked my text. It was my first proper review :)

FEAR: Im not sure if the VS'cap fit on the glass vapo bowl, but as soon as my friend got his order I will inform you. And if you like your classic VG I would definitely recommend you glass VG :p you will be more than satisfied
Ahhhh,ok...so its not 100% yet...oh well.Im gonna order the Glass Vapo-Bowl anywayz just due to price alone. Hell man,ya just cant go wrong...$30 for the pair and Ill be able to vape with EVERYTHING I OWN. I got my 14MM G-On-G adapter thru VapeWorld.com for $15,then Ill have the 19MM GVB,the metal screw on VB for my older pieces from my teenage years + my VG top & the VaporStar(which I lost the tweezers to :( ).

So I think thats how its gonna go...Metal VB & 19MM Glass VB,then GVG...:brow:

FEAR420,

Bananiq

hmm that would bee nicee .. im jealous :D i will steal my friends glass vb :D ... dont worry Ive lost the tweezers too and broke the mini traveller bong, and my vaporstar is burned... but doesnt matter, I m vape enthusiast:D .. got to vape with VS right now, wanna join? :D

Bananiq,

FEAR420

Bananiq said:
hmm that would bee nicee .. im jealous :D i will steal my friends glass vb :D ... dont worry Ive lost the tweezers too and broke the mini traveller bong, and my vaporstar is burned... but doesnt matter, I m vape enthusiast:D .. got to vape with VS right now, wanna join? :D
l actually just ran .2 of Sour Diesel thru the VG and Im pretty fuckin vaked ATM. :ko: Think I might polish off this last lil .2 nugglet in the VS & save the last gram for later. :D

Did your VS seem to go "out-of-round" after a few uses? Mine seems warped somehow now and taking the "cap" on & off has become quite a pain & challenge.Its been bothering me but since Im in here & packing up the VS I figure I may as well mention it....:uhoh:

FEAR420,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Bananiq said:
My VS is burned too... all the way around the bowl, stupid friends... but I think it adds character... I ordered two sets of tweezers with my VS, already lost one pair. Have since sold my original glass too a friend because he broke his... Been thinking of ordering two more VS (no glass, just the VS) and mark them too use for different things. That and it will be nice too have a spare sitting in wait, just in case I lose something.
Glass VG is on my list of vapes too get... I find it hard not too collect vaporizers... only own four, but have bought much more than that over my vaping history.

FEAR420, I think your cap is sticking in the bowl because of Oil and Herb Material build up. The more you use it the more the cap sticks in the bowl. Also the wood expands as it gets warmer, The more you use it, the tighter the fit. I find I have too scrape the sides of the bowl once a month too make sure the Cap can be removed.

I use my VS too vape hash, and oil, over my VG... however I think a glass VG would do just as good as the VS. I don't use the wooden VG because of how oily vaping Hash can get...

Hey bananiq, How hot is the filter part of the VG when you are done with a bowl, or need too take it off too stir your herb?

DevoTheStrange,

Bananiq

:D plz define "out-of-round" .. im not native american but I try hard very hard at school :D:D
Im just right soo in the clouds as well:D listening to some russian psychedelic trance :D I had only 0.05g of some indoor, and im away this dimensions :p

ps: I've discovered that, the more far I heat my VS with jet-lighter, the more heat there comes... while when I heat the VS from close-distance, it doesnt reach the top temperature so quick. Thats interesting news IMHO... that means you have another variable in terms of controling the temperature, which is not possible using the regular bic lighter in such measures.... :D lol I realize im too enthusiastic about I can help myself:D:D vaping is soo great
:peace::peace::peace::peace:

Bananiq,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Out Of Round is a term for records or disks, or anything with a round shape... it means they are warped

DevoTheStrange,

FEAR420

DevoTheStrange said:
Out Of Round is a term for records or disks, or anything with a round shape... it means they are warped
Mine seems to have a slight egg-shape to it now...:/

FEAR420,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Well.. would def say yours is "Out Of Round"
Might have too bend it back into shape.. but that can be tricky. Wonder how that happened. And if it is common.

DevoTheStrange,

FEAR420

DevoTheStrange said:
Wonder how that happened. And if it is common.
Thats exactly why I posted about it...Bugging me out. I've never dropped it or squeezed it,so I have no clue whats going on. Ill try to maybe take a lil sandpaper to the inside & reround it.

FEAR420,

Bananiq

FEAR: :D RIGHT now, I have the opposite problem - mine VS's cap is falling off while carrying in the pocket! I assume you to rasp the edges of the metal cap. that helped me.. Or just clean the connecting places of bowl and metal cap.

DevoTheSrange: LMFAO :D:D I think we have same issues. I solved it by lighting my friend's hit by myself :D:D Since than, no more burned VS.
The Top filter piece is actually not hot whatsoever... the warmest part is the twisted joint place under the bowl, where my GVG cracked. (But I dont think it is its cause), and also the bowl is warm. But not hot. IMHO.

Bananiq,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
FEAR420 said:
DevoTheStrange said:
Wait.. .which part is egg shaped? the Cap? or the Bowl?
Inner part of the bowl. Cap is still perfectly round.
Bet you its the quality of the wood used for the bowl. Something about the grain or something causing it too warp too that particular shape. I thought you were talking about the Cap. Was thinking too myself, how in the hell did that get bent?
not all wood expands equally..

DevoTheStrange,

FEAR420

DevoTheStrange said:
FEAR420 said:
DevoTheStrange said:
Wait.. .which part is egg shaped? the Cap? or the Bowl?
Inner part of the bowl. Cap is still perfectly round.
Bet you its the quality of the wood used for the bowl. Something about the grain or something causing it too warp too that particular shape. I thought you were talking about the Cap. Was thinking too myself, how in the hell did that get bent?
not all wood expands equally..
Nothing a dremel with a sanding drum & some 800 grit or the wire brush cant handle :D

FEAR420,

Bananiq

fear: I think the cause of eggshaped bowl is you maybe let your metal cap very hot for longer time, it spreaded and burned the wooden bowl in egg-shape,.. IMHO ..

Bananiq,

FEAR420

Bananiq said:
fear: I think the cause of eggshaped bowl is you maybe let your metal cap very hot, it spreaded and burned the wooden bowl in egg-shape,.. IMHO ..
Its possible. I did just buy a torch lighter last night for $5 & its been working much better....even burned out the one small soot spot I had in the VG cap :D I think from now on,Ill do the vape lighting since my friends like to combust & then I gotta dump the bowl into my ABV jar :/:|

FEAR420,

Bananiq

shit I don't have the ABV jar, since I saw what vtac posted where he was cooking brownies, I will keep the ABV from now on :D I thought there isnt any goodness left..but obviously it is... anyway

Mine friends are some bad but also some experienced (trained by me :D ) but since I got torch lighter.. nobody burned the VS !! and torch cleans screens like a champ!:p :peace::2c:

Bananiq,

FEAR420

Bananiq said:
shit I don't have the ABV jar, since I saw what vtac posted where he was cooking brownies, I will keep the ABV from now on :D I thought there isnt any goodness left..but obviously it is... anyway

Mine friends are some bad but also some experienced (trained by me :D ) but since I got torch lighter.. nobody burned the VS !! and torch cleans screens like a champ!:p :peace::2c:
I just took some pix of my jar,gimme a few to UL them & post em...

5169e2ba.jpg

98e45058.jpg

aed8550a.jpg

FEAR420,

Bananiq

niiiiice.. ..quite a lot !! :D . well ... that is nicely green !! h
heh I couldn't leave this unvaped :D

Bananiq,
Top Bottom