Glass...Pros & Cons

Chicken Charlie

MicroDose Cognoscente
Greetings...I'm new to vaping in general and glass in particular. What are the associated benefits and corresponding negatives associated with ingesting via a glass piece.

Chicken Charlie,

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
Positives:
-Adds moisture to vapor
-Cools vapor/heats vapor - Depending on water temperature
-Filters fine debris that would otherwise end up in your mouth/throat
-Adds to the vaping experience - there is something tranquil about watching and listening to bubbles dance around with vapor - I used water pipes when I combusted and it would fly through flowers (and stink), with vapor you can get mega amount of hits and your glass barely gets dirty.
-With glass you can see the vapor before it hits your lungs - this allows you to adjust your heater for more/less vapor and judge when your material is spent. I like using a mirror with a white CFL illuminating my bubbler.
-Water helps regulate and control your draw. With a straight whip I have trouble keeping a steady pace and find myself drawing too fast because there is no resistance.

Cons:
-Nice glass is $$$
-Easily breakable
-Adds to maintenance, keeping another device clean
-if you enjoy using glass you risk getting addicted and developing GAS (glass acquisition syndrome). Which the only cure is VAS (vaporizer acquisition syndrome). You have been warned, :D

Chicken Charlie

MicroDose Cognoscente
Thank-you...re. Cons I agree with points 1 and 4. I've only had this Mobius piece (for less-than a week) and am already eying a Toro...sadly I meet criteria constant with a number of emotional maladies
presented in the DSM-5 and can ill-afford another (if for no other reason) VAS is not covered by health care insurance providers and I cannot afford to pay out of pocket.

SD_haze

If you're vaping through water without cleaning & sanitizing it reasonably often enough, you may introduce a mildew/mold aspect that usually isn't an issue with a dry vapor whip.

Having said that, you don't NEED water for mold, so super old resin caked on a whip could go bad too. Standing herbal-infused water just presents a quicker need for sanitation.
:2c:

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
Having said that, you don't NEED water for mold, so super old resin caked on a whip could go bad too.

Are you sure about that? I always thought that mold needed dark and damp to form.

From this source:

"Of the many types of molds, none will grow without water or moisture."

And here:

"Mold requires nutrients, water, oxygen and favorable temperatures to grow."

Tweak,

m0sh

Singer Song Writer Stoner
The big con about water is that electronic can get in the way...
Happened to me twice.

Cloud dead, solo dead /;

Using water makes the hit smoother so therefore in theory you can take more vapor inside but you can cough just as much ... when its dry you feel the hit more...
I prefer to end dry...I prefer my LSV without water but the solo works great with water ;)

If I give a smoker a toke, he'd prefer dry at the start IMO because it feels the hit more...(well I tried with friends, but then with the cloud the issue might be different!)

m0sh,

Chicken Charlie

MicroDose Cognoscente
If you're vaping through water without cleaning & sanitizing it reasonably often enough, you may introduce a mildew/mold aspect that usually isn't an issue with a dry vapor whip.

Having said that, you don't NEED water for mold, so super old resin caked on a whip could go bad too. Standing herbal-infused water just presents a quicker need for sanitation.
:2c:
Thank-you...I'll be cognizant of your observation. One of my delivery systems is a PAX (never a problem)...cuz' I'm OCD when it comes to cleaning it.

Chicken Charlie,

SD_haze

Are you sure about that? I always thought that mold needed dark and damp to form.

From this source:

"Of the many types of molds, none will grow without water or moisture."

And here:

"Mold requires nutrients, water, oxygen and favorable temperatures to grow."
True, it needs damp to readily form.
But if you take a dried out nug and let it sit for a while, eventually you'll have some [small] moldy growth. Residual humidity/air humidity I guess?

I would only be concerned if I had a whip that's been sitting with resin for many months, or even years.

Edit:
I also live by the ocean so there's always a high humidity rating in my house. If you lived in a dry environment it might be a non-issue.

Last edited:

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
True, it needs damp to readily form.

That's what I figured you meant but just wanted to clarify. :)

I've only had one combustion bowl turn nasty on me, it was sitting under a mattress in a basement. My guess is the humidity, lack of air flow, and no light hitting it caused it to happen.

Tweak,
Reactions: SD_haze
Top Bottom