• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

GET BENT ---- A Fishing Thread

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I eat, sleep, and dream of fish. I've not been out fly fishing again due to holidays and other family events in December, but looking forward to hitting some waters in January that hold giants... a state park nearby limits anglers to only a few people on the river a day, and only a few days each week. Was lucky enough to get a reservation last month and I have been so excited to hit these waters.

This will be different fishing than my previous experience These fish are smart, and old, and don't fall for shitty presentations. There are definitely giants, but so many locals arrive overconfident and return home empty handed. Going to have to be on my A-game to get a bite.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I eat, sleep, and dream of fish. I've not been out fly fishing again due to holidays and other family events in December, but looking forward to hitting some waters in January that hold giants... a state park nearby limits anglers to only a few people on the river a day, and only a few days each week. Was lucky enough to get a reservation last month and I have been so excited to hit these waters.

This will be different fishing than my previous experience These fish are smart, and old, and don't fall for shitty presentations. There are definitely giants, but so many locals arrive overconfident and return home empty handed. Going to have to be on my A-game to get a bite.

Best wishes. Sounds like a great time! Keep that line tight and well mended.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Yeah, have a great day man.

A mate of mine used to work as a sales man and his company has a stretch of the river test. The test is THE idyllic trout River written about for centuries by the fortunate British gentry. It's beautifully clear waters and wary fish make it an exceptional challenge. I was very lucky that this mate was due to be taking a client of his who backed out the night before the trip. I became "Mr Wilson" for the duration and whilst I only caught grayling that day it was one of the most memorable days fishing of my life. Thinking about the generations of gentry and countrymen having fished the same stretches of River was thrilling.

tokenknifeguy

Just got back from the beach on a fishing trip. The first few days we didn't catch anything, and didn't see anyone else catching anything either. Think it was too cold but the past 2 days it warmed on up and the fishing got a lot better, though most of the bites were in the after noon, even though we were out there since day light. Caught a bunch of speckled trout, which is some great eating. And a dude also caught some fish and gave it to us, a speckled trout and a flounder even. Speaking of which, I think I got some flounder bites, but never could get them hooked. First time fishing like this in the winter and it was pretty damn decent. I was really hoping to get on a bull redfish but never came close to it.

Also, any of you fishermen got any tips and tricks for dealing with no see'ums? In case you don't know, they are flying bugs about the size of a gnat and they bite you, which itches like crazy but doesn't start to itch until days later. DEET works ok, but they still land on you and swarm all around. Haven't found anything yet that really works well on them.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
That's awesome y'all got fish on! Any big ones?

imagination jerking off GIF

Simms has a line of clothing called BugStopper, hoodies and such. I've not tried one yet but they claim to repel midges (no see-ums).

I fucking love Simms. Their waders, boots, tools, bags, packs, everything in their lineup!
I think I am going to pick up this Bugstopper in fish camo so I can sneak up on em like a pro... plus it is branded with SweetWater Brew. :rockon:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Also, any of you fishermen got any tips and tricks for dealing with no see'ums? In case you don't know, they are flying bugs about the size of a gnat and they bite you, which itches like crazy but doesn't start to itch until days later. DEET works ok, but they still land on you and swarm all around. Haven't found anything yet that really works well on them.
Have you tried Woodsman Fly Dope? We swore by that stuff as kids fishing in Maine.

Ha, I guess they rebranded it... wonder why?: Ole time Woodsman

Last edited:

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Bullfrog Sunscreen. I depend on it for the back creeks off the intercoastal.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Took me a while to land my second trout but I landed #2 today!
No giant at only 12-15", but this rainbow sure was pretty... I'll get it on Imgur for the share.

I'll add, fishing in cold is tough! I lose dexterity and lock up in temperatures below 40*. I am also finding fish seem to bite a lot less when it gets below 40*.

This was a hunt today. Fishing protected waters where all the fish are way to fucking smart! I got landed one, but I was the only person in my group. Cant wait to go at it again in two weeks!

Nothing quite like feeling a fish pull your line tight!

Last edited:

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I know I got plenty of pics I need to start uploading... fuck Imgur, they deleted my account! Will find another way next week...

Wife booked a spontaneous trip to the Keys and we are out in the morning! Going to get one afternoon on the water and hoping to hook up with a tarpon... I may be out of my league with experience, but I'll be thrilled if I can land a fly close enough to get a strike.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Long time without update. Had a great trip to the keys but alas, I never did land a 140 lb + tarpon... I did hook into a juvenile that put on quite the show, but it was just about 30 lbs.

I was prompted to this thread after an epic weekend. I caught my personal best trout, a 28" 13+ lb rainbow! It was quite a trophy and a fight I'll surely remember for a long time. Hooking up with it on a 10-year old fly rod/reel combo that my dad gave me made it just a little more special.

MinnBobber

Long time without update. Had a great trip to the keys but alas, I never did land a 140 lb + tarpon... I did hook into a juvenile that put on quite the show, but it was just about 30 lbs.

I was prompted to this thread after an epic weekend. I caught my personal best trout, a 28" 13+ lb rainbow! It was quite a trophy and a fight I'll surely remember for a long time. Hooking up with it on a 10-year old fly rod/reel combo that my dad gave me made it just a little more special.

I was a fishing lover myself but drifted away…
picked up cycling mania.

Your thread makes me think again about fishing.

I’m in Minnesota but your tarpon mention makes the old lightbulbs go off, a veritable brain fart.

We have spent some winter time in Punta Gorda, FL and……!!!!! across the River from it is Boca Grande AKA “ The Tarpon Capital of the World”

Monster Tarpon and end of March/April peak.

If we do get some FL fun and sun months this winter, c’mon down and give me an incentive to go try Tarpon fishing.

MinnBobber,

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
don't be dissuaded to fish your local waters, I spent MANY summers in Bemidji and regret not fishing more... musky and pike will give quite a thrill!

Please do reach out on upcoming FL trips! I am often there for work and occasionally there for fun... keeps me warm inside! Keep me posted on trips, you never know if our schedules might align!

One thing would be for sure, ain't nobody gonna get seasick on our boat!
[I got a lil something for that:lol:]

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Finally got to get on the water again! It was not a feeding frenzy but a memorable one...

There was a nice hatch all around us, me and two buddies collectively netted 10 rainbows in the 10-15" range.
All fish were caught in DEEP, 15' deep at the bottom of pockets and in fast water. They were hitting real colorful streamers all day, orange, peach, and yellow seemed to be favored, and as highlight I FINALLY caught my first trout on a streamer- the skunk is off!

I finally got to fish some of my own tied flies, and failed one after another... caddis larva- no hits, pats rubber legs - no hits, zebra midges even squirmy worms- no hits. FINALLY, with the ramp in sight and bout to pull out, I finally caught a trout on a fly I tied myself. It hit my pheasant tail nymph hard and I got a good set in the top jaw. I'll never forget landing that first fish on a fly I tied!
Here is the link if anyone wants to try one:

Been trying some fun new flies now that I've got some of the basics down. Love these little articulating streamers from @trout_tornado like the Itsy Bitsy.

I've gotten used to being able to take everything with me when we take out the drift boat.... I could not resist bringing the TOAD!

Last edited:

capcoho

I don't like bug juice, deet etc. Only thing that works for me is now is covering up as they don't have a long proboscis to penetrate through clothing like a mosquito does. My hands are the only thing that is exposed and they end up warm and very swollen, as you mentioned, in a delayed reaction a few days later.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
I don't like bug juice, deet etc. Only thing that works for me is now is covering up as they don't have a long proboscis to penetrate through clothing like a mosquito does. My hands are the only thing that is exposed and they end up warm and very swollen, as you mentioned, in a delayed reaction a few days later.
I used to be a rabid kayak fisherman and used to fish the back-creeks/skinny water here in Florida. The bugs back there are supernatural and the sun can be brutal that close to the water. I started using a 2 in 1 product called Bullfrog ... its a sunscreen and a insect repellent and it worked great for both purposes. You can use the spray on your cloths. I tried a small electric device that put out a continuous insect repellent mist but it barely worked due to wind on the water.

Kayak fishing was almost a religion. I obsessed about being closer to the water and nature itself without the benefit of a motor. I went out every weekend just about and would go out on my own if nobody wanted to go with me. Considering the effort required it wasn't easy getting someone to accompany me more than once. I got older and moved up to a 20 foot center console with a 115 4 stroke. I can still get back into the skinny water with the boat by working the tides but using a "stinkpot" (as the kayakers called them) in those creeks means running into kayak fishermen who don't appreciate it. I get it...the noise, pollution and wake can be off putting when you're staked out in a quiet back creek and "hear" me coming. I try very hard to be considerate in these situations.....

capcoho

I used to be a rabid kayak fisherman and used to fish the back-creeks/skinny water here in Florida. The bugs back there are supernatural and the sun can be brutal that close to the water. I started using a 2 in 1 product called Bullfrog ... its a sunscreen and a insect repellent and it worked great for both purposes. You can use the spray on your cloths. I tried a small electric device that put out a continuous insect repellent mist but it barely worked due to wind on the water.

Kayak fishing was almost a religion. I obsessed about being closer to the water and nature itself without the benefit of a motor. I went out every weekend just about and would go out on my own if nobody wanted to go with me. Considering the effort required it wasn't easy getting someone to accompany me more than once. I got older and moved up to a 20 foot center console with a 115 4 stroke. I can still get back into the skinny water with the boat by working the tides but using a "stinkpot" (as the kayakers called them) in those creeks means running into kayak fishermen who don't appreciate it. I get it...the noise, pollution and wake can be off putting when you're staked out in a quiet back creek and "hear" me coming. I try very hard to be considerate in these situations.....
Lucky here the no see ums only come out for a short period of the year. The Bullfrog product sounds interesting but doesn't seem readily available in Canada. I will pick some up on my next trip to the US.

tokenknifeguy

Any of you Flordians fish at the Canaveral National Seashore? I like those secluded beaches (very hard to find in FL) where you can spread out and fish without getting in the swimmers or other beach goer's way (or more like they getting in our way, lol) and it looks like you have plenty of room to do that here.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I've had to hold off on my fly fishing adventure for a bit, due to some financial issues, but I'll be back on my journey soon!

Ramahs,
Top Bottom