• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

GET BENT ---- A Fishing Thread

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Any other fishers out in FC-land?

Bass fish, fly fish, deep sea, what are ya into?

I have enjoyed it ever since I was 3 years old, hanging string and a hook off the dock. More recently, have tried my hand at fly fishing. I had been out a few times with guides on some spectacular rivers, but I am now geared up and going guide-less with a friend.

So much fun wading up big water and catching little fish!

I'm going for browns and rainbow mostly. I'll try to post some pics soon, we have been in a fairytale like rainforest...

As this is a vaping forum... I do bring my tools. Omni comes out on the water with me, the P80 and RiO are ready on the shore for a break when needed. Some real Zen like shit starts to happen when you have a RiO and a P80 on the banks.

arb

Semi shaved ape
I had a serious snook and tarpon addiction and after 40 years of daily use I hadda quit.
Took moving to the rocky mountains but I did it.
😂
Been fishing exactly once here and that ended in a four hour jag of laughing\crying hysterically and unintelligible muttering.
They also have this thing called a"fishing license "here.........wtf kinda pinko,commie shit is that.
🐈

Green Kiwi

I Just love being myself in the water, and out of that grew my passion also for spearfishing. I only free dive though ,as I am strongly forbidden to go deeper than 10 meters.
I love surfcasting to but for some reason( :shrug: )I never seem to catch eatable fish.
(while others standing close by catch one after the other.......:bang:)
possibly I'm just to occupied with my vape in the hand, and not really paying enough attention😇)

mephisto

Lots o' fishin round here. Some good farm ponds that hold panfish, bass, and monster pickerel. We even have hybrid striper in one of the ponds. I don't know how they continue to strive in this pond as I understand they are sterile.... Surf fishing as well, which many out of staters like to use as an excuse to drive on the beach and drink......Been fishing all my life and at this point it does not matter if I catch anything at all. Just an awesome Zen experience sitting on top of the kayak, baked, with the whole pond to myself. Thanks for posting this thread!

tokenknifeguy

I had a serious snook and tarpon addiction and after 40 years of daily use I hadda quit.
Took moving to the rocky mountains but I did it.
😂
Been fishing exactly once here and that ended in a four hour jag of laughing\crying hysterically and unintelligible muttering.
They also have this thing called a"fishing license "here.........wtf kinda pinko,commie shit is that.
🐈
Damn, lol. I'm trying to get hooked on the tarpon/snook/red/black drum fix. Go big or go home, but so far I've just been going home. Usually go to the beach 1 time a year, but this year we've been 5 times, mainly do surf fishing. At first it was just to catch anything, but now we are trying to target specifics and tarpon would be at the top of that list. I'm fishing in FL where were you fishing at?

arb

Semi shaved ape
The mouth of Tampa Bay.
Go under bridge I used a custom one piece 7' extra stiff rod rated for 30 pounds.
Penn bail reel braided 50 pound line 40 pound triplefish camo mono shock leader and a barrel swivel.
Yo-Zuri delta minnow top water,rod tip down tap and reel,make it dance.
Should be going up and down,side to side with a roll........you will know it when you see it.
Tap,tap.......tap repeat.
Was my rig of choice and I rarely went a day without hooking up.

Last edited:

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
Bass and trout fishing mostly. Been teaching my 13 year old how to fly fish, but we also spin cast.

Fall is a great time to wade for trout. Better wear your thick long johns underneath.

When fishing I like something quick and discreet. I will take along a Fury 2 or my terp pen for fast hits. I have also been known to buy a cartridge pen for just these occasions.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
I used to fish a lot but stopped being able to find the time when I started a family.... My eldest is 19 now lol. I was out most weekends, mostly staying in a bivvy with my best mate and the all important bag of weed. Pike were my most prized quarry and I loved loads of different methods.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
After getting skunked on my last two outings, I signed up for the free Orvis lessons... not a bad deal either!

With COVID going on, the free class is now entirely 1-on-1 and covers everything from advanced knots and setup, to casting techniques. Scheduled for this coming weekend and going back on the river Nov1 with some new skills.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Whilst I also agree with that sentiment, unfortunately, sometimes, family situations don't allow for all ones hobbies to continue unabated....

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Not long ago I got obsessed with Kayak fishing in NE FL. after buying some sit-on-top kayaks. The family got tired of the kayaks but I got obsessed with mastering the whole river and back creek fishing thing. Would go solo and be out on the water at sun up. Went out every weekend to fish the back creeks/skinny water alone. Mostly brackish water (Love to invite some reds, trout, saltwater cats, sheepshead, etc. to dinner). Also love taking my visiting family and friends to visit with the gators in the less brackish water. Really excites the fam and friends to see a large branch, travelling against the tide that eventually shows itself to be a gator.

I used to be a purist about it....I would never even consider a stinkpot (Gas powered boat) but as I got older that kayak and all the equipment got heavier and heavier and I eventually bought a small center console with a 115HP four stroke. The kayaks rarely leave the garage now even though I'm 20 feet from a pond that has plenty of trout and bass in it. The pond is man made and when we first moved in there weren't any fish in it. There's plenty of fish in that pond now along with water moccasins the size of my leg. I've been told it's natural stocking - fish eggs getting stuck to the birds feet/legs that end up in the ponds. And yes...we've had our share of gators in that pond.

Just coming to the end of shrimp season in my area of the St. Johns. Take the cast net....if you get enough for dinner call it a day. If the shrimp stop running before we have enough for dinner ... I take those few shrimp caught to one of my honey holes to see if I can trade up to a red. I'm also a firm believer in "If you kill it, you should eat it". So throw them back if you're not gonna eat them.

I love me some fresh trout, sheepshead or red drum blackened with cheese grits.

Here's my favorite kayak and fishing site. The folks who frequent that site were kind enough to teach me and take me out when I first started: http://www.jaxkayakfishing.com/

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I am not getting back out on a river again with flies until Nov 1, but did manage to take my boy and nephew to the pond a couple of times this week. My boy got 2 bluegill this week, and his cousin got 4. These boys are getting hooked!

Yes. If it wasn't for panfish, my kids would have lost interest long ago. White perch are also great fun during a feeding frenzy.

My son who's learning to flyfish, has yet to experience a hatch when dry flying is hot. I wish I'd time it better myself.

A terp pen is perfect for taking a massive rip when they're looking the other way. :sherlock:

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Haven't tried fly fishing yet. The water I fish is mostly muck on the bottom so standing in the water isn't likely and from the boat it just feels.......off.

For panfish in the less brackish water or ponds I use beetle spinners and a standard spinning reel. I've started teaching my 5 year old grandson out by the pond. I have him set up with the usual weight and hook that he lets soak on the bottom or a bobber. We walk around the pond looking for bait....small fry using a bucket, small toads, worms, etc. I want him to learn about nature, lures and not "buying" bait. I use the beetle spinners I mentioned and occasionally let him try my rig but inevitably this leads to me spending most of my time untangling things.

One of the joys of kayak fishing was being in the back creeks where the boats can't go, the sun is just coming up, everything is quiet except for the occasional bird or fish crashing some shrimp/fry and getting my first buzz of the day. Sure do miss those solitary times and being that close to nature.

The retention ponds around here have sterile grass carp in them - they are stocked to keep the algae and vegetation down. I have kids who come through my yard to fish the pond. The only thing I ask is that they clean up after themselves and throw back the grass carp. It's kinda hard on the kids because when they catch something as big as a carp they want to show it to the family. I don't want to be the crotchety old dude like my neighbor who has blocked off access to his property and the portion of the pond that borders his backyard.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
@His_Highness I hear ya on the kayaking! I've got a Wilderness Systems and my hardcore buddies have Vibes.

I really encourage you to try your hand at Fly, especially if you are teaching your grandson. I HIGHLY recommend this video series as well:

Everything you post makes me believe you would LOVE fly fishing.
Similar to your finding your bait, the most successful fishers go into their environment and look at the flies, larva and nymphs and natural bait. Flip over a rock or two and see what you find! And for the nominal cost of material, one can create their own perfect fly to match their hatchery. No need to buy flies, just need a little investment in material.

You'd also appreciate being able to wade and access waters that even your kayaks cannot reach. I've spent some great hours working up and around beautiful class 4 and 5 rapids that I'd never bring my 9' kayak down.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
My father forever cured me of the desire to fish. He never knew when to quit and call it a day. I grew up in the SF Bay Area, and the striped bass would follow the anchovies into the SF Bay. The fish drove the anchovies to the surface which made the sea birds kamakazi into the ocean seeking them. Pandemonium ensued. hundreds of boats, tens of thousands of birds, People casting out and catching seagulls, boating accidents, a weird day, indeed. But our boat could reach its limit of fish LESS ONE, and we would fish all day and into the evening seeking the last fish. Of course, if you wanted to do something with Dad, it pretty much was on his terms. No Broadway plays for Dad.
Halibut fishing out of Sitka
Dad an Me.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom