Gentle-izing Concentrate Intake?

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
I've been having fun experimenting with all my new and diverse high-quality concentrates. Bought my first ever concentrates just a few weeks ago and an EZ Sai battery vape. Seeing the CV self semi-quarantine coming, I made a run to a big dispensary last week and so now have impressive, grown and manufactured in Mass.: Skywalker, Grapefruit, and Golden Cobra wax, Bootycious and Black Mamba rosin, Rugburn OG shatter, and Amnesia Haze Rude Boi and Headband oil cartridges. Just ordered the Voopoo Drag 2 mod and more coils to play with while I'm stuck here. I know I'm lucky. But I've got issues and I'm confused.

I'm a long-time smoker of cigs and weed, now 6 and 4 years without and vaping the later, with compromised lungs. I need to use both water and lower temps, whether with this stuff or flower. When I use the Sai's lower temp--380F--I get OK hits. And seem to consume whatever I've put in. And my lungs feel fine. But if I step up to the high temp--460F--I'll get another massive hit or two. Its as if the lower temps don't really get the wax or rosin going; the material wasn't even consumed at the lower temp. I definitely get more rocked with the big higher temp hits, which I like!--but the bigger hits and higher temps irritate my breathing apparatus.

So, not wanting to cough and wheeze, my questions are two: Should I just get used to five sort of whispy hits at the lower temp, high not rocked? (though maybe my tolerance will go down and the small hits will do me well) Or, given that I'm already using a bubbler and have also hooked up to my big bubbler and even hooked the two together, are there other ways of gentle-izing this lovely luscious stuff. Thanks.

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
It is my humble opinion that a whole range of concentrates, my own rosin included, contain a whole bunch of stuff that will give off vapour at higher temps, but actually give you fuck all.

I do not know the Sai, but knowing the ACTUAL temp and not whatever the device is reading is key to fine tuning the experience, getting all the effects but leaving that last bit of gunk that is just going to turn to carbon at higher temps.

Just a bullshit observation, take it with a pinch of salt.

Also, temp step. If you get that bigger hit at higher temps and still want it. Start low and climb. It means you arent releasing ALL of the actives in one massive boost and potentially hit a straining point of your lungs that you might not even notice. Stagger the experience.

I was doing the temp stepping until I realised that at a certain point, once all the flavour had gone, I could REALLY taste where the gunk was starting to turn to carbon and its a much lower temp than I would have thought.

If we're playing with real temp, 460f would be about my limit at the moment, in light of all the above. EDIT: But Im finding I dont need to go above 420 or 430 with most quality dabs

I think way more of us are actually consuming carbon etc than we think with concentrates, as the taste is masked by the massive terpene most concentrates have.

:2c:

EDIT: Im also starting to think that with myself and concentrates, the moist inhale is not helping my lungs at all. There is a trade off between cooling the hit and moist lungs. Or not cooling the hit and not coughing my guts up afterwards due to a rig with water in it (i recently found out)

However, the hit not being cooled is less way less important if you're at low temps to start with anyway. The harshness is competely mitigated by a temp of say 380f :)

Also, I think some compounds with expectorant qualities vape off at lower temps. Get them vaped first and the rest wont be so cough inducing.

Any thoughts?

EDIT 2: Point being, your 380f may be 350 for instance or some other temp, and there is more difference there with the temps than it might seem, hits and my rosin certainly. One is a useless temp, the other is massive cloud with the stuff I have right now :)

Last edited:

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
It is my humble opinion that a whole range of concentrates, my own rosin included, contain a whole bunch of stuff that will give off vapour at higher temps, but actually give you fuck all.

I do not know the Sai, but knowing the ACTUAL temp and not whatever the device is reading is key to fine tuning the experience, getting all the effects but leaving that last bit of gunk that is just going to turn to carbon at higher temps.

Just a bullshit observation, take it with a pinch of salt.

Also, temp step. If you get that bigger hit at higher temps and still want it. Start low and climb. It means you arent releasing ALL of the actives in one massive boost and potentially hit a straining point of your lungs that you might not even notice. Stagger the experience.

I was doing the temp stepping until I realised that at a certain point, once all the flavour had gone, I could REALLY taste where the gunk was starting to turn to carbon and its a much lower temp than I would have thought.

If we're playing with real temp, 460f would be about my limit at the moment, in light of all the above. EDIT: But Im finding I dont need to go above 420 or 430 with most quality dabs

I think way more of us are actually consuming carbon etc than we think with concentrates, as the taste is masked by the massive terpene most concentrates have.

:2c:

EDIT: Im also starting to think that with myself and concentrates, the moist inhale is not helping my lungs at all. There is a trade off between cooling the hit and moist lungs. Or not cooling the hit and not coughing my guts up afterwards due to a rig with water in it (i recently found out)

However, the hit not being cooled is less way less important if you're at low temps to start with anyway. The harshness is competely mitigated by a temp of say 380f :)

Also, I think some compounds with expectorant qualities vape off at lower temps. Get them vaped first and the rest wont be so cough inducing.

Any thoughts?

EDIT 2: Point being, your 380f may be 350 for instance or some other temp, and there is more difference there with the temps than it might seem, hits and my rosin certainly. One is a useless temp, the other is massive cloud with the stuff I have right now :)

Thanks for your thoughts. I know from other threads that you have the same issue as I: Enjoy getting high and most enjoy getting high through inhalation, but for whatever reason(s) have compromised lungs that don't like anything much beyond air at this point. I am not finding a balance easy. And I vigorously exercise 4-6 days a week too, mostly outdoorsy stuff, which is always more fun stoned. We just got 10" of new snow, and I snowshoed up the hill across from the house...after a toke or two from a Rude Boi cart. Probably the last snowshoe day of the year.

Last edited:

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
Yeah, sorry, I should always add every few lines, YMMV :D

Good luck! Temp stepping is more of a creeper to me, but I still get all the effects, and can go thru the entire temp range. I dont feel like I'm getting less high, and I'm still (stupidly) consuming waaaaay too much :) But I think I may have found that my experiences are a bit too niche to be THAT useful to people.

Logically tho, I dont see why temp stepping shouldnt give one all the same effects as one huge top end whack. Its just not all at once, its a creeper. I've been doing it since my Volcano days way back when I started, but even that used to kill my lungs.

I'd rather be able to breathe most of the time :)

"Low temps" doesnt mean shit hits. Maybe its time for me rename them "Slightly More Accurate Temp" hits instead :)

385f

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I find it hard to know where to stop with concentrate. I have the Magic Flight Muad Dib which has no sense of temp control, or even accurate temp control with a Mod. I quit about the time things start tasting 'raw'.

shredder

Upgrading to something like an enail would give you more surface area for your oil to vaporize and allow you to get larger hits at lower temperatures.

Exactly! Those portable concentrate vapes are OK, and I have a few, but a good enail rig is great. Big difference. Big difference in price too, but if its easier on the lungs its worth it.

Kins

Why destroy all the terps with high temps?. I know live resin vaporizes at 315-400F.

Weedmaps said:
The optimal temperature range for dabbing live resin is between 315 and 400 degrees Fahrenheit (about 157 to 204 degrees Celsius). It’s recommended to err on the side of caution and heat your nail toward the lower end of that range to really maximize the flavor potential of your live resin.
The electronic dab rigs burn everything and make it taste nasty because for some reason the temps that they have are pre-set and all pretty high. You might get something from them but mostly you'll just be put to sleep.

Take note I'm just learning about this but have been at it a month of so now of trying different electronic rigs, and even my volcano and crafty+. By the way both of those do a much better job than either the Oura by Kandypens or the Focus V carta. The only problem is it gets a little messy and you have to soak part's in iso once you are done. Compared to the Oura or Focus V carta, when I used a drip pad in the Volcano with the same concentrate I used in the Oura...Surprise! Both the Volcano and Crafty+ work much better for concentrates than those retarded electronic rigs. Full flavor and the hits just kept on coming at 350F. I had to turn it up at the end though because I wanted to finish up whatever mess was left over. I must have had 10 bags with a tiny dab....

I've been reading about cold start dabbing and it makes a whole lot more sense than destroying the terps. It's like the more I learn about dabing the more these companies making e-rigs sound stupid. Like they have no clue what they are doing. I came from being a bong smoker with flower and learned in that time that you want a glass pathway for the smoke. Plastics and silicone and especially electronics can impart bad taste to your smoke or vapor. Plus running hot vapor over electronics, who knows what you could be vaping?

Top Bottom