General Cleaning

aspire2b

Hi everyone,

I am about to embark on my wonderful adventure into vaping. I first dipped my toe in back in 2014, now I plan to vape exclusively - no more tobacco! ;)

So, first and foremost I need to get all my equipment clean.

I want to make sure I remove all leftover contaminants from manufacturing, I know some say there shouldn't be any but in my experience that isn't the case.

Having been lucky enough to spend some time on here already, I'm aware there are some incredibly clever folk amongst us :science:

My main concern is using ISO has anyone had any problems with it reacting and does it require agitation or just let it sit?

I would really appreciate any advice you are willing to share. :tup:

Hope y'all having a good un! :peace:

Last edited:

aspire2b

sorry for the long delay, been occupied with work!

Just getting round to cleaning now, I've been worrying about Aluminium isopropoxide as a result of using iso on my aluminium items. Is this any cause for concern??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

aspire2b,

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Also.. be sure to keep the ISO away from wood, and be careful around any plastics or silicone (like o-rings).

Haven't had any issues with ISO & aluminum, but I don't soak it. Ti, glass & SS can take a good soak. Only thing I usually soak for more than an hour is glass (and occasionally SS screens) - and more often than not only 1/2 hour. Scrub with old toothbrush or whatever while still dripping ISO, then rinse all very well with hot water. If you can, let it sit to dry after wiping off all moisture. Any ISO remnants should mostly evaporate soon (within a day). I like to give things another good rinse with hot water after this, just to be certain all is clear. Probably not necessary, but makes me feel better about things.

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Thanks @flotntoke, @steama, some great advice there :tup:

Ive been doing some reading and came across this article on cleaning aluminium for vacuum applications by meyer tools. Just incase you fancy a read. :cool:

:peace:

Kind of interesting, but fortunately we're not using aluminum in an industrial application. Unless I'm mistaken, the only aluminum involved in my vaping at all is my grinders. My method here is ISO on a toothbrush, scrub until all material and goo is gone (minute or so), then do same with spot of Dawn dishwashing detergent (minute or 2), rinse well with hot water, towel dry as well as possible, air dry overnight.

May start hitting them with a dry veggie brush or something after drying, but have never noticed any oxidation from current process. And, I do have oxidation on other things around house outside and other places so think I know what I'm looking for. Maybe I'll have to take a look at grinder under scope. But, know one I use regularly is coated and think other one has clear coat.

Alexis

Have any of you wise members used Powdery Brewery Wash (PBW) to clean your vapcaps? I'm sure I have seen it mentioned in the vapcap thread? I have only used ISO so far and have been lazy and soaked the whole apparatus, O rings and all- has never been a problem so far but haven't done it that many times as I don't use my vapcaps as often as many other members do.

I just wondered if soaking is the Vapcaps In PBW might be more recommended and less of a hazard to the Orings? Or maybe it is less effective or there is another reason why it isnt recommended?
@Squiby I know you like to use Zeus yourself. I did check it out, I think it was a bit more expensive than the PBW (maybe less toxic, or non toxic though? No need to comment on this Squiby, just mentioning you that's all in relation to this matter).

I've never used PBW before. I picked some up for cleaning water tools with. I have so little experience with cleaning water tools etc. I have ISO but it seems like the PBW will work out a lot cheaper in the long run, although I know you can re-use the ISO.

Happy Saturday to all! Sunshine again in England at last! :) Come on Autos!:clap:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur

PBW - Powdered Brewery Wash

SKU# U005

Environmentally friendly alkali cleaner. Safe for use on metals, rubber gaskets, tubing, plastic parts, and your skin.

Removes tough, caked-on debris and rinses clean.

We use it for glass but looks like it works on other things as well. I copied the above off PBWs website.

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
I only use PBW on glass, but should probably expand that when I feel like getting into all of that.

Truth be told, I don't use ISO too much anymore. I've moved to grain alcohol (Everclear) for most stuff (grinders and dab tools still get ISO). It is WAY expensive compared to ISO (think I paid $32 for a 750 ML bottle). Feel a little better with it because it is made for consumption - though not by me at 190 proof (95% alcohol)! Works a little better, too. Not sure, but probably mostly because 95% as opposed to 91% ISO.

I use it over and over again, with most going in glass pieces for overnight or couple day soaks. Have a couple very small capped jars that I throw little things in to clean, like screens that sit for a few hours to overnight, glass stems with screens that usually get 1/2 hour soak, and yes VC parts with o-rings on for a few minutes at a time. Gets all clean, tho may take a little bit of scrubbing with toothbrush or Q-tip for fully clean. Hot water rinse takes it all off, but still usually give another rinse after drying and before use.

These little jars have gone from clear, to a yellow haze, to now about the color of weak iced tea. Still works just as well as first time, though.

Haven't really felt the added expense yet. I bought first bottle in November last year, and have lost probably less than 50 ML to evaporation and rinsing from parts.

aspire2b

That article wasn't intended for our use but I always find it interesting reading what the pros do.

I've not really looked into PBW probably for the reasons @flotntoke is referring too and I don't have much glass.

Decided to buy an Ultrasonic Cleaner as have quite a few parts mainly - aluminium, SS, glass and chrome.

Don't think the chrome will be taking part but I'm open to suggestions?!

Anyone have any experience with these and solutions to boot?

Alexis

@CarolKing thank you for correcting my PBW vocabulary ;), and also very much for the added info on it.
@flotntoke thank you very much also for the info you have shared, it will be very useful to me as I seek to improve my knowlege and skill when it comes to cleaning more regularly.

I have been especially lazy about it in recent years, due largely to health conditions and a lack of energy for anything. I have simply be washing all my bubblers out with hot soapy water every other day.

I'm just about to have my first vape in 4 weeks! I have been using edibles but have long awaited this moment!
Thanks again folks!:tup:

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
@CarolKing thank you for correcting my PBW vocabulary ;), and also very much for the added info on it.
@flotntoke thank you very much also for the info you have shared, it will be very useful to me as I seek to improve my knowlege and skill when it comes to cleaning more regularly.

I have been especially lazy about it in recent years, due largely to health conditions and a lack of energy for anything. I have simply be washing all my bubblers out with hot soapy water every other day.

I'm just about to have my first vape in 4 weeks! I have been using edibles but have long awaited this moment!
Thanks again folks!:tup:

Other stuff can be a bit tricky to clean, depending on what it is.

But, bubblers are EASY! As long as you're not dabbing or have any material that has fallen into them, just follow this simple tech. It won't totally clean all of them all of the time, but for regular vaping you can get away with this every couple weeks (tho I would suggest changing water more often than that between cleanings).

Run hottest water you can from tap through piece for a minute or two.
Fill as much as possible with ISO or very high proof spirits (at least 90%). Use plugs if possible/needed to fill more.
Let this sit for 12 - 48 hours.
Shake for a few minutes, making sure any openings are covered. You can get away with a good shake after 1/2 hour - hour if you need to get piece back in service sooner. Letting it sit for a day or two will clean up almost any stubborn spots from just vaping.
Pour your cleaning solution (ISO, whatever alcohol) back into its original container for same cleaning use later. Can be re-used MANY times.
Rinse well with hottest water possible for a few minutes. I like to do at least 10 fills and dumps.
Drain all you can out of piece, and wipe down outside to dry.
If you can, let it sit for a day so it dries completely inside.
Rinse again with hot water before use.
Done and almost always TOTALLY clean and sanitized at this point.

You can also use vinegar, but I wouldn't let it sit in piece for more than an hour or two for fear of etching. I have left vinegar in pieces for a couple days with no problems (to get rid of hard water stains), But, it may etch lower quality glass.

Congrats on getting back to vaping. I've seen your story elsewhere, and glad to hear you're going to be able to be vaping again. Hope everything with that goes very well!

duff

Well worn
Don't use PBW on Titanium
My Hopper mouthpiece is a different shade now.

For grinders I dip them in the PBW, swish it around and promptly and thoroughly rinse it.
Then repeat.

But be warned that leaving grinder in PBW for any length of time will strip the finish and render the grinder unfit for use.

Last edited:

Alexis

Other stuff can be a bit tricky to clean, depending on what it is.

But, bubblers are EASY! As long as you're not dabbing or have any material that has fallen into them, just follow this simple tech. It won't totally clean all of them all of the time, but for regular vaping you can get away with this every couple weeks (tho I would suggest changing water more often than that between cleanings).

Run hottest water you can from tap through piece for a minute or two.
Fill as much as possible with ISO or very high proof spirits (at least 90%). Use plugs if possible/needed to fill more.
Let this sit for 12 - 48 hours.
Shake for a few minutes, making sure any openings are covered. You can get away with a good shake after 1/2 hour - hour if you need to get piece back in service sooner. Letting it sit for a day or two will clean up almost any stubborn spots from just vaping.
Pour your cleaning solution (ISO, whatever alcohol) back into its original container for same cleaning use later. Can be re-used MANY times.
Rinse well with hottest water possible for a few minutes. I like to do at least 10 fills and dumps.
Drain all you can out of piece, and wipe down outside to dry.
If you can, let it sit for a day so it dries completely inside.
Rinse again with hot water before use.
Done and almost always TOTALLY clean and sanitized at this point.

You can also use vinegar, but I wouldn't let it sit in piece for more than an hour or two for fear of etching. I have left vinegar in pieces for a couple days with no problems (to get rid of hard water stains), But, it may etch lower quality glass.

Congrats on getting back to vaping. I've seen your story elsewhere, and glad to hear you're going to be able to be vaping again. Hope everything with that goes very well!
Hi, I just want to say thank you again very much Flotntoke for the wisdom you have shared and also for your friendly words.
I can see clearly from many different threads how extremely helpful you are with such a broad range of knowledge and experience, and a real asset to the forum and a great example of what this place is genuinely about. So many thanks.:tup:

I have enjoyed now two days of vaporizing. I'm feeling so much more chilled out already after a difficult patch recently. I have also come to a conclusion- my new Herborizer Ti is not right for my sensitive lungs and allergies, despite being a fantastic vape.
I am going to sell it and I think I have decided I will go towards a Woodscents. I have seen your own inquiries into the woodscents and how it may compare to the enano, and that is very hekpful to me to make my chkuce, even without you owning the woodscents yet. Maybe we will both get one at the same time?
I am actually quite excited about the woodscents, as soon as I have motivated myself to package, list and post my Herborizer, I will be a lot more excited for sure! :)

Last edited:

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Hi, I just want to say thank you again very much Flotntoke for the wisdom you have shared and also for your friendly words.
I can see clearly from many different threads how extremely helpful you are with such a broad range of knowledge and experience, and a real asset to the forum and a great example of what this place is genuinely about. So many thanks.:tup:

I have enjoyed now two days of vaporizing. I'm feeling so much more chilled out already after a difficult patch recently. I have also come to a conclusion- my new Herborizer Ti is not right for my sensitive lungs and allergies, despite being a fantastic vape.
I am going to sell it and I think I have decided I will go towards a Woodscents. I have seen your own inquiries into the woodscents and how it may compare to the enano, and that is very hekpful to me to make my chkuce, even without you owning the woodscents yet. Maybe we will both get one at the same time?
I am actually quite excited about the woodscents, as soon as I have motivated myself to package, list and post my Herborizer, I will be a lot more excited for sure! :)

Thanks! Try to help where I can. Something I'm very glad to do, and sometimes wish I could be even more helpful like many of the fine members here on FC.

I've had my WS for about a month. Am really enjoying it, though I still keep my beloved nano plugged in next to it. Check out my post in WS thread just a few minutes ago for more.

Glad to hear you've started vaping again and it's going well! Don't know where I'd be without my nearly daily vaping - mentally, physically & emotionally. All that before we even get into stress & insomnia considerations.

Alexis

Thanks! Try to help where I can. Something I'm very glad to do, and sometimes wish I could be even more helpful like many of the fine members here on FC.

I've had my WS for about a month. Am really enjoying it, though I still keep my beloved nano plugged in next to it. Check out my post in WS thread just a few minutes ago for more.

Glad to hear you've started vaping again and it's going well! Don't know where I'd be without my nearly daily vaping - mentally, physically & emotionally. All that before we even get into stress & insomnia considerations.
Thanks man. Actually, I edited my post above afyer I saw another member in the Woodscsnts thread hint at you not having one yet.
I was sure you did, I lnow I read your posts and comparisons. But I thought I must have gone a bit doolaley and imagined it, like when you drram things that could have happened and can'r be sure.:hmm:

Just so you know Im paying attention.;) Stevenski, on the other hand-:goon::lol:

I think the woodcesnts is the right way for me to go? I am also drawn to the enano, and not totally sure deep down which. I like the fact the enano has a larger bowl size, but think the woodscents glass stem can hold a bit more than the Ti tip.
I will go and read your reviews of them both again tonight. I have already found a buyer for my Herbo Ti and see the 10% woodscents code so may go right for it by tomorrow!

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Thanks man. Actually, I edited my post above afyer I saw another member in the Woodscsnts thread hint at you not having one yet.
I was sure you did, I lnow I read your posts and comparisons. But I thought I must have gone a bit doolaley and imagined it, like when you drram things that could have happened and can'r be sure.:hmm:

Just so you know Im paying attention.;) Stevenski, on the other hand-:goon::lol:

I think the woodcesnts is the right way for me to go? I am also drawn to the enano, and not totally sure deep down which. I like the fact the enano has a larger bowl size, but think the woodscents glass stem can hold a bit more than the Ti tip.
I will go and read your reviews of them both again tonight. I have already found a buyer for my Herbo Ti and see the 10% woodscents code so may go right for it by tomorrow!

Haha!! :lol: I love Stevenski and will give him a pass. I'm guessing he was stoned, or missed my post in WS thread while catching up. We all know how it can get when your alerts tart falling off on this thread or that one.

More on the rest over in your inbox. ;)

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
I had a bunch of glass pieces with hard water stains because I used tap water in them which is a no no. I came across a thread here on FC: PBW & the Chemistry of Clean and put them all through the PBW paces. Hot soak, a little scrubbing, and viola every hard water spot was gone!

Now I only use distilled water in my glass piece and I never have hard water spots.

Same for me. FWIW, vinegar soaks helped some with my hard water marks, but nothing compared to PBW.

Can't beat distilled water for this. Is like $1.19 a gallon at grocery store (sometimes $0.99). I still rinse with hot water from tap (after EverClear cleaning to rinse it off), but always give a good rinse with distilled water before setting a piece up to dry. No water spots from this little bit of contact.

turk

turk
...distilled water and rez block (concentrate) will reduce cleaning time by preventing buildups....recently purchased 6L ultrasonic cleaner from amazon to pair with earlier smaller model....I can get a herbalizer steamroller..and many mid-level pieces completely in it...that and simple green has changed my procedure.

Top Bottom