From herb to rosin questions

alex91

Hi. I’m new to dabs and I have a few questions If you guys don’t mind helping me out:

1. I’ve been using a dry herb vape for a few years, only on weekends at night, so 2-3 times a week. I usually use my Dynavap and just a 0.1 bowl, but sometimes I go for a second. I’m interested in switching to dabs, and I’d strictly go for live resin and rosin. Would you say it’d be too much for me? I’d still only hit it on weekends and once at night. Would something like a rice grain sized dab be enough? I don’t want to be the kind of guy that only gets high on dabs, so I’d like to keep my 0.1 flower bowl tolerance. I have a good self-control, so there’d no problem keeping up with a small quantity.

I’m switching because at the moment grinding and messing with flower is a little more complicated and I’ve always been interested in full spectrum, quality dabs, like rosin. I’ve thought about going for live rosin carts, but as far as I know rosin dabs would be a more “healthy”, “pure”, alternative.

2. So, let’s say I get the same rosin, but in two forms: one is in a cartridge and the other is a concentrate I’m going to dab. If I dab a really small quantity, let’s say equivalent to 3 pulls from the cart, would the experience be the same? The answer I’ve heard is that a dab would hit harder, but what gives, If it’s same product, quantity and both would be a single hit?

3. Like I said, as far as I’m aware, dabs would be a “healthier” option, even If it’s the same product in a cart. Is that correct? Why would the same live rosin dabbed be better than If it was in a cart? I’m talking about pure live rosin in a cart, not mixed with distillate.

Thanks.

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Rosin carts degrade in quality faster than live rosin dabs, mostly because the aren't kept cold enough to preserve the terpenes as well as stuff in jars.

IMO the efficiency can be higher in carts/pods over dabs. They both hit hard. IMO microdosing is easier with cartridges as you can vape very small amounts.

You can vape a lot more at once while dabbing so that's where a lot of the comments come from on perceived potency.

florduh

Rosin carts degrade in quality faster than live rosin dabs, mostly because the aren't kept cold enough to preserve the terpenes as well as stuff in jars.

The process of getting rosin to flow in carts/pods also leads to some terp loss over the jar stuff. I don't know if that's entirely a bad thing. The terps in fresh hash can be very high these days. Slightly lower terp content arguably works better in carts with a shorter, dry vapor path.

The fanciest hash cart/pod makers do recommend refrigerator storage when not in use. Kind of a pain in the ass, but it should retain some terps.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
The process of getting rosin to flow in carts/pods also leads to some terp loss over the jar stuff. I don't know if that's entirely a bad thing. The terps in fresh hash can be very high these days. Slightly lower terp content arguably works better in carts with a shorter, dry vapor path.

The fanciest hash cart/pod makers do recommend refrigerator storage when not in use. Kind of a pain in the ass, but it should retain some terps.

Yeah if you can find them stored cold that would definitely be ideal, but none of my local shops do it so I can't comment much on it.

710 labs CS told me it doesn't matter if the pods are stored in the fridge, but of course it has to as they are very adamant about how their jarred hash/rosin is stored.

For flavor freaks there's still compelling reasons to take a dab, but there's definitely some very good pods out there.

I find that certain terpenes are much more shelf stable than others, for example citrus stuff is pretty stable, which makes sense as terpenes in citrus fruits are able to survive heavy sunlight and higher ambient temperatures.

florduh

I find that certain terpenes are much more shelf stable than others, for example citrus stuff is pretty stable, which makes sense as terpenes in citrus fruits are able to survive heavy sunlight and higher ambient temperatures.

It seems like "live" hash rosin is what I see in carts/pods. Maybe cured hash rosin is a better option for that form factor? I like the taste just as much as live, but only see it in jars.

Carts and pods are great for titrating if you have self control. You can replicate that potential with dabbing but load less than you'd think. Like less than half a rice grain.

IamN2pot

The OP mentioned they have been dry herb vaping. Someone correct me, but I thought that dry herb vaping was/is the cleanest and healthiest way to 'inhale' THC? I press my own rosin from my own flowers/dry sift for my enail. I also have a S and B Plenty for dry herb. It seems to me, personally, that the dry herb is cleaner. Less plant fats and lipids with the dry herb. More in the rosin, at least that's what it tast like to me?

florduh

It seems to me, personally, that the dry herb is cleaner. Less plant fats and lipids with the dry herb. More in the rosin

@invertedisdead reading this

D0gr0JIWsAAun-a.jpg

@IamN2pot I don't think we know enough to say which is healthier. It would be nice to see some good research, but I'm not holding my breath.

As for lipids/oils. That's literally what your dry herb vape is extracting from the flower in the form of vapor. When you press the flower first, you're just separating un-vapeable plant material out first before consuming.

Dry herb vaping is kind of "bone-in" rosin dabbing.

IamN2pot

@invertedisdead reading this

D0gr0JIWsAAun-a.jpg

@IamN2pot I don't think we know enough to say which is healthier. It would be nice to see some good research, but I'm not holding my breath.

As for lipids/oils. That's literally what your dry herb vape is extracting from the flower in the form of vapor. When you press the flower first, you're just separating un-vapeable plant material out first before consuming.

Dry herb vaping is kind of "bone-in" rosin dabbing.
Yeah, that sounds right. It make sense that you should get more plant 'stuff' vaping dry flower at 375* than pressing dry sift rosin at 145*. Back in the day (1994), dry herb vaping was the healthiest, because the only alternative was combustion. YUCK! ....wake up N2, time have changed. :zzz:

If you're considering switching to dabs from a dry herb vape, it's important to start with a small amount to avoid getting too high. A rice grain-sized dab is a good starting point, and it's important to stick to your planned frequency and dosage to avoid developing tolerance. Live resin and rosin are high-quality, full-spectrum options, but make sure to choose a reputable supplier to ensure purity and quality.

Even if you use the same product, the experience of a dab and a cart can differ. Dabbing involves inhaling the vaporized concentrate directly, while carts may contain flavorings or thinning agents that can impact the experience. Additionally, dabbing with a rig allows for more precise temperature control, which can affect the effects and flavor of the concentrate.

While dabs can be a healthier option for some, it's important to note that any form of inhalation carries potential health risks. Dabbing pure live rosin can be a more natural option, as carts may contain additives or thinning agents. However, it's important to choose a reputable supplier and consider the potential risks associated with dabbing, such as high temperatures and exposure to potentially harmful compounds.

Artrix Global,
Reactions: Unibonger

Okla68

Get yourself a Rosin Press....press your own Homegrown flower. You know EXACTLY what you are getting then !
You can Dab it or Decarb it and Ingest it !

it's always a good idea to start with smaller amounts, listen to your body, and adjust your consumption accordingly to find the right balance for your preferences and tolerance :)

Artrix Global,
Reactions: Okla68
Top Bottom