Frenchy Cannoli

superdang9000

Flameo Hotman!
No but I'd love to, I've been binging on some of his older videos... trying to up my bubble hash game for my next harvest. He covers quite a bit of his process in a couple of those vids, though.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
No but I'd love to, I've been binging on some of his older videos... trying to up my bubble hash game for my next harvest. He covers quite a bit of his process in a couple of those vids, though.

I'm sure you already saw this but anyone else interested in the process should definitely check this video, tons of gems. Particularly the part he mentions about "ripeness" and "shaking the tree" - very unique perspective and obviously, a modern legend in our culture!

Would be awesome to take his class, although I do find that most vaporizers struggle with pressed hash like he teaches, I'd probably be turning most of it into rosin, even though Frenchy isn't really big on turning hash into oil.

MinnBobber

Would be awesome to take his class, although I do find that most vaporizers struggle with pressed hash like he teaches, I'd probably be turning most of it into rosin, even though Frenchy isn't really big on turning hash into oil.
.........................................................................................................
Hash to rosin has many great things going for it. I dream of trying it in the future as sorrily no hashsish for me for many years (except a couple trips to Amsterdam) :(
I'd even want to try it without me making the hash (never done that)

So, starting with some clean, well-made, potent hash that hopefully was purchased at a reasonable price!!
1. Much higher rosin yield vs pressing flowers
2. It takes much less pressure to squish hash to rosin, vs flower to rosin. Typically, most report about 1/2 the
pressure vs flower.
3. With #2 above, even hand presses would do a fine job so squishing is accessible to almost everyone ---- you just need to be able to store a "big shoebox sized profile".
4. Hash looks like it would be an easier, simpler, less messy, etc rosin pressing process with great return percentages.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
So, starting with some clean, well-made, potent hash that hopefully was purchased at a reasonable price!!

That's the only kicker!

Especially when I start thinking maybe I should only be vaping full melt bubble hash :D :tinfoil: :ninja:

maybe after sampling some rosin. :smug:

I should hope so! :D
Just something about that hash rosin that really does it!

invertedisdead,
Reactions: MinnBobber

Farid

I've taken one of his classes. They're very informative, but the best part is being able to ask any questions you want on the spot. Everything he tells you is available online in his videos, but seeing it done in person makes the whole process much more relatable and the information is not abridged in any way.

I think I learned more about growing quality bud for hash than I did about making hash. A lot of Frenchy's opinions about growing are probably controversial (waiting for maximum amber heads for example) but he has sound reasoning behind them. Likewise some of his opinions on pressing are controversial, however I am definitely in the pressed hash camp. find pressed hash broken up vapes very well compared to unpressed resin, which tends to clump up limiting airflow.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Likewise some of his opinions on pressing are controversial, however I am definitely in the pressed hash camp.

Do you like to press the hash with heat like Frenchy does?

find pressed hash broken up vapes very well compared to unpressed resin, which tends to clump up limiting airflow.

What vapes do you have good luck vaping pressed hash in?
Isn't pressed hash of quality pretty hard to break up? I've tried slicing off slivers with a razor blade in various vapes but never really had good luck.

invertedisdead,

Farid

I press with a glass bottle full of warm water, same as Frenchy. I don't think that heat is bad for flavor, on the contrary I think it helps transform the flavor. I find with pressed hash I can break it open and the odor is intense. I'd be willing to bet that pressed resin that has been aged a long time will hold it's flavor longer than unpressed resin. Frenchy backs this up with anecdotes about decades old temple balls that have preserved their odor/flavor even when stored in the air, without any container.

As for heat degrading THC to CBN I haven't noticed different effects with such low heat. To be honest with the strain I've grown I wish the CBN content was higher, since it's a bit too high in THC as is.

As for which vapes work with hash, I've had great luck with a Dynavap with a CCD, and a regular screen on top of that. The screen helps prevent leakage, keeping the hash in the oven. I've also had great luck with the Tubo evic and melty hash. Any vaporizer that is on demand, allows you to push it with the heat, and has the ability to be cleaned should be great. Back in the day I used to use a mflb with hash l, but since you can't fully clean it it's not as ideal.

Last edited:

passenger

is this thing on?
My condolences to friends and family to their loss as the activist and traditionalist has unfortunately passed. Gone is the chance to taste his work one day for me, which of course is insignificant to this news. One of the great, alongside with Jack Herer, has gone! Their work will stay. Here's to Frenchy!

MegaMan2k

Byrd extracts used to work with Frency on many projects, he throws a lot of gold nuggets in this latest stream on FCP

his contribution to the community will not be lost, it will now be passed on more than ever from all his peers

Farid

Something that really made Frenchy special was his desire to teach. His whole process was based on knowledge he had acquired visiting hash producing countries, and he had a real respect and admiration for these traditions. He didn't present his techniques as his own, but rather an evolution of what others before him had done for millennia.

This is really unique in his field, where so many of his contemporaries horde information, or try to sell products.

His legacy lives on in the thousands of hash makers he has taught and inspired over the years.

One thing that really sticks with me from meeting Frenchy was our discussion of vaporizing hash. I gave him a Dynavap M, and showed him how it worked with hash.

He told me that he wished someone would make a vaporizer specifically designed for traditional hash. He even described what he thought would be needed - something that could heat a piece of hash from every direction, not just the top or sides. I hope this inspires some future manufacturers to pursue such a device.

It's funny, while I learned so much about hash from Frenchy, I think I learned more about cannabis itself, and growing it from him. He is among a handful of people, along with George from Dynavap, and some of my professors, who I will forever consider my mentors. People with an incredible ability to teach and inspire.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
A vaporizer specifically designed for real pressed hashish would be great.

The main issue I see is the current relative unpopularity of real hash in the US.
For me it's weird as I always thought hash was fantastic, and worlds better than smoked flower. But I feel like most Americans view it more as a "bowl topper" than an exclusive thing enjoyed by itself. We have dab culture through the core, but hash culture is kind of hard to find. Often notice hash heads I do meet weren't born here so they are able to provide a different perspective.

I think that's what made Frenchy's classes sought after is its kind of something you have to make yourself. Last shish I tried was from a European guy who was living here, who commented the California flowers were great but there's no hash to be found - so he has to make his own. Nothing like that warm, cerebral fuzz from some real hash!

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I've never had my hands on one, but I know Frenchy was a tremendous fan of Quasar- and from everything I see, it has got to be the ULTIMATE device for his product... like a hookah on steroids.

FlyingLow,

PPN

Volute of Vapor
How old he was? Looks like a pretty young guy... but there is so many peoples who quit us too young. I never spoke with him but I gave a look at his videos. Never tried his Temple Balls but he share a lot of nice tricks for hash makers I'll probably use when I'll try to make hasch again!

PPN,

pacogollo

He was 64 years old, yes he was young... 😠
https://softsecrets.com/en-GB/article/hashish-legend-frenchy-cannoli-passes-away

The truth is that Frenchy, due to his travels, stories and everything he knew, was a very loved person in the cannabis world, saving distances, deaths are painful like Franco de Loja's. 👿

But he left many writings or published videos with which we can learn for free, a very great person and with great enthusiasm.

And there was talk here of The Dank Duchess... although he learned from him, because of the type of life and the generational difference, they are different, but everything he does is also very interesting.

It would be cool to have a rooftop like yours, hehehe -> https://cannabisnow.com/international-cannabis-curio-dank-duchess/

Here is something written between the two -> https://www.edrosenthal.com/the-gur...his-student-explore-the-preservation-of-resin

pacogollo,
Reactions: GoldenBud

GoldenBud

Did Frechny Cannoli ever explained why he used the "hot bottle method" ? In the tables, at the bottom of this page, I don't see the terpene "Hashishene":
Terpenes.jpg

so I doubt why he would use the hot bottle method? I don't see a reason to insert energy into THCA/Terpenes molecules.
thanks for any reply.

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Did Frechny Cannoli ever explained why he used the "hot bottle method" ?

so I doubt why he would use the hot bottle method? I don't see a reason to insert energy into THCA/Terpenes molecules.
thanks for any reply.
Apparently, it was of his opinion that for it to even be considered "hashish", the trichomes must be heated (decarboxylated) and pressed... otherwise it's "Ice Wax" or something else. It's really as simple as that. Among other reasons (flavor, texture, effects etc), the man enjoyed eating it as well as smoking...

Read more from him about it here:

Some info on Hashishene:

Last edited:

GoldenBud

the trichomes must be heated (decarboxylated) and pressed
I see, but in a vaporizer, from my expenrience, THCA is much better than THC.. you want to decarb your own hash.. I can understand that he was adding some hash (his lowest grade) to coffee etc' so it must be decarbed, but decarb your hash that you vape/smoke, before you vaporize it, is like... taking off the spirit of it...

I want to decarb my THCA "online", when I vaporize, not before it... I want "fresh" dried hash, not something that is already decarbed.

Read more from him about it here:
"Oxidation happens mainly during the drying process, in a nutshell it changes the THC in CBD"
I can't agree with this, THCA/CBDA are very stable molecules, I wish I could talk to him about it, lol. I hardly doubt while the drying process the THCA/CBDA are getting oxidized anyhow. need to see some scientific proof or so, idk

GoldenBud,
Reactions: passenger

passenger

is this thing on?
Frenchy had a process similar to traditional hash making. It was very important to him and he said the result is superior to the modern extracts, like less edgy, more rounded effects. He was comparing it to a good wine I think. I would not throw that view aside as esoteric. I think it will alter the entourage effect to some degree. I wouldn't want pure THC for example, studies showed it has a less therapeutic potential as flower, and most patients did not like the experience. The traditional heating will probably result in a partially decarbed product, so it will surely be a different experience.

Hippie

Hash smells and tastes different compared to the flower and kief it was made from - so there must be some changes going on.
It's just kief if none of the trichomes have been worked or pressed or melted in some way (and left to cure for a while), in my opinion

Hippie,
Reactions: cx714

fraktal

Watch on IG the account of baaba879 a real afghan smoker it’s awesome, Frenchy knew him well.

fraktal,
Top Bottom