First Desktop: MiniVap vs Coughlog

lazy

I've spent months trying to research my first desktop and I think I've finally managed to whittle it down to these two. I'm not sure what I should go for though.

Is it true that with the MiniVap (using PTFE-QzC) you can load and take a hit and then ignore it, and it wouldn't continue to cook your material? If this is true, then it might be the deciding factor (I'd probably end up purchasing it without the battery).

The CL looks lovely as well though - I can really appreciate the versatility and simplicity of it.

Some extra details which might be useful for any kind soul who can help:

• So far have only owned a Dynavap and Solo 2, and although I've been vaping for a couple of years I do regard myself as clueless noob.
  • I only vape indoors. Paranoia and anxiety prevent me from enjoying it outdoors (also, it help keep my tolerance in check if I lay down ground rules :p)
  • My sessions are usually a really slow climb. I love to take my time at each level (if that makes sense).
  • I hate stirring. I hate doing anything when I'm trying to relax tbh. The less faff the better.
  • My tolerance is typically 2 solo stems and a couple of Dynavap stems, although I usually just vape on weekends.
  • Not a cloud chaser, not a flavour chaser, I just like a nice smooth hit.
  • Efficiency is very important to me.
  • I do enjoy my Dynavap still, but usually it's with low temp cap and taking a hit every now and then, but the ritual is getting old, and I'm not keen on the signature at all. I also still like the Solo 2, but I'm getting bored with sucking on it for 15 minutes straight.
Desktops I've looked at but ruled out:

• Volcano Hyribid, DBV, SSV, Super Surfer, LSV, XQ2 - the more I read about whips and bags, the more I realise they're not my style. There's also the clutter element, which I'm not keen on.
  • Herborizer - I really like the looks of this device, but after a few days consideration realised it would ruin my ability to relax, ie, regardless how careful I'll be, they'll always be that voice in the back of my head that'll tell me to be careful etc. Personally, it would just ruin my session.
  • Sticky Bricks. Too much work, too much faffing about.
  • Other log vapes - I love the whole log concept, they really appeal to me, but most of them are in the US (I'm not in the US).
  • Tafee Bowle - not a desktop, but I realise this might also be a good option, but ideally looking for something that'll last for years.
Thanks for anyone who can help. Hopefully I've managed to include the pertinent information.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Is it true that with the MiniVap (using PTFE-QzC) you can load and take a hit and then ignore it, and it wouldn't continue to cook your material? If this is true, then it might be the deciding factor (I'd probably end up purchasing it without the battery).
I don't have a MV, but I believe this depends on the core you choose. Some Minivap core add some conduction to the mix.

I do have a CL and love it, but is suspect you will be happy with either. I believe @Razhumikin , @jasp3r , and @Abele Rizieri Ferrari have MVs and CLs.

Razhumikin

I can come back to this and give a more detailed explanation after work or we can talk in messages later if you want more info but, based on your stated preferences and as someone with both cl and a teflon mv, i would say you should get the mv.

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

it true that with the MiniVap (using PTFE-QzC) you can load and take a hit and then ignore it, and it wouldn't continue to cook your material?
It's never ideal to leave the herb in a hot place. It won't per se cook your herb like conduction session vapes do, but still. This is the case for both vapes though.. Depending on how you use the CL it will be easier to remove the heating element completely from the herb though.

As for your list I'll respond to the points where I found the difference between the two vapes is significant.

My sessions are usually a really slow climb. I love to take my time at each level (if that makes sense).
MV temp settings make this very easy. It's also ime a slower extractor than CL.

Efficiency is very important to me.

The way I use CL it's more efficient than MV. I haven't used CL for stretched sessions with many hits. I have used it for stretched sessions with fewer hits. For your use - even though CL might still be technically more efficient - you might have a more durable use out pf your herb with MV in those stretched sessions you're after.

I'm getting bored with sucking on it for 15 minutes straight.
This is what my MV sessions looked like, because I was afraid of the herb going to waste with that heater underneath it. Because i use my CL with the herb chamber unattached to the heater (except when hitting) it offers more relaxation.

Like @Razhumikin I think the MV is the better option for you. And that comes from someone who loves their CL, and shelved their MV not too long after receiving it. I just should put an ad in the classifieds section for it. (I'm in EU and have glass core with the 5 temp settings should you be interested :p)

lazy

It's never ideal to leave the herb in a hot place. It won't per se cook your herb like conduction session vapes do, but still. This is the case for both vapes though.. Depending on how you use the CL it will be easier to remove the heating element completely from the herb though.

As for your list I'll respond to the points where I found the difference between the two vapes is significant.

MV temp settings make this very easy. It's also ime a slower extractor than CL.

The way I use CL it's more efficient than MV. I haven't used CL for stretched sessions with many hits. I have used it for stretched sessions with fewer hits. For your use - even though CL might still be technically more efficient - you might have a more durable use out pf your herb with MV in those stretched sessions you're after.

This is what my MV sessions looked like, because I was afraid of the herb going to waste with that heater underneath it. Because i use my CL with the herb chamber unattached to the heater (except when hitting) it offers more relaxation.

Like @Razhumikin I think the MV is the better option for you. And that comes from someone who loves their CL, and shelved their MV not too long after receiving it. I just should put an ad in the classifieds section for it. (I'm in EU and have glass core with the 5 temp settings should you be interested :p)
Thank you for your response, very informative. I'm going to have to sit down and have another ponder! It's great to hear from someone who has used both.

lazy

I can come back to this and give a more detailed explanation after work or we can talk in messages later if you want more info but, based on your stated preferences and as someone with both cl and a teflon mv, i would say you should get the mv.
Very much appreciated if you're able to add your thoughts later on. I've got to go to bed in a min, but will check out this thread some time tomorrow. Cheers!

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I don't see anything in your usage style that really screams "desktop," any reason you're not considering the always happily recommended TinyMight2? Would be easy to get if you're in Europe. And the easy temp stepping would fit your style better most likely.

lazy

I don't see anything in your usage style that really screams "desktop," any reason you're not considering the always happily recommended TinyMight2? Would be easy to get if you're in Europe. And the easy temp stepping would fit your style better most likely.
That's a very good point. I can't quite put my finger on it, but the TM just doesn't appeal to me. Perhaps because of the 18650s (I've been a nic vaper for 10+ years and my life circles around 18650s) and just want a nice easy plug in. I won't rule it out completely though, and I ought to do more research, since so I know it has a great rep.

Last edited:

Vaporware

A lot of portables have 18650s in them, whether you can replace them or not. You can charge in the TM so you never have to think about the battery itself if you don’t want to, but you always have the option to swap/replace it too.

Top Bottom