Feel like upgrading my Splinter Z but which portable?

Drug

I've been using my Splinter Z for about a year and a half and while I still enjoy it, I feel like upgrading to a unit that doesn't require a mod. I do appreciate on demand convection heating, I think I no longer can go without the luxury of putting the device away for a while without it vaporizing my herb. On the other hand, the Firewood 7 looks appealing. Other portables on my watch list are the Tinymight and the Tetra P80. The former of which suffers from cs issues and at least suffered from qc issues, the latter is hard to obtain (and is still powered by a mod, but with its integrated design I find that acceptable). Other qualities I'm looking for is ruggedness (I want to be able to take it bikepacking for example), portable form factor, adaptable for use through water, and low maintenance.

So, besides the three options mentioned, did I miss any? I looked at the MV1 as well, but it's so plastic-y plus support is an issue here since as I recall it the company didn't make it. Hopper Labs offers something on paper, but is tainted because of issues with qc and and cs not unlike Tinymight, otherwise I like the looks of their product (although I fear some form over function might be at place, but I don't need the stealth so would prefer function over form).

The thing is I really like the Tinymight and I would've already bought it, were I not concerned it will lead to disappointment because of the aforementioned issues. I've been reading the thread and given recent buyer's response and the fact I'm based in Europe, I think I'm willing to give it a try. I filled my cart with all the extras multiple times now, but every time something keeps me from purchasing. I understand I'm the one who has to decide if I'm gonna bite that bullet, but I'd be a fool not to ask the FC community their view on my choice. FYI I already use Dynavap (with IH) and I'm excluding butane powered as an option.

Drug,
Reactions: Cheebsy

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Two things:

1) I've been telling everyone on the Splinter thread to try their Z on a Red Panda mod so grab a Joyetech Espion or Wismec Ravage at some point to maximize your Z performance at home

2) Especially as an EU person I do recommend the Tinymight for on the go convection magic. It's a very fair criticism that they've been unable to get timely email replies and updates on repairs. But it's also true that a lot of the complaints on the TM thread are just folks bitching while they wait for their unit to ship. Even the repair requests are all getting taken care of in time.

Never used a Firewood. P80 isn't gonna be a rugged hiking vape. The Tank and Nub stems are meant to create a more compact build but we're still talking about a vape with a ground glass joint like your Z so even with a wooden stem you're looking at less portability and more break risk.

The Tinymight doesn't have the ceiling for flavor to rival any of my Zs and it doesn't stretch out the extraction as nicely for flavor hits. That said, the coil heater is excellent for rapid extraction and very consistent so it's like you have a wooden portable similar in shape to a Fury Edge or Crafty only you can go from a cold start to massive on demand convection hits in five seconds. Its performance is comparable to a Splinter V1/2 but with the side by side design and single cell form factor the P80 has.

Drug

I regularly vape outside with devices with glass parts and luckily I never broke one of them. I'm more afraid of internals being unable to withstand the shaking from a bike ride and similar movement.

Drug,

Murph101

Is the ravage/espion really that good an upgrade? I followed the discussion on the Splinter Z thread where it was mentioned. Reason I ask is that I recently got a zv2 + gen3 rx with Arctic fox, and it seems to be working well on tcr, but I think it was mentioned that red panda (with dialed in settings) provided a more even vape when compared to Arctic fox? I don't really get many hotspots with the gen3 at the minute, but I do stir every hit. Would love to be able to cut down on stirring.

Apologies on the derailment. Back to OPs question, I've had a couple of the vapes mentioned (Mv1/fury edge/ fw) The Mv1 was a bit fidgity imo and could be a bit of a hassle to get good vapor consistently, really good flavour though. The fury edge was great as a rugged outdoor vape, short sessions, capsules and better battery than the fury 2. But with a high tolerance I was sucking on it constantly when out and about. I had a firewood 5 which was my favorite hiking vape as it was small, on demand, tastey vapor and fit in well with the woodland vibe. Regret selling it.

I haven't tried the firewood 7 or tinymight, but reviews of their performance have been pretty good overall. If you go into it knowing that there may possible delays/issues with both (TM = customer service, FW7 = i believe it had a mouthpiece upgrade, I don't know if anymore upgrades are planned, but as an EU customer extra shipping to buy new upgrade parts may add up) you probably can't go wrong with either of those.

Murph101,
Reactions: Drug

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Ruggedness is not a feature of Tinymight or Tetra, imho. They have both glass parts. I’d get a Fury Edge, if you want to vape outside and don’t be bothered by a fragile unit.
FE is also really pocketable and has a capsule system.
I forget if you own both a Tinymight and a Fury Edge but @Murph101 gets right to the heart of the matter: the Fury Edge is definitely more rugged and portable in every way, however it's just a wimpy session vape so after waiting for it to reach temp you'll take two or three hits for every one you'd take on the Tinymight. The TM is a game changer in that way: it's not some perfect holy grail device, it just offers big, fast on demand convection hits like the hopelessly flawed and poorly designed MV1 was supposed to in something approaching the Fury Edge size.

To put it another way: if our OP already has a Z at home and his thread title is "looking to upgrade my Splinter Z" it's FC malpractice to recommend a Fury Edge. There's no way wispy hits from a dosing capsule are gonna satisfy on a bike ride compared to the Splinter V1/2 kinda vapor quality the Tinymight provides. And unlike my Fury Edge the Tinymight still has a chance of seeing use at home. I don't like the clogging and diminished flavor of the TM's stainless steel cooling unit so I always use mine with custom j-hooks at home for an all glass vapor path.

Is the ravage/espion really that good an upgrade?
Yeah, either Red Panda mod will get you more even roasting and superior flavor and consistency with your ZV2. I owned a bunch of RX Gen3 Duals running Arctic Fox and myevic and the Red Panda mods are the clear winner. I've sold all but one of my DNA250C mods at this point because the Ravage or Espion does an even better job for like a quarter of the price.

Last edited:

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
No, @Mr. Me2 the Neo is a pre-order ceramic heater attached to a single cell eleaf mod and it's designed to heat loose weed in a pipe carried separately. I don't see how that checks any boxes for a Z owner looking for rugged portable. The OP says right at the top he wants to get something that's not on a mod.

Mr. Me2

No, @Mr. Me2 the Neo is a pre-order ceramic heater attached to a single cell eleaf mod and it's designed to heat loose weed in a pipe carried separately. I don't see how that checks any boxes for a Z owner looking for rugged portable. The OP says right at the top he wants to get something that's not on a mod.
Okayyyyy..... you’re right...

Mr. Me2,

Drug

Incidentally I got the Neo on pre-order, but i expect it to be more of a fun piece to use with friends. For a daily driver I'm looking for something else. Like others have said above, the TM seems to check all boxes. I haven't decided just yet, but I'm getting there.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Depending on how you want to use it I don't think the Tinymight needs many accessories. I just saw one on the FC classifieds for $420 with long stems, short stems, extra cooling units, and the Grav upline taster we all wanted to try once we learned it would fit (not nearly enough cooling for my preference).

Opinions vary of course but I only got the vape and the short stem it comes with. I use the stock stem when I want to carry it in my pocket and otherwise I use a flipped Splinter straight stem as a WPA to rock a j-hook like I mentioned earlier.
PXL_20201215_141915965~2.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom