• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Extracting from AVB- Best Practices & Methods

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I have a shitload of AVB, and am getting some decent butter out of it and using to make Coffee Cake. For effectiveness, the recipe does call for a generous amount of butter, and I want to do something different.

I want to make a concentrate.

That said, I have used AVB to make tincture and it is awful... Swamp-water does not fully describe the awfulness in a bottle that AVB creates.

So I want to try my hand at either a QWISO or a BHO run, and am curious which will result in better tasting and more effective final product. Considering I am using AVB and not fresh herb, is one method preferred over the other?

FlyingLow,
Reactions: tuk

215z

IMO isopropyl and everclear do a better job of capturing flavor than butane. If you feel the same way, it may make sense to use butane.

215z,

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
:popcorn: As a recent convert to vaping, I'm interested in seeing what everyone else suggests. Since the brownies I made were so-so (didn't really feel anything) - though my wife seemed to enjoy them, so if nothing else, I'll keep making it for her, ha ha

As someone else said, quality in = quality out

ABV isn't going to taste great no matter how well you can extract. I've found more diffusion (multiple glass pieces combined) helps reduce the harsh flavor of vaped reclaim so it's bearable.

I have yet to try making butter, I think the wife wouldn't enjoy the aromas produced while it cooks

Last edited by a moderator:

spoutti

I have never done concentrates, but I got a shit load of abv accumulated. Like you flyinglow, my abv green (more like brown haha!) dragon tincture was too awefull to consume. Wasnt satisfied with my brownies, so next batch will be extraction with iso or ethanol. I read qwet tastes better than qwiso with buds, but how about with abv?

I thought adding the winterizing step would help with the abv concentrate taste... Any thoughts?

Tx @FlyingLow for your concentrates questions overall. You seem to ask the qs I have in my head too

215z

I don't think winterizing helps much with ABV, the plant waxes have been mostly vaped out of the ABV.
Brown ABV tastes like ass so it works out better to not vape bud so far gone, but to cash out when its still green but weak. That is a slippery slope argument, you'll find yourself (like me) asking why vape bud at all, instead of extracting it all from the get go?

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Thanks spout:)

I realize this thread is not going to get much action, and many argue it is not worth the effort with AVB; however I still want to experiment.

Most importantly, I think it will provide a good introduction for me to familiarize myself with extraction processes without risking high dollar material.

FlyingLow,
Reactions: 215z

HillaryClinton

Future ruler of earth
So you tried the ABV in an e cig as a tincture? It tasted that bad? I mean AVB itself isn't awful tasting, I was curious myself, found these:

http://vaporblog.org/blog/guides/stealth-vaping-with-diy-cannabis-e-liquid/

http://www.reddit.com/r/vaporents/comments/1sjj1r/four_different_methods_for_making_ecig_juice_in/

I wanted to try to vape on AVB liquid in an e cig but heard you needed to use Butane or high content alcohol(Things I'm not comfortable cooking), this seems to contradict that....

The first link kinda surprised me, only 14g of fresh herb(Guessing you would need more with AVB haha) per 400ml is kinda crazy, whats that like 28ml a gram?

I also thought this was interesting: "Also make sure to pick up some spare atomizers, as I find that cannabis e-liquid tends clog atomizers easier than regular e-liquid does." mainy because I think it would be wise to add 20% distilled or boiled water to it to make it less thick to combat that. Maybe I should send him an email before he annihilates 100 coils...

:popcorn: As a recent convert to vaping, I'm interested in seeing what everyone else suggests. Since the brownies I made were so-so (didn't really feel anything) - though my wife seemed to enjoy them, so if nothing else, I'll keep making it for her, ha ha

How much did you use for a batch of brownies? An ounce does it, I let it cook in coconut oil on a low heat for like 2 hours and then cook the brownies a bit lower then the box says, forgot exact temp, been a while.

Last edited:
HillaryClinton,

tuk

My AVB is uniform coffee with the odd speck of gold, so wasn't expecting much.

I did 2x 20sec iso washes, what was left after evap looked akin to coffee coloured kief, soft n fluffy, kinda dry looking & totally non sticky.

The texture is perfect for vaping, just drop a little on top of some flowers, effect wise it adds a whole new bottom end to the flowers....like a heavy Indica vibe which outlasts even the top-shelf flower effect.

After tasting, I started wondering if there wasn't a few more washes left in the AVB I threw away, the 2nd wash was stronger than the 1st.

AVB is perfect for newbies dialling in solvent extraction, source product is free and final results are strong Indica.

I followed the guide below, evapped on my window ledge until visible liquid had gone, then floated dish in hot water for 1 hour.

http://skunkpharmresearch.com/qwiso/

Last edited:

215z

Ahh I see, probably gonna try to dive into it, seems interesting and I like that clouds that the Vegetable glycerin to be honest, its sorta nice.

Just seems so easy, expected it to be harder....
It is too good to be true - and is akin to making cannabis tea by steeping ganja in hot water. Flavorful tea, but it will not get you high.

VG is a better solvent of cannabis resin than water, but it is so weak a solvent that the resulting liquid is only useful for oral consumption. That is to say, you would need to vape SO MUCH vg tincture to get high that it is not practical. Not even with cutting edge cloud-chasing e-cig hardware.

I agree that VG is very pleasant to vape.

HillaryClinton

Future ruler of earth
It is too good to be true - and is akin to making cannabis tea by steeping ganja in hot water. Flavorful tea, but it will not get you high.

VG is a better solvent of cannabis resin than water, but it is so weak a solvent that the resulting liquid is only useful for oral consumption. That is to say, you would need to vape SO MUCH vg tincture to get high that it is not practical. Not even with cutting edge cloud-chasing e-cig hardware.

I agree that VG is very pleasant to vape.

So they are all pretty much placebo effects over at Reddit? Kinda amazing in itself....

I mean people seem pretty sure of themselves haha...

So many people doing vids like this, they just wasting herb? Damn man haha, wonder how tea would work mixed with VG.... :D

HillaryClinton,

215z

Yes, sadly, they are just wasting herb @HillaryClinton

The proof is in the pudding: start with a concentrated cannabis extract, and try mixing that with PG or VG. It mixes somewhat when hot, but once it cools you will see puddles of cannamagic separate from the menstruum/solvent.

HillaryClinton

Future ruler of earth
Yes, sadly, they are just wasting herb @HillaryClinton

The proof is in the pudding: start with a concentrated cannabis extract, and try mixing that with PG or VG. It mixes somewhat when hot, but once it cools you will see puddles of cannamagic separate from the menstruum/solvent.

What about the method he uses, cooking it first(Which is basically done for ABV from what I can tell haha...). These people really seem to think it works, I might try it with a tiny bit of herb as to not waste any(With no AVB, with AVB I don't really care if I waste much haha...). I have an e-cig anyways so ehh idk.

Its a crime if these guys are wasting all that though... :(

HillaryClinton,

215z

The problem with directly extracting ganja (fresh or ABV) using PG/VG is that you have no idea what you have extracted. Terpenes, chlorophyll, plant waxes, cannabinoids, other stuff, or combinations thereof? Producing a yellow or brown liquid from ganja does not mean there are cannabinoids in there - or that there is much of it.

HillaryClinton

Future ruler of earth
Hmm yeah guess that makes sense, man the mind is a powerful thing, all the dudes in the comments tend to think 10-15 pulls is equal to a joint smoked.

HillaryClinton,

Newcastle

Stoned!
I realized this morning that I have been using denatured alcohol. I think I will toss my last small batch and start over. I used it to clean my screens and i poured it out and let it evaporate yesterday. Do you think it's safe or dump it?

Newcastle,

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Recently I've been trying to make QWET - though I need to find a better way to strain this stuff! Any suggestions?

Delta3DStudios,

Newcastle

Stoned!
I need someone to tell me to dump it so I feel better about doing so. :freak: Man I don't know now I got in my head that denatured is okay to use. Well in the trash that goes.

Newcastle,
Reactions: way2

Newcastle

Stoned!
Okay I think I will get over my loss and learning experience. I just gathered some ABV up and without weighing it, I have a 32oz pickle jar full. :brow: I have that and a 16 oz bottle of 90% ISO in the freezer. Is this enough ISO or should I double up? In the morning I will give it a 30 second shake. I am not sure of my filtration system though. Is a coffee filter to fine? Will I strain out the goodies? I am pouring it into a glass dish and placing a small fan over it. By the end of the day I should have a little razor work to do. :rockon: Does this sound about right?

Newcastle,
Top Bottom