EVOLV Cricket

Easywider

Simple is the way
Update: It worked surprisingly well. I had a couple sessions at 455 and one at 555. Great flavor all around, nice instant vapor production. The flavor was so pure this way. None of that hempy rayon cotton aftertaste.

Clean up was easy. The higher 555 temp I found the material stuck a bit more but I’m not sure if it was the temp or if I may have overloaded a little and didn’t quite finish it all before I Q-tipped.

Straight up clean dry q-tips. No other helpers needed and it worked great. Mind you I had to use about 3 full ones each time as the hash gums them up quick but it wasn’t stubborn in anyway.

Next time im going to try breaking the q-tip in half and using the butt ends to shovel the spent material out then wipe with the cotton ends.

Razhumikin

Cricket is out for delivery, and the report from @Easywider has me like:
Happy Jeff Goldblum GIF by Apartments.com

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Update: It worked surprisingly well. I had a couple sessions at 455 and one at 555. Great flavor all around, nice instant vapor production. The flavor was so pure this way. None of that hempy rayon cotton aftertaste.

Clean up was easy. The higher 555 temp I found the material stuck a bit more but I’m not sure if it was the temp or if I may have overloaded a little and didn’t quite finish it all before I Q-tipped.

Straight up clean dry q-tips. No other helpers needed and it worked great. Mind you I had to use about 3 full ones each time as the hash gums them up quick but it wasn’t stubborn in anyway.

Next time im going to try breaking the q-tip in half and using the butt ends to shovel the spent material out then wipe with the cotton ends.

I don’t have any “hash” to test, but thought I’d add:
While Qtip cleaning the titanium tub,
I’ve often pulsed the ON button, with cap off, my “cap off” temperature is 200f.
This loosens the concentrates I use, making the final cleaning a bit easier. Then I wipe with 190 ETHO.

Razhumikin

Ok, Cricket is in, charged and calibrated, and im now 3 bowls deep. This device is everything I wanted it to be, its even better than I expected it to be.

The first bowl I did with some mystery hash rosin ive had for a year; I started at 400 and worked my way up to 500, and had a really nice long session that hit me like a truck, with an easy 1 qtip clean up.

Next, i got a little bolder, and tried some bubblicious static sift thats very close to full melt but not quite; i turned the temp down to 380 and got 3 or 4 really tasty hits. The cleanup needed a few more qtips bit was very easy really, just using the cap off setting makes the hash come off pretty easily.

My last bowl was some very nice banana cookies dry sift thats not close to full melt, but has all that classic hash flavor that makes it so scrumptious. I only got 2 hits at 380 from this bowl before the flavor turned, but by god were they glorious, just smacked me right my face with nostlagic, earthy, delicious beautiful terps. This was also the hardest clean up, but that doeant actually mean it was hard. The hash almost entirely comes off ona qtip, but some of the dry sift remnants seem ro have a procilivity to end up in the corners after brushing. Easy to clean with alans bamboo-sewing needle tool though, all in all it took me 45 seconds.

The Cricket really delivers on its promise of tasty dabs anywhere, but being able to handle dry sift like this is just special. Im normally one for convection vaping of hash but goddamn is this thing awesome.

Razhumikin

I bought some live rosin today to use in the cricket and I have to agree, i think its much better for hash. The rosin tastes great, but its just such a pain in the ass to load and clean, even harder than dry sift. Anyone have any good tips for using the cricket with super sticky rosin?

Razhumikin,
Reactions: Grass Yes

VAS_IN_MY_VEINS

The edges of the tub are angled nicely for the built in dab tool.

You use usually scrape off a load, push it into the bottom of the tub and have minimal or no cleanup after loading.

VAS_IN_MY_VEINS,

florduh

I'm considering that new Focus Aeris. But the carb holes on that thing look incredibly unergonomic to use. The holes on the Cricket look easier to use by comparison. Do any Cricket users regularly use the holes as a carb to modulate airflow/draw resistance?

Clapped_r6

Do any Cricket users regularly use the holes as a carb to modulate airflow/draw resresistance
Yep. I start drawing just before it gets to temp. Halfway through the draw I feather the intakes slightly, back and forth, the airflow holes are angled and it moves the oil around a bit so it all vaporizes evenly.
If you "pinch" your fingers slightly blocking both sides of the intake, starting in the middle and going outward, back n forth, you'll see what happens

Easywider

Simple is the way
I'm considering that new Focus Aeris. But the carb holes on that thing look incredibly unergonomic to use. The holes on the Cricket look easier to use by comparison. Do any Cricket users regularly use the holes as a carb to modulate airflow/draw resistance?

I have all mine blocked off accept for the farthest left and right intake. This forces air to come from the sides and continuously push oil into the center of the tub. I wasn't truly happy with the device until this mod. Way less mess and don't have think so much about breath control.

There's lot of people (maybe the majority ) here that prefer to manually feather the intakes though.

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
I blocked off the center three holes on both sides shortly after I got mine, but after many months of using it that way I recently removed the tape and I actually prefer it the way it came (with no holes blocked). When I first blocked the holes besides restricting the draw a little I was hoping it would help keep the tub and glass chimney cleaner for longer but it didn't.

If you examine the plug that holds the glass chimney in (and connects the holes in the cap to the load) you'll see that no only are the holes different diameters but they're also angled. Seems that evolv must have spent some time figuring out the best air path.

Still the best hits, still the most pain-in-the-ass to keep clean. :D

Razhumikin

Still using the cricket every day and honestly its been a lifesaver for me over the last month. I am concerned though that i might be damaging the battery by using a fast charger, does anybody who knows more than I do about electronics know if this is a legitimate concern?

Razhumikin,
Reactions: Grass Yes

Smknbud

Still using the cricket every day and honestly its been a lifesaver for me over the last month. I am concerned though that i might be damaging the battery by using a fast charger, does anybody who knows more than I do about electronics know if this is a legitimate concern?

It's a usb-c device, so by design fast charging should be fine.

RustyOldNail

Most well designed electronic devices ONLY draw the power they need. Therefore, the USB charger you use is not a factor, unless it has a low power output, like the tiny OG USB iPhone chargers, that were .5 amps. It will still charge the device, but super slow. Using a “fast” charger, which means it can deliver 2-3 amps, when the device calls for it, is great.
The Evolv CRICKET, has an approximately 850mAh internal lipo battery, and will ONLY DRAW less then 1 AMP. That’s the fastest charge you will get, no matter how many amps your FAST charger can deliver.

BEST WAY to know this, is by buying a USB charge meter, which I’ve posted multiple times….
Inexpensive, and will tell you exactly how many amps are being drawn continually, as well as how much capacity “mAh”, until battery is full. And something few are aware of, is the USB cable can be the WEAK LINK in your charging. NOT ALL USB cables are the same. Many are unmarked, so you don’t know they maybe the component that is actually LIMITING your charge rate. The USB METER, can show you if the USB CABLE is in fact a weak link. For example, I take a device like the new S&B Venty, which I know can take up to a 3 amp charge, and use one of my “FAST” USB chargers, that can deliver up to 3 amps. Then I test my various USB CABLES, and mark them with the charge rate they can deliver. Some cables can only only deliver 1 amp, which is ok, but most of the newer, good brand USB cables can handle 2-3 amps, only a USB meter can give you this important information! The meter is also another good way to SEE when your device is fully charged, as the charge rate on the meter will go lower, and then show ZERO AMPS, when charging is REALLY done, rather the trusting the lights on the device.

I don’t know, seems $24 to have all this charging information and more is worth it!

seedy53

Most well designed electronic devices ONLY draw the power they need. Therefore, the USB charger you use is not a factor, unless it has a low power output, like the tiny OG USB iPhone chargers, that were .5 amps. It will still charge the device, but super slow. Using a “fast” charger, which means it can deliver 2-3 amps, when the device calls for it, is great.
The Evolv CRICKET, has an approximately 850mAh internal lipo battery, and will ONLY DRAW less then 1 AMP. That’s the fastest charge you will get, no matter how many amps your FAST charger can deliver.

BEST WAY to know this, is by buying a USB charge meter, which I’ve posted multiple times….
Inexpensive, and will tell you exactly how many amps are being drawn continually, as well as how much capacity “mAh”, until battery is full. And something few are aware of, is the USB cable can be the WEAK LINK in your charging. NOT ALL USB cables are the same. Many are unmarked, so you don’t know they maybe the component that is actually LIMITING your charge rate. The USB METER, can show you if the USB CABLE is in fact a weak link. For example, I take a device like the new S&B Venty, which I know can take up to a 3 amp charge, and use one of my “FAST” USB chargers, that can deliver up to 3 amps. Then I test my various USB CABLES, and mark them with the charge rate they can deliver. Some cables can only only deliver 1 amp, which is ok, but most of the newer, good brand USB cables can handle 2-3 amps, only a USB meter can give you this important information! The meter is also another good way to SEE when your device is fully charged, as the charge rate on the meter will go lower, and then show ZERO AMPS, when charging is REALLY done, rather the trusting the lights on the device.

I don’t know, seems $24 to have all this charging information and more is worth it!

ty finally, this is the best explanation i've read that explains usb fast charging and the ability of the usb cables used by some of the vaps.
here's a question, will this device show the total amps drawn or used by the vap itself.

Zillacon

🤠🤠🤠🤠
@RustyOldNail thank you for this information, you seem like a wealth of knowledge for this to which I know very little.

While we have you: what would be the best behavior for prolonging battery life in terms of current capacity and charging? Running the battery to complete depletion, running to a certain "%", or something else?

Thanks!

seedy53

@RustyOldNail thank you for this information, you seem like a wealth of knowledge for this to which I know very little.

While we have you: what would be the best behavior for prolonging battery life in terms of current capacity and charging? Running the battery to complete depletion, running to a certain "%", or something else?

Thanks!
i charge, at 20% left and stop charging, at 95%

RustyOldNail

here's a question, will this device show the total amps drawn or used by the vap itself.

Most decent USB Meters, show how many total amps have been delivered for a specific charge cycle.
So to get an appropriate measurement of a device’s internal battery, you have to run the device to where its voltage cutoff kicks in, and the device’s battery is empty. After you fully charge it, the meter will show how many mAh’s the battery took in. That’s the capacity of the battery.
The meter doesn’t work as a live amp meter if connected while you vape, if that’s what your question refers to?

what would be the best behavior for prolonging battery life in terms of current capacity and charging? Running the battery to complete depletion, running to a certain "%", or something else?

With my Cricket, I just charge it up full, and use it till it’s almost empty. The only way to limit the charge rate, would be to use an under powered USB charger like a .5 amp phone charger, otherwise the Cricket is going to pull between .8 and 1.0 amps. So I don’t bother or worry about that. And unlike some higher end external 18650 chargers, there is no way to see or set the charge voltage, so all you can do is guess when you think an internal only battery is at 80% to manually stop your charging. So again, not something I bother with on this device.
I recently bought a S&B Venty, it has a Bluetooth app, that allows two ECO modes you can select. One limits the amp input, the other limits the charge and cuts off at about 85%. The Venty has two non removable 18650 batteries, so on that device it’s just easy to setup and use ECO mode.

rvarick

I've been using this case that I bought on clearance through a dynavap sale. It works pretty well. It fits iso wipes, a charging cable, the cricket and qtip with some room to spare.

I've also got one of these coming in the mail this week that I'm hoping will be another good case.

Anybody got a case that they're using that they like and would recommend?
This case fits the Cricket well. I was able to find a black one last week, but looks like they're down to green only now.

Top Bottom