Emulating a Joint

Farid

In other threads I've seen discussion describing certain vaporizers as having a "joint like" experience. In my opinion there are many different vapes that capture some elements of this, but none that really do it justice. Obviously no vaporizer will ever really emulate it 100%, but I wanted to break down what I think are the most important aspects, and discuss possible ways these could be achieved.

1) Vapor density. To truly emulate smoke you need thick vapor. Thick enough that the vapor can be inhaled mouth to lung if desired. Some vaporizers can do this, but they tend to be on demand.

2) Continuous heating. To emulate a joint you'd need a session vaporizer you can pass around.

3) A mixture of heat ranges in every hit - from totally green, to very high temp. The cherry of a joint travels down as it burns, effectively vaporizing the weed that is adjacent to the cherry, creating a range of temperatures. The smoke vapor mix then travels through green weed, creating a unique flavor.

4) "Res-ing up". As the joint burns, the smoke/vapor condenses on the green weed. This leads to particularly potent effects.

I think the only way to truly emulate this would be to have a long narrow tube of weed, and a heater that only heats part of the tube at a time. The heater or tube would then have to move throughout the session, so that each hit would be a new section of green weed being heated.

That was kind of long winded, but I figured it might be an interesting point of discussion.

Last edited:

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
There was Tvape ,which actually was made for pre-rolls.

t-vape-vaporizer.jpg

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
There was Tvape ,which actually was made for pre-rolls.

t-vape-vaporizer.jpg

Haha yeah but it heated the whole tube, and the temperature control was pretty bad, mine would always combust with the long tube, but it could rip fast conduction extractions with the short tube I recall... I think I even sold mine to someone here somehow!

Yeah I was going to say IQ2 with its smart path feature, but the idea of having a longer chamber, that only heated sectionally is cool, it would be really nice to not have the bottom overcooked as you continue to extract the goodies near the top though... Flavor always gets ruined later on in the session lol

jasp3r

In other threads I've seen discussion describing certain vaporizers as having a "joint like" experience. In my opinion there are many different vapes that capture some elements of this, but none that really do it justice. Obviously no vaporizer will ever really emulate it 100%, but I wanted to break down what I think are the most important aspects, and discuss possible ways these could be achieved.

1) Vapor density. To truly emulate smoke you need thick vapor. Thick enough that the vapor can be inhaled mouth to lung if desired. Some vaporizers can do this, but they tend to be on demand.

2) Continuous heating. To emulate a joint you'd need a session vaporizer you can pass around.

3) A mixture of heat ranges in every hit - from totally green, to very high temp. The cherry of a joint travels down as it burns, effectively vaporizing the weed that is adjacent to the cherry, creating a range of temperatures. The smoke vapor mix then travels through green weed, creating a unique flavor.

4) "Res-ing up". As the joint burns, the smoke/vapor condenses on the green weed. This leads to particularly potent effects.

I think the only way to truly emulate this would be to have a long narrow tube of weed, and a heater that only heats part of the tube at a time. The heater or tube would then have to move throughout the session, so that each hit would be a new section of green weed being heated.

That was kind of long winded, but I figured it might be an interesting point of discussion.
Check out Vestratto Anvil! Not a session device per day but each heat up can get 2-5 good tokes like a joint. I’m sure you can figure out technique with lighting several times at the tip.

Farid

Some discussions in the anvil thread are what inspired me to start this thread. The anvil isn't a session vaporizer. You can't really pass it, and it it heats the whole load at once. Only similarity it has is vapor density.

That said, I'm not in the market for a vaporizer like this. I hardly even partake anymore. I'm just interested in this subject because I've seen it brought up a lot, and I don't know of any vaporizer that really can hit all those points listed.

jasp3r

Some discussions in the anvil thread are what inspired me to start this thread. The anvil isn't a session vaporizer. You can't really pass it, and it it heats the whole load at once. Only similarity it has is vapor density.

That said, I'm not in the market for a vaporizer like this. I hardly even partake anymore. I'm just interested in this subject because I've seen it brought up a lot, and I don't know of any vaporizer that really can hit all those points listed.
For what it's worth I heat up my Anvil low and slow with my wand and pass it back and forth with another person. Each gets 1 really good hit and 1 solid hit

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
I find the Arizer air comes fairly close to the joint like experience-although slower.

It's always a hit when I bring it out at cricket and it's passed around like a joint.

Funnily enough we all used to smoke joints at the game and now more often it's vapes, with people asking me if I brought one and others even buying their own (it's so rare to convert people I find) and they really liked the slow session style of the arizer, I think for that reason-passing it around and chatting, no stress to hit it fast

Sorry this is getting long but interesting ideas and now that I think about it the air/solo and maybe even more the small one with the longer thinner stem- whatever it's called- have some of those joint like features you mentioned.

The heat kind of comes from the bottom and you slowly kind of heat through the load getting the good stuff through the load and darkening from the heater.

Having said all that, I don't find it a big hitter and pretty much only use it for cricket and concerts.

Farid

I agree, the solo is the best passing vape I've used, but that's just one part of the equation. Just as the anvils thick vapor is just one part as well.

As for joints being gross, that kind of misses the point of this thread. Or course burning paper and weed is going to be worse than vaping. But we're talking about vaping here.

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
meh... joints are fucking gross. I'll never look back.

+1

I now find the whole act of smoking a joint...barbaric.

Tastes awful, makes you stink and no good for your lungs. Won't accept one if passed to me.

Not something I even want to emulate.

oddjobold,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I agree that the Arizer series comes close to an analogous sort of joint experience for me. Main thing it’s really lacking is the instantaneous density of a doobie.

Like a joint, if you don’t fill it right, it won’t hit right, it took me a long time to realize I was loading my Arizer wrong. (way too tight)

But mostly it’s the low maintenance (lowest of anything I’ve ever used, by far, except for a prefilled cartridge and that’s not really fair - although to be honest, the prefilled cartridge is probably closer to the joint experience than most devices too. I know this is a flower centric forum, but the social aspect of a cart is extremely joint like. And it has no problems with putting out dense clouds instantly and with complete demand.

The Arizers are joint like to me in that once they’re running, you don’t have to do anything. You can pass the thing for 15 minutes with no troubles. And you can keep enough stems for a fresh experience every time, which is something joint smokers really like. That’s really what a lot of people enjoy about doobies is that there’s no maintenance involved and nothing to clean. A new one every time.

Like I said in the Air Max thread, if Arizer could add a bit more convection dominance to the mix, it would really be in that ball park I think.

Top Bottom