Electric cigarette explodes in Fla. man's mouth

lepstadder

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46401133/ns/health-addictions/#.TzxAw0xWpr8

Damn!!!!!!

"Fire officials say an electric cigarette exploded in a Florida man's mouth, severely burning his face and knocking out some of his front teeth.
North Bay Fire Department Division Chief Joseph Parker says it appears the cigarette's battery exploded while the man was smoking Monday night. Parker likened it to a bottle rocket going off in the man's mouth. He also lost part of his tongue.
Parker says the man had been using electric cigarettes to help him quit smoking.
Authorities don't know what model cigarette it was.
The victim is being treated at a Mobile, Ala., burn unit."

lepstadder,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Wow! That's really scary! I hope it doesn't happen to anyone else. :(

Vicki,

Egzoset

Banned
Euh...

I'm not utterly surprized, it only illustrates why i sort of consider this specific application as being a form of "Battery Torture": sometimes the poor little battery is bound to kick back i guess! Though i was wondering if that was possible at all, considering internal overload protection was supposed to protect the battery - and the user for that matter. Too bad the story doesn't teach us more...

:peace:

Egzoset,

CHEI

Medical Cannabis Inspector
what?! I hope my mflb isn't succeptable to this.

CHEI,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
CHEI said:
what?! I hope my mflb isn't succeptable to this.
MFLB type batteries are very likely to explode if left in contact with metal for long enough or if damage the shell. If there the batt is leaking or will be leaking .. first there is some kind of protective oil that leaks.. (brown liquid) and than if damaged further or used.. it will likely outgas and explode if the pressure cannot outbrake trough the penetration area due to tiny size and/or clog.. Anyway even if it doesn't explode this can soak up into your wood.. and outgas everytime your battery gets hot..
:p

Abysmal Vapor,

Egzoset

Banned
Hi,

My fear would be that internal overload protection just can't be efficient against all modes of catastrophic failure. I'm sure these simple mechanisms may seem adequate when a battery is brand new but i'd like to know what happens to that protection after the cell(s) have been abused REPETITIVELY, not to mention the possibility of manufacturing defects to occur occasionally without being detected, which might render the device more prone to incidents...

The best insurance against an incident when using a battery near the limits of its operating range may be to keep it away from our faces because chances are a stoner would risk to realize it way too late when there's real danger. What about localized "Hot Spots" building-up, for example? Etc. I'd think chances are a stoner will ignore warnings even if his battery IS showing signs of excessive stress after all, isn't it?... So, a whip sounds like a pretty good idea under the circumstances and some sturdy casing only make that better. Does the MLFB encase its battery with metal and allow consumers to use it at a good distance from their mouth???

Questions, more questions!...

:rolleyes:

Sometimes it's easier just to let the others do the testing! That way one can jump on the bandwagon with everyone else and comment on danger while enjoying the cozy comfort and security of their own lives - like i've done above...

:ninja:

Egzoset,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
Yeah! I thought about the whip, but whips stink, and a pain to carry around.

Poor dude, I can bet he most likely opted for the least expensive e-cig, like many of use would, especially if money is tight. It most likely was something made in China, but who is to say that can't happen to any device?

sessnet,
Top Bottom