Edibles and Passing Out

shortwind

On Saturday after a long day, I went to a party. I have chronic lung disease and have been tapering down prednisone for several months...basically a controlled withdrawal. I had had a bad breathing day and had been using my inhaled and nebulized medications multiple times that day. I also have chronic insomnia and, sometimes, after several days of inadequate sleep, my body will force me to sleep! Well, I took a bit more of an edible I make (an AVB firecracker without the chocolate) before hand. I was having a nice time talking to people and enjoying the edible experience (and I have done lots and lots of edibles, including this kind). I was on the couch drinking a glass of wine, my second, when apparently I passed out. Next thing I know my friends were rousing me telling me the paramedics were on the way. They claimed I was out for several minutes and hard to wake up. I did NOT tell anybody about the edible as I didn't want to complicate matters (though I am legal for medical use in my state, I am in the "closet" with many of my friends). Anyhow, after an ambulance ride to the ER, several EKGs and some IV fluids, the ER M.D.s conclusion was "syncope"...a fancy medical term for fainting. I saw my regular doctor Monday, also leaving out the "edible" part of the experience. He felt it was a "vasovagal" episode...essentially fainting. Now the amount of edible I consumed was NOT more than I have taken in the past. So I don't know if I had too much edible, or if my body just finally wanted to really really get some deep sleep, or the combo of the wine plus edible (I normally drink about one glass at a time, but certainly can handle two), or the prednisone withdrawal, or who the hell knows what else!? So, yeah there is question here, any thoughts on what could've happened or if the edible might've been the culprit? I normally vaporize in the late evenings to help me sleep...and for relaxation to combat all the stimulants I take for my lungs.
Thanks!

shortwind,

SD_haze

Fainting with weed never happens without other contributing factors.
I've fainted twice on a cannabis peak,

First time dehydration & anxiety played a major part, along with alcohol and standing up way too fast a few minutes before the faint.
Second I had had a 100F+ fever and had not smoked anything just like you, but had taken a half-gram hash edible.

So yes dosage is one of the culprits, just not the only one. And its actually more common than you might think. I know I had never heard of fainting before it happened to me.

The last time I remember this forum talking about fainting, a big handful of people had said it had happened to them at least once.

SD_haze,

luchiano

It sounds like your blood sugar dropped real low from the wine and cannabis together and that caused you to pass out. I assume you didn't anything rich in fat and complex carbohydrates before drinking and eating the edibles.

Next time just eat some nut or seeds with your edible and take a 250mg of vitamin C as this helps make sure you don't pass out like that.

luchiano,

SD_haze

It sounds like your blood sugar dropped real low from the wine and cannabis together and that caused you to pass out. I assume you didn't anything rich in fat and complex carbohydrates before drinking and eating the edibles.

Next time just eat some nut or seeds with your edible and take a 250mg of vitamin C as this helps make sure you don't pass out like that.
Yup...nowadays I'm that one guy who brings jerky & granola & water to a party :lol:

SD_haze,

shortwind

Hi. Thanks all for the feedback. The edible I ate was made with peanut butter and I was snacking on various nuts, chips, cheese, etc., etc. at the party. The hospital's blood test noted my blood sugar was UP. I am not diabetic, but when you are on lots of prednisone for long periods of time, you can become temporarily diabetic (I have had this happen in the hospital with IV solu-medrol...which is industrial strength version of prednisone). I will be having my blood sugar rechecked once I am totally off prednisone. So, the fainting/passing out remains an oddity...!

shortwind,

djonkoman

were you properly hydrated?

I had it once too, in my case I went to a friend's house after dinner, arrived there around 7, smoked a joint with 2 or 3 others, wich was finished around 11, I think around that time I drank 1 beer too. till 12 we were watching tv, and I noticed it was a heavy indica-effect, couchlocked and lethargic. I felt a bit off and thristy so I decided to get up to the bathroom and drink some water(the only thing I drank since arriving there was that 1 beer), just outside the door of the room I felt the dizzy feeling from standing up too quickly/low bloodpressure, but it got worse as usually, I leaned against the wall with my hand, then I got really desorientated and plumbed to the floor, just like all my muscles relaxed. I went back immediatly to assure my friends I was ok, at least it felt like that, according to them I was away for a few minutes.

so now I always have a bottle of water with me if there isn't a tap nearby

edit: reread you sentence when I realised you mention you used ABV, I once had brownies made with just abv, pretty strong too, and that also gave me a very lethargic high, similar but more extreme to the high before I fell to the ground that time. only that time I was better hydrated, and hadn't had any alcohol(as far as I remember)

djonkoman,

luchiano

Hi. Thanks all for the feedback. The edible I ate was made with peanut butter and I was snacking on various nuts, chips, cheese, etc., etc. at the party. The hospital's blood test noted my blood sugar was UP. I am not diabetic, but when you are on lots of prednisone for long periods of time, you can become temporarily diabetic (I have had this happen in the hospital with IV solu-medrol...which is industrial strength version of prednisone). I will be having my blood sugar rechecked once I am totally off prednisone. So, the fainting/passing out remains an oddity...!

Well it sounds like too much blood sugar which can cause fainting also but that is in people who have diabetes already or some type of sickness. I bet it has something to do with your blood sugar I'm just not sure in what way exactly.

Also, when you have something that effects your CNS strongly like cannabis and alcohol snacking isn't enough if you didn't eat a good amount of food before puffing and by that I mean fat and complex carbs like rice or something that doesn't digest fast like white bread, crackers or anything like that. Also eating a lot of protein(meat or seafood) doesn't count as "eating food" because it won't provide your body with enough energy to metabolize a strong cannabis or alcohol. You need fats and complex carbs as they provide constant energy. Remember it's not just eating those foods but eating enough of them and in the case of nuts and seeds at least 2-3 ounces is good which I doubt an edible will have. If you didn't eat enough earlier in the day you would really need to eat more food as your body will just use up the food you eat later instead of using it for energy if you didn't eat enough before puffing or eating edibles and a lot of alcohol or both together.

I see you are on Prednisone and it can cause high blood sugar later on in the day and this may have happened to you. You should do resistance draining and 10 minutes of cardio right after to train your body to soak up sugar. I have done this and notice a must better experience when eating carbs then when I didn't do it.

Check out this article on Prednisone:
http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10772&Itemid=8
Prednisolone-Induced Hyperglycemia Most Prominent Later in the Day

"This study demonstrates that approximately 50% of hospitalized patients with COPD without known diabetes treated with prednisolone record a glucose concentration of at least 200 mg/dl (11.1 mmol/liter)," the authors conclude. "Hyperglycemia predominantly occurs in the afternoon and evening. Screening for prednisolone-induced hyperglycemia should be directed at this time of the day, and any resulting treatment should also be focused on this interval."

http://journal.diabetes.org/clinicaldiabetes/v18n22000/pg88a.htm

This patient has had type 2 diabetes adequately controlled with diet for the past few years. Her blood glucose levels increased markedly with the addition of prednisone. The typical characteristics of hyperglycemia induced by corticosteroids include minimal effect on fasting blood glucose levels and an exaggeration in postprandial blood glucose elevations. The degree of elevation is correlated with previous glucose tolerance. Patients with pre-existing diabetes can have profound increases in blood glucose.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3538844
Abstract

Many adjuvant chemotherapy regimens used for breast cancer include prednisone, which has the potential to cause hyperglycemia. We reviewed the results of three CALGB studies employing prednisone as part of adjuvant therapy to determine the incidence and severity of hyperglycemic complications. All treatment regimens included cyclophosphamide, methotrexate or doxorubicin, 5-fluorouracil, and vincristine in addition to prednisone. Among 1,237 evaluable patients receiving a five-drug regimen including prednisone, there were 98 patients (7.9%) who experienced any degree of hyperglycemia. Thirty patients (2.4% overall; 30.6% of those having any hyperglycemia) had severe or life-threatening degrees of hyperglycemia, including two patients whose hyperglycemia contributed directly to death. We conclude that prednisone administration as part of adjuvant chemotherapy regimens in breast cancer produces an appreciable incidence of hyperglycemia. Serum glucose levels should be monitored during therapy to help prevent the occasional severe or life-threatening episode of hyperglycemia in these patients.

luchiano,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
It was a drop in blood pressure. I've felt this before from ABV, actually.

Some months back, I had the brilliant idea of mixing my ABV into some all-natural peanut butter.... ratio ended up being such that 1 tablespoon was approximately 1 gram of ABV. Decided it was a good idea one night to have, not one, but TWO tablespoons of it, wash it down with some hot tea, and vape a trench or two on top while I waited.

I remember it. I was playing Skyrim on my 360, trying to find a guy in a dungeon. I was a bit confused about it, running around in circles. I realized my mouth was rather dry. Finally, I find the guy, and he tells me we have to get out of the dungeon blah blah something something is gonna kill us. So I have to take this guy out... except I don't remember how I got in. I spent 15 minutes running in circles until somehow I made it out.

It was at, or around that time, that I realized that my forehead felt very hot. I felt a little bit of sweat, actually. Pretty odd as I was shirtless and it was cold in my room. And then I felt the edible kick in. It felt like a two inch wave flowing slowly from my head to my feet. And again. And again. Stronger and stronger. I saw my vision slooowly starting to fade, kinda like a headrush. I realized what was happening, turned my 360 and TV off, and jumped into bed. Put on some Massive Attack and laid there, bracing.

I don't remember much, I guess I fell asleep about two minutes later, and woke up 10 hours later STILL stoned as hell. Went to get breakfast with my momma, ran errands, got back home still feeling it. It hit me at around 10pm one night and carried over until past 2pm the following day.

I think it was just too much at once and my brain pooped itself. That might be what happened to you? I've explained this to my friends and they've had it before too with edibles and some with smoking.

Quetzalcoatl,
Top Bottom