Easy battery-powered dab pen for rosin?

buzzy funny

Long-time flower vaper looking to dip my toe (or tool?) into dabbing and interested in a relatively affordable, simple, electric dab pen for rosin (and also resin). Flavor more important than big clouds. Terp Pen and Lightning Pen look like good options. If I like it I'm considering pressing my own rosin in the future but want to get a feel for it first. Curious to know what people recommend. Thanks.

buzzy funny,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

Madtater

Only one i have is a puffco plus.

I like it. The spoon in the cap is a nice little thing. The only complaint i have is that it gets warm if doing more than one heat up sesh in a row.

I know that device isnt too popular here on the forums and there are certainly cheaper options out there, but i do not have any experience with other stuff

buzzy funny

Only one i have is a puffco plus.

I like it. The spoon in the cap is a nice little thing. The only complaint i have is that it gets warm if doing more than one heat up sesh in a row.

I know that device isnt too popular here on the forums and there are certainly cheaper options out there, but i do not have any experience with other stuff
Do you like it for rosin? I've read that it gets messy and hard to clean.

buzzy funny,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

Madtater

Do you like it for rosin? I've read that it gets messy and hard to clean.
I wouldnt say it is “hard to clean”, but it does take a bit more effort.

I dont do too many dabs portable like, i use my peak pro mostly, but as long as you hold it upright while hitting it, it is fine. It doesnt take too kindly to holding it out straight like a vape pen. It gets messy if you do that. But if you hold it and hit it upright (like someone playing a clarinet), it is fine and not messy at all.

Takes some getting used to, but it isnt too bad.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
The Lightning Pen is certainly a lot more affordable than a Peak Pro, and that was one of your prerequisites, no?
If you don’t like it, you aren’t risking a lot of money. Good luck!

buzzy funny

The lightning pen is pretty nice but can get messy if you draw too fast or fill too much. It's a proper heated cup so none of those coils I hear people complain about being hard to maintain. The cup is tiny though and easy to overfill.
Thank you - this is good to know.

I wouldnt say it is “hard to clean”, but it does take a bit more effort.

I dont do too many dabs portable like, i use my peak pro mostly, but as long as you hold it upright while hitting it, it is fine. It doesnt take too kindly to holding it out straight like a vape pen. It gets messy if you do that. But if you hold it and hit it upright (like someone playing a clarinet), it is fine and not messy at all.

Takes some getting used to, but it isnt too bad.
Thanks so much for detailed reply. If money was no object, I'd get the Peak Pro. But since I want to see how I like dabs before making an investment like that, I'm looking for a cheaper entry point. The Plus is definitely on the list!

florduh

I'd say try and grab a Proxy on sale. Or try and grab a used one on the classifieds or entexchange:

Divine Tribe did put out a bigger version of the Lightning atomizer that should have less overflow issues:

They're making a battery at some point for it but for now you'd need your own mod.

popitup

After using a puffco plus for about 6 months, I've come to the conclusion that it's overpriced trash and not worth the trouble. I literally threw mine away.

I'm much happier with a dtv5. If you want discrete, the lightning pen is a mini version of that.

Last edited:

buzzy funny

The Lightning Pen is certainly a lot more affordable than a Peak Pro, and that was one of your prerequisites, no?
If you don’t like it, you aren’t risking a lot of money. Good luck!
Thanks. Yes, I want to see how I like the dab experience before investing in a Peak Pro. That would be the next step if I try out a more affordable option and like it.
I'd say try and grab a Proxy on sale. Or try and grab a used one on the classifieds or entexchange:

Divine Tribe did put out a bigger version of the Lightning atomizer that should have less overflow issues:

They're making a battery at some point for it but for now you'd need your own mod.
Thanks! I was looking for something simple rather than a battery mod, just to try out. I'll see if I can find a cheap Proxy - thanks.

After using a puffco plus for about 6 months, I've come to the conclusion that it's overpriced trash and not worth the trouble. I literally threw mine away.

I'm much happier with a dtv5. If you want discrete, the lightning pen is a mini version of that.
Wow - that's a strong indictment of the Plus! I'm trying to keep it cheap and simple for this and would rather avoid a battery mod.

Jojofernz

Wow - that's a string indictment of the Plus! I'm trying to keep it cheap and simple for this and would rather avoid a battery mod.
As a previous user of the puffco plus, I would also have to agree it is trash, especially for the price. I had a $25 yocan evolve that worked just as well if not better than the plus.

Haven’t tried the lightning pen myself but know plenty who have and really love it for the price so I would also suggest looking at that one.

popitup

I can't speak to the quality of the puffco peak because I haven't owned one, but the company has lost me as a customer.

What you don't see yet is the HIDDEN cost of owning a puffco plus. It's a proprietary design, with proprietary parts that are a higher tax for keeping your device working.

You'll definitely need another chamber at some point, $25. If you lose the charging cable that you can't use with anything else, $8. Need a new battery that only works with the puffco plus? $50.

Meanwhile I broke a part of my dtv5 chamber, and it was less money for me to fix with a common part. Hell, I even ended up getting more modular pieces for my setup, again cheap.

The puffco was slick when it was working, if you don't overfill it, or tip it over while it's hot, and you clean it regularly, and you never fire it too many times back-to-back and your concentrate never leaks out of the chamber. But realize that like most vapes and vape parts, it has an expiration. With heavy use, or "misuse", it expires quickly.

Last edited:

Madtater

Thank you - this is good to know.

Thanks so much for detailed reply. If money was no object, I'd get the Peak Pro. But since I want to see how I like dabs before making an investment like that, I'm looking for a cheaper entry point. The Plus is definitely on the list!
Ya, i wasnt telling you about the peak pro, just saying that’s what i use.

The peak pro is definitely expensive. Rusty is right about the lightning pen. I would start there.

If i had to do it all over again, i probably wouldnt have gotten the plus, and gone with something cheaper.

buzzy funny

I can't speak to the quality of the puffco peak because I haven't owned one, but the company has lost me as a customer.

What you don't see yet is the HIDDEN cost of owning a puffco plus. It's a proprietary design, with proprietary parts that are a higher tax for keeping your device working.

You'll definitely need another chamber at some point, $25. If you lose the charging cable that you can't use with anything else, $8. Need a new battery that only works with the puffco plus? $50.

Meanwhile I broke a part of my dtv5 chamber, and it was less money for me to fix with a common part. Hell, I even ended up getting more modular pieces for my setup, again cheap.

The puffco was slick when it was working, if you don't overfill it, or tip it over while it's hot, and you clean it regularly, and you never fire it too many times back-to-back and your concentrate never leaks out of the chamber. But realize that like most vapes and vape parts, it has an expiration. With heavy use, or "misuse", it expires quickly.
Thank you - this is good info to know!

No love for the Terp Pen on this thread? I read some good things and at $30 I wouldn't mind if it didn't last.

davesmith

Glass Blower
the puffco plus is overpriced imo too. Not ever had a dab pen ive got one with so will follow this thread. Id say if its your first experience with rosin maybe consider a cheap china rig or something too. So you dont write off concentrates because of janky pens.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
No love for the Terp Pen on this thread? I read some good things and at $30 I wouldn't mind if it didn't last.
Hey @buzzy funny,
I love my terp pen, and I'm talking about the OG model not the xl. It is a great device when you need to have a fast hit. It is not all about flavor but it isn't terrible unless you let it run dry. The terp pen is based on old style coil tech, which is fine for discrete hits on the go, but not as a daily driver imho. Also, since you can't really clean a cup out and have to burn the coil clean, this becomes a bit of a mess when you plan to use flower rosin, which has more waxy residue than hash rosin or most bho products.

The lightening pen is better for cleaning out reclaim and hits very well. For me, even the lowest setting is too hot unless I pair it with some glass to extend the airpath. It's fun to tinker with, but still not a daily driver for me.

For a good daily experience, I'm not sure what parameters you are looking for. If the peak sounds good to you but too pricey, I would suggest a Core 2 from Divine Tribe's website. You get the V5 ceramic cup without the mod experience. I prefer the ease of use, but give up the ability to choose your temps to the degree. The Core 2 has 4 heat settings.

I use one every day. Easy to use, easy to clean and gives great hits at a fraction the cost of the Peak pro and quite a bit less than a proxy. The proxy continuously heats your dab during the sesh. With the Core 2 you can have a more on demand experience by riding the button as long as you want. It has been my go-to erig for concentrates for quite a while. For more money, you can choose a fancy bubbler too or just use the standard. My :2c:

Also, here's a good review:

Last edited:

davesmith

Glass Blower
I should probably add i use my proxy a lot. Its not a pen and damn they arent cheap but im pretty happy with mine for when i cant get a real dab

Looking at the lightning pen they look good. Ill probs grab one so thanks people!

popitup

I don't have any personal experience with the Core 2, but I've heard good things, and obviously I believe in this brand. A little warning, 2.1 is not rebuildable.

Also, when I first looked into all of this, it was overwhelming. I had no idea how things worked or went together, and I mention this because it might not be obvious, but you can setup the dtv5 with a bottomless banger and attach it to a water pipe. I owned the dtv5 for months before realizing this, but it shows you some benefits to this more open ecosystem.

So in addition to having something I can pocket and hit dry, I can hook it up into more complex setups. Also, I like using the silicone tip with the TM2 3DXL stem.

Last edited:

buzzy funny

Hey @buzzy funny,
I love my terp pen, and I'm talking about the OG model not the xl. It is a great device when you need to have a fast hit. It is not all about flavor but it isn't terrible unless you let it run dry. The terp pen is based on old style coil tech, which is fine for discrete hits on the go, but not as a daily driver imho. Also, since you can't really clean a cup out and have to burn the coil clean, this becomes a bit of a mess when you plan to use flower rosin, which has more waxy residue than hash rosin or most bho products.

The lightening pen is better for cleaning out reclaim and hits very well. For me, even the lowest setting is too hot unless I pair it with some glass to extend the airpath. It's fun to tinker with, but still not a daily driver for me.

For a good daily experience, I'm not sure what parameters you are looking for. If the peak sounds good to you but too pricey, I would suggest a Core 2 from Divine Tribe's website. You get the V5 ceramic cup without the mod experience. I prefer the ease of use, but give up the ability to choose your temps to the degree. The Core 2 has 4 heat settings.

I use one every day. Easy to use, easy to clean and gives great hits at a fraction the cost of the Peak pro and quite a bit less than a proxy. The proxy continuously heats your dab during the sesh. With the Core 2 you can have a more on demand experience by riding the button as long as you want. It has been my go-to erig for concentrates for quite a while. For more money, you can choose a fancy bubbler too or just use the standard. My :2c:

Also, here's a good review:
Thank you so much for this. Although a little more than I initially planned on spending, this looks like exactly what I need.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
Thank you!! Just ordered. Folks like you are why I come here.
They are a great option. I don't even have the Core 2 yet. My OG Core is still going. I upgraded it with the V5 cup and basically turned it into a Core 2 with some other accessories. When it finally goes, I'll pick up a 2. Matt at DV has great customer service, and they have an ongoing reddit going where people share ideas on the Core and other DT devices. Matt didn't create the Core, but I believe he was involved in the update to the 2nd gen with the V5 included.
You'll need to find which temp setting works best for you. Have fun experimenting!

Top Bottom