Double Brew or Twice Cooked Cannabis Infused Coconut Oil

JRR22611

I recently made a batch of cannabis infused coconut oil, the ratio being 55g of flower to 475ml of coconut oil.
It turned out not nearly as potent as I'd hoped, so I want to cook a few grams of dark indica oil extract (maybe even a few grams of shatter if I'm feeling cocky) into the previously infused coconut oil.
Keeping in mind I cook at a precise temp. of 160 degrees F, Can anyone speculate if the act of "double brewing" or cooking twice could denature the potency of the flower leaving me with an undesirable end product? Could this affect the flavour?
I will greatly appreciate all feedback/insight for this matter.
Thank you FC Community.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
You could decarboxylate the concentrate separately to turn the THC-A into THC , and then combine.

Last edited:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Cannabis needs to be decarbed so that the THC becomes activated. In smoking or vaping, it automatically decarbs when heat is applied.

http://www.marijuanagrowershq.com/decarboxylating-cannabis-turning-thca-into-thc/

If you didn't decarb your cannabis, that's the reason your oil is weak. You could heat your oil to 240 F for 30 min to decarb.

I put concentrate and 5 grams or so of coconut oil in the oven in an aluminum foil-covered dish on a pie tin in a 240 F oven for 30-40 minutes to decarb.

Last edited:
macbill,
Reactions: JRR22611

JRR22611

The magical budder is an awesome machine (what I used) which decarbs the THC; I think my question is "will I get good results if I decarb more oil into previously decarbed flower coconut oil."
Thanks for the links guys

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
At some point, the fat will not absorb more THC from stewing cannabis. I don't know where that point is. For me, the best way to bump up the fat I'm using in cooking is with decarbed concentrate. It improved my ginger snaps remarkably.

killick

But I like it!
I decarb before using the MB. I process in the MB on lower temps to preserve the taste.

killick,

west-elec

At some point, the fat will not absorb more THC from stewing cannabis. I don't know where that point is. For me, the best way to bump up the fat I'm using in cooking is with decarbed concentrate. It improved my ginger snaps remarkably.
Saw this old post, but question never really answered, except for @macbill but at what point does the oil stop absorbing more the?
I was thinking of using already infused oil on a freshly decarbed batch to try to double potency. I don't want to have to do an extract first, then mix through so thought that would be a good way to increase strength with little effort.
Anyone tried a double brew?
Edit: Found an article by Ardent, yes you can boost the infusion, slight losses second time through (plus some lost oil not mentioned in article). Worth a go for low fat recipes with less oil added.
https://ardentcannabis.com/blog/what-is-infusion-boosting/?afmc=j4&utm_campaign=j4&utm_source=lead

Last edited:
west-elec,
Reactions: shredder

shredder

Saw this old post, but question never really answered, except for @macbill but at what point does the oil stop absorbing more the?
I was thinking of using already infused oil on a freshly decarbed batch to try to double potency. I don't want to have to do an extract first, then mix through so thought that would be a good way to increase strength with little effort.
Anyone tried a double brew?
Edit: Found an article by Ardent, yes you can boost the infusion, slight losses second time through (plus some lost oil not mentioned in article). Worth a go for low fat recipes with less oil added.
https://ardentcannabis.com/blog/what-is-infusion-boosting/?afmc=j4&utm_campaign=j4&utm_source=lead

Ive doubled infusions using oil before, but I don't have any data from that. Well other than it sure seemed stronger for anecdotal evidence. And I double decarbed buds to get cbn for a sleep type coconut oil capsule.

More often I use alcohol to strip buds and pressed rosin pucks, and I reuse the alcohol until it gets pretty dark from resins before I make concentrate out of it. Again though I didn't test and I don't know the saturation point of alcohol. But you can get a lot of oil in alcohol.

But after a while using both alcohol and oil the efficiency of the extraction would seem to suffer.

shredder,
Reactions: west-elec
Top Bottom