Dont know how to make things.

I want to make my own vaporizers because I want to blast off to new levels. I have a bong that I rip but the effects are diminishing and I dont want to smoke less even though its ruining my teeth. I just discovered dry herb vaping a week ago and im waiting for my extreme q to arrive. I spent $105 on the Q. The vapes with higher heat and more weed capacity cost lots of money for some really unexciting and simple designs.

So my first idea was to find a way to attach a volcano/plenty herb chamber to my Q so I could get that huge wide/flat chamber ripping from the Q heater. Then I realized that I might be able to create an air heater and herb chamber with relative ease that could accommodate my needs.

So I am asking for help with information resources. My plan is to take a chamber, run metal air tubes though it, and blast the tubes with fire to heat the air inside and use the air to heat a herb chamber. I want to create an herb chamber based on the volcano/plenty wide/flat design that screws into place.

I'm asking for anyone who might know of things that would make good parts in this creation. I was going to construct it like the condenser of an alcohol still. Copper tubing running though a container to conduct heat through the air. The only difference is that the condenser cools the air with water and ill just use fire to heat it.

west-elec

Check out the elev8r from 7th floor vapes. Similar to your idea in a way. Glass is a better material than 'metal' for flavour of vapour. If you do use metal I understand stainless steel or titanium are the safest. I don't think copper is safe to be heating and inhaling, especially the solder used. Bad idea, be very careful with materials.
You will find using flame as a heat source will require an 'on/off' heating technique and a high level of involvement from the operator to get a consistent temperature and avoid unintentional combustion.
Good luck with the tinkering...

Check out the elev8r from 7th floor vapes.
I have, it is a cool idea, but I would prefer a heater in the style of a volcano or Q. I like a box heater with a chamber that attaches to the top. The volcano is a good design, but I want the ability to add additional herb chambers and customize the setup.
Glass is a better material than 'metal' for flavour of vapour.
Glass is hard to make pieces with. Id only use it in an aesthetic way. Like a glass herb chamber to see your weed as it heats and produces vapor.
If you do use metal I understand stainless steel or titanium are the safest. I don't think copper is safe to be heating and inhaling, especially the solder used. Bad idea, be very careful with materials.
I dont plan to use solder because of the high heat. If I did, it would be nontoxic anyway. The tubing id get would be the kind rated safe for humans to drink hot water from or breath hot air from. If I tried to get parts for an air heater that used steel, it might not be safe because id use something made for a different purpose. Id love to work with people who could actually make parts, but im limited to just fitting things together right now.
You will find using flame as a heat source will require an 'on/off' heating technique and a high level of involvement from the operator to get a consistent temperature and avoid unintentional combustion.
I like fire. For me, lighting a propane grill is euphoric. I like weed because I like heat and gas and fire. It is art to me. I want others to experience weed not just for the chemical high you get, but for the art of extracting a chemical and dispensing it. Weed vaping should be like chemistry class.

I would just wait till your shit arrives and keep ripping the bong.
Im going to take the plastic cover off my Q and try to rig custom herb chambers to the top in place of the small factory one.

For reference, vapors hate aluminum, copper, and brass. Favored are stainless steel, titanium and glass. Wood is a sort of Sunday mass material.
I love all metals, especially bronze, I might even cast bronze parts as well as aluminum, tin, copper, and other soft metals. I cannot make glass parts and dont know anyone who can. I could bang iron into basic shapes but thats about it. Wood is great for aesthetics and for heat shielding. Its also easy to work with and can withstand heat.

Im planning in just using 90% reused parts diy style because I have no tools to build parts for prototyping.

SteampunkExtreme,
  • Wow
Reactions: arb

TommyDee

Vaporitor
LOL Of course, resources are resources. I meant in a vape path, people start getting particular about metals that poison us to some extent when their temperature is elevated into a vape zone or sometimes well beyond. Woods can leach toxins if not of the right species or environ. Alloys are of course suspect for their constituent parts like lead in brass.

Did we not use to stuff the aluminum bowl and the brass lamp parts with buds for decades? Yea, we did. I appreciate the effort of the community to help others understand what they are in fact subjecting themselves to. I have a shout out about carbon fiber stems being full of low temp resins. Do they listen? "CF is too cool to be a problem!" I don't get it either but there it is.

LOL Of course, resources are resources. I meant in a vape path, people start getting particular about metals that poison us to some extent when their temperature is elevated into a vape zone or sometimes well beyond. Woods can leach toxins if not of the right species or environ. Alloys are of course suspect for their constituent parts like lead in brass.

Did we not use to stuff the aluminum bowl and the brass lamp parts with buds for decades? Yea, we did. I appreciate the effort of the community to help others understand what they are in fact subjecting themselves to. I have a shout out about carbon fiber stems being full of low temp resins. Do they listen? "CF is too cool to be a problem!" I don't get it either but there it
I have no reason to think copper is unsafe. The reason I want to make my own is mostly to avoid the toxic chems that come from plastics and electronics. Im scared of circuit boards and plastic leaching chem into the air around it even at room temp. Most people's fears are not practical i think. If I cant see the inside and understand where the air is going im scared. Look at the airpath in the mighty or volcano or anything, its loaded with plastic and crap. I dont think it would effect the flavor very much but its unsettling.

SteampunkExtreme,
Reactions: TommyDee

arb

Semi shaved ape
I have no reason to think copper is unsafe. The reason I want to make my own is mostly to avoid the toxic chems that come from plastics and electronics. Im scared of circuit boards and plastic leaching chem into the air around it even at room temp. Most people's fears are not practical i think. If I cant see the inside and understand where the air is going im scared. Look at the airpath in the mighty or volcano or anything, its loaded with plastic and crap. I dont think it would effect the flavor very much but its unsettling.
Metal fume fever just to start from copper.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Many of us here are either artisans or would like to be when they start choosing elements for their creations. In this space, people buy what they know.

I agree on plastics. Plastics off-gas at insanely low temps. There are some properly rated but also few and far between.

TommyDee,
Metal fume fever just to start from copper.
Thanks. Really happy I didnt find that out the hard way. So if i cant use copper then........... crap what can i use? I want a good heat output. My arizer probably will meet my needs but id rather use my own heating unit. I know I can make an electic one using things like heat guns and soldering irons, but I have never done any work with electicity at all. I have never even soldered (though I have lots of tools including soldering sets). I guess ill end up having to learn all that stuff.

I made a vaporizer using conduction to roast the herb and collect the vape in a bag. It was powered by corn oil. It worked as good as my handheld vape does. My handheld is the K-vape pro. It is shite and does not get me the least bit high. But I smoke over 3 grams a day in my bong. My gums are eroding so I bought an extreme q hoping it would let me get as high as my bong without so much tar. My q isnt here yet. But my k vape and my homemade were trash so I think im going to need a lot more power. Probably more than the q for me. And I want to make a conduction vape but I was like "How the fuck do I heat the air?" Then I remembered the condenser of a still and how it took heat from gas and thought about reversing it. Apparently, that causes sickness so idk im lost again now.

SteampunkExtreme,
  • Wow

Hippie

Not sure if you've seen DDavemods mods for the EQ, I think you've almost described one of his MegAdapters.
I think his mods are worth the money altho there are loads of glass adapters you can use to do a similar job if you don't mind a bit of trial and error hunting them down and testing them out like DDave has to build up his selection.
A Ti or SS tube like a Stempod body with an 18mm female joint on either end would work too (as would a StemPod body and a big ole o ring lol)
Going any wider will require something to diffuse the heat btw otherwise the hot air will just pass through the centre of the chamber at the same diameter it came out of the heater and leave the herb at the edges of the bowl undercooked.

The main reason I wanted to use copper is so that i can really put tons of coils in to conduct heat. I guess now ill just use one for cheapness. https://www.amazon.com/HomeBrewStuff-Stainless-Steel-Tubing-Coil/dp/B00420V094

I think ill use hot charcoal instead of propane as it could provide more cheaper heat to the coil. Thoughts?

This but with charcoal in it as a heating element. Thoughts?

Not sure if you've seen DDavemods mods for the EQ, I think you've almost described one of his MegAdapters.
I think his mods are worth the money altho there are loads of glass adapters you can use to do a similar job if you don't mind a bit of trial and error hunting them down and testing them out like DDave has to build up his selection.
A Ti or SS tube like a Stempod body with an 18mm female joint on either end would work too (as would a StemPod body and a big ole o ring lol)
Going any wider will require something to diffuse the heat btw otherwise the hot air will just pass through the centre of the chamber at the same diameter it came out of the heater and leave the herb at the edges of the bowl undercooked.
Thanks for showing me that. Looks like everything is out of stock but if he gets stock ill probably buy one. I want to build something to spread the heat though so I can use a wider chamber. I was just going to see if i could cut up a beer can and stick a bit of aluminum somewhere.

SteampunkExtreme,
Don't forget about the polymer :rolleyes:
We live in a dangerous world. Im ok with living on the edge. I have been smoking out of contraptions built from duct tape, water bottles, beer cans, aluminum foil and garbage for years and im only half retarded. I would never try to market that to others. Im ok with building janky prototypes to test concept on myself. My last vape gave off fumes from everywhere. But now that im trying to build a convection vape, ill need to change the way I do things to be a little more advanced. I was thinking: Paint can with stainless tubing inside. Full of burning charcoal.

SteampunkExtreme,
Reactions: TommyDee

west-elec

When you get your extreme q, give it a little time if you aren't fully satisfied with the first few times. Coming from a big ripping bong you might find the q a little slow. It will take several hits to clear a load that would go through the bong in one hit. Putting a bigger bowl on the q would overload the heater that is designed for narrower path. You would get weaker vapour not stronger. There are different ways to pack and mods like @Hippie mentioned to get bigger hits.
Your DIY model needs some thought and research on materials, I reckon you would be better off looking into the butane vape options as you start getting into vaping. They will provide bigger hits that might be more satisfying and combine your love of fire. Sticky brick and vapcap would be good places to start.
From your posts I can tell you will have a lot of fun in this space if you get over the differences from smoking.

nopapers_justvapors

I'm with the ones saying you just need to wait for your vape and try it out. Can't imagine you NOT getting high from vaping coming off smoking, especially on a desktop vape. Smoking literally burns most of your herb, causing it to be lost, whereas vaping allows you to use all of the THC within, getting you higher! If you really are a heavy smoker, just fill the bowl all the way (almost is bettter) or vape more than one. Vaping will save you herb! 😉

Last edited:
Nah m8. I dont need to "save muh herb", I need to smoke MORE. Lots more and my little vape takes forever to do that. That's why I need to build a f-ing supervape. Ill vape an ounce in one draw.

nopapers_justvapors

I understand that 'm8', what I meant was you can vape more from the same amount of herb compared to smoking, so in the end you save some. Do whatever you like, I just get the feeling you have no idea how much herb goes into a desktop vape compared to a portable one. More herb = more vapor = get higher. So maybe instead of wanting to modify a brand new desktop you are not familiar with, it would be better to just use it 'as is' and you might find that it meets your needs just fine.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
While I applaud your enthusiasm and desire to diy you need to learn about vaping a bit before you spend too much money prototyping. Don't let this stifle your thoughts, just know they will change drastically as you learn more.

The q is a perfect teaching vape imo, so in that respect you've made a great choice. It is however not the fastest extractor, especially if you follow airisers instructions! Read the last 20 or so pages of the extreme q thread, there's alot of information in that thread and it will help you achieve the best performance. Also the ddave mods are well worth the money, get the complete kit, you'll end up using it for 80% of your collection when you get one going.

Let me also say, grab an elev8r if you like fire. It's cheap as chips, hits really hard, and tastes great. If you're a heavy bong smoker, this is probably the vape to help you quit combustion, the ritual is very similar. It has a large bowl too!

All the vapes out there look terrible to me. Vaping isnt nearly as strong as smoking so you need to make a huge chamber to feel anything. You guys have low tolerance.

elev8r and that type are too small!

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Please use the edit button m8!

Obviously this is more up your street

OG-Verdamper.jpg

Top Bottom