Does MJ Help With Sleep

Madtater

I have quit drinking almost completely (save for family functions or special occasions). And as far as my experience, i never slept well when drinking. I fell asleep fast, but never slept for long.

Since i picked up cannabis again, i started out hitting the GMO before bed instead of reaching for the ambien. I sleep MUCH better with the GMO than ambien. More sound and uninterrupted more.

I take little faith from “studies” and go off of my own experiences.

cptofnthng

After twenty years of daily weed i quit cold turkey a while ago, started meditating with vipassana and sleep was never easier or better after. It takes but 5 minutes now. It was for me a total Illusion overall that weed helps sleeping. It disturbs REM sleep, you need more sleep overall and wake up with weed hangover.

Last edited:

Petrolhead

if I have many days of abstinence from use, the 1st night keeps me awake until late. If there is daily use, I immediately fall asleep with beautiful dreams

Petrolhead,
Reactions: Bologna

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
I have a sleep disorder. I think I've had it all of my adult life but only diagnosed about 15 years ago. I was always late to bed, then, after pressure from my wife at the time, I gave up weed. This exactly coincided with my bedtime getting later and later as I struggled to sleep. 3 months on I was going to bed at 3am rather than my old normal of 12.30. I have never been able to reliably get that bedtime back to where it once was when I was unknowingly self medicating! Needless to say starting smoking again helped dramatically even if it's not a panacea.

coolbreeze

I have a sleep disorder. I think I've had it all of my adult life but only diagnosed about 15 years ago. I was always late to bed, then, after pressure from my wife at the time, I gave up weed. This exactly coincided with my bedtime getting later and later as I struggled to sleep. 3 months on I was going to bed at 3am rather than my old normal of 12.30. I have never been able to reliably get that bedtime back to where it once was when I was unknowingly self medicating! Needless to say starting smoking again helped dramatically even if it's not a panacea.
Sounds a lot like me. I am a born and bred night owl and I have a sleep disorder on top, so I never get to bed at a 'decent' hour. Whether I smoke or not, I can usually get right to sleep, I just can't stay asleep. But I need to be sleepy enough first, and I think weed help there, getting me to bed before the cock crows. I generally don't remember dreaming so I assume I'm missing or having reduced REM, and it wouldn't surprise me if my alertness takes a major hit (but I suppose that's obvious). Times when I've taken breaks I don't really see a huge difference other than remembering dreaming occasionally. My judgement is i'm fucked either way, or, it doesn't add up to a big enough difference to make or break my situation.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
My judgement is i'm fucked either way,
This is exactly it. And it's about much more than whether I've imbibed or not. For me, sometimes everything I try is futile, then I know I'm in for a crappy day tomorrow. This seems to happen in waves. I go through a few days or weeks sleeping pretty well through the night, and others where I'm lucky to get one or two hour long sleeps in an evening.

I recently bought myself some soundcore sleep ear buds and they seem to be helping me remain asleep, or help me get back to sleep quickly, more often.

coolbreeze

This is exactly it. And it's about much more than whether I've imbibed or not. For me, sometimes everything I try is futile, then I know I'm in for a crappy day tomorrow. This seems to happen in waves. I go through a few days or weeks sleeping pretty well through the night, and others where I'm lucky to get one or two hour long sleeps in an evening.
Waves, yes. Mine usually stretch over days or even a week or two and gets pretty dicey at times. And yes, a few hours per night is sometimes the best I can do.
I recently bought myself some soundcore sleep ear buds and they seem to be helping me remain asleep, or help me get back to sleep quickly, more often.
I use drugstore ones sometimes--it's so noisy in the city--and they help but I think you've hit on the thing for me, which is that when I'm sleeping well, nothing intrudes; when I'm not, every little thing bothers me. I usually sleep better if we're in the woods. I will look those up and give them a try.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Well it seems to be a rather valid fact and not a subjective claim. But like i said, it took twenty years for me to realize this and experience it, so it will probably take a while for you too.
Never the less i can recommend meditating to fall asleep.
Whatever, dude (didn't click the link), apparently there are quite a few people here (and others that I know elsewhere) that don't share your issues... and there are others that do.

I've been using cannabis for over 40 years, so I think I'm qualified to speak for myself, at very least...

Guess I'm just glad I'm not, nor do I want to be, lumped in with others that can't handle it.

Edit: Our whole family tried meditation back in the late 70s - early 80s, that never did anything for me either, but I am glad it and abstinence has helped you.

Last edited:

BeltedCoyote

Foggin up the woods
Going to have to join team sleeping better with cannabis.

Turns out I have moderate bordering severe sleep apnea. So bad I've had a couple seizures while sleeping. Another side effect of the apnea is having a hard time getting comfortable. also waking up randomly in the middle of the nigh and not being able to get back to sleep.

I've had given up cannabis for a few years but immediately noticed I don't have nearly the amount of issues getting comfortable once I began vaping cannabis again. I have not noticed that much of a difference with the waking up bit.

That said I have a cpap coming my way in the coming weeks so between it and my favorite plant I should be good

BeltedCoyote,
Reactions: coolbreeze

Madtater

I read this today (i have been a bit behind on my HT subscription)

Since it has bearing on this thread, i figure i would leave this here for some light reading.

That being said. I still will refer to my original statement. Everyone is different. What works for me and is my preference may not work for soemone else.

And i take these studies with a grain of salt and trust my own experiences more.

vapefritz

Well it seems to be a rather valid fact and not a subjective claim.
Did you actually read that?
To determine if recently abstinent, heavy marijuana (MJ) users show differences in polysomnographic (PSG) measures compared with a drug-free control group.
[...]
During discontinuation of heavy MJ use, PSG measures of sleep disturbance were detected in MJ users compared with a drug-free control group.
What this study is saying is: If you are a heavy mj user and quit cold turkey, you will have problems sleeping the next two nights. Literally that and nothing else.

cptofnthng

Youre welcome to make your own inquiries. For me its crystal clear that cannabis worsens sleep quality overall. I dont dream when stoned, hence REM sleep seems affected. Im not talking about withdrawal symptoms or the ability to sleep in general.

cptofnthng,

CANtalk

What everyone is seeing here is a combination of cannabis experiences :nod:, let me explain.

OP, cannabis is generally known to impair REM sleep so it typically causes a disruption in deep sleep. However high dose THC can lead to people falling asleep. So cannabis can help people fall asleep but it's a worse sleep.

Impaired REM sleep has been studied a lot as other things also cause it, and they've also found there's REM rebound in sleep when the cause is removed.

This is neuronal stuff, so it takes ~4 weeks to reset the body (with a complete break). Any less than a complete break will take longer than 4 weeks to reset.

Also note that significant users of cannabis / THC will develop a tolerance to it (e.g. daily), and that will lessen REM sleep impairment. This is the human body adjusting to the cannabis / THC exposure & adjusting itself to compensate (receptor down regulation) and move to a more typical homeostatic body regulation. There still will be REM sleep impairment but it won't be noticeable to most significant users until they take a 4 week or so cannabis / THC break. Low tolerance cannabis / THC users have significant REM sleep impairment & easily identify it. I'm a microdoser who only vapes a few times on weekends & I get big swings in REM sleep. I can green out as well if I'm not careful, so cannabis has helped me go to sleep as well :razz:.

Even more to add, there's also the known phenomenon of variable population level responses (standard normal curve stuff). What that means is that some people are more naturally susceptible to cannabis / THC, while some are not as naturally susceptible to it. This means that some people will have less REM impairment than most others, while some others will have more REM impairment than most others.

With everything described all going on out there, it's surprising to see& a range of experiences within the realm of REM impairment & sleep quality w/ cannabis.

Hope that helps.

HAF so sorry for any spelling / grammar issues :razz:

:peace: :leaf:

CANtalk

Hey, thx for the patience ya'll! :)

Lots of awkward grammar in my last post, sorry as I was haf w/ the vape after a weekly break :science: :razz:. It's too much work to fix everything & I think it still generally makes good sense, but will fix this obvious mistake

With everything described all going on out there, it's NOT surprising to see a range of experiences with REM impairment & sleep quality w/ cannabis.
Everyone is different, reacts differently & has different exposure amounts / patterns with cannabis.

Vape on & have a great weekend

:peace: :leaf:

Last edited:

Dankvinci

I belive in the science, and over all, I definitely think it disturbs perfect sleep. But, The way I use it is so I don't dream. I Have
PTSD and I don't like to dream. Cannabis blocks all dreams for me personally.

Radwin Bodnic

It's not the first time that my experience does not look like the ones of most cannabis users around me.

Like some of you I also have a strong sleep disorder (probably induced by the one my daughter has and by my working hours). Cannabis absolutely never helped me falling asleep.
No matter if I use indica or sativa strains, conduction or convection, hash or flower...

THC turns my brain on and makes me think late after the high is gone.
It makes me focus intensely on what I'm doing, homework when I was in high school, skiing, hiking, playing music, cleaning the house, working... and if I have nothing to do (e.g. falling asleep), then it makes me think restless.

CBD doesn't seem to affect my ability to fall asleep.

The thing that works every time however is having an orgasm. Endorphin and oxytocin are the real deal for me.

Radwin Bodnic,
Reactions: Tji89

SixStringToker

Naked member
We may have strayed into TMI territory here.
This is why Radwin always goes to bed with a smile. :D

I've always had vivid dreams and that continues whether I'm on the marijuanas or not. I rarely notice a difference in my dream recollection after coming off a t-break but almost always have difficulty recalling them into the second and third week after firing back up.

Pcloudy

It's not the first time that my experience does not look like the ones of most cannabis users around me.

Like some of you I also have a strong sleep disorder (probably induced by the one my daughter has and by my working hours). Cannabis absolutely never helped me falling asleep.
No matter if I use indica or sativa strains, conduction or convection, hash or flower...

THC turns my brain on and makes me think late after the high is gone.
It makes me focus intensely on what I'm doing, homework when I was in high school, skiing, hiking, playing music, cleaning the house, working... and if I have nothing to do (e.g. falling asleep), then it makes me think restless.

CBD doesn't seem to affect my ability to fall asleep.

The thing that works every time however is having an orgasm. Endorphin and oxytocin are the real deal for me.
That’s wild to me as I have the exact opposite experience. My brain won’t shut off until I’m medicated. I’ve always had sleep issues due to the fact my brain just won’t stop racing. A little/a lot of thc helps shut it up a bit.

Top Bottom