do the lungs absorb a higher% of smaller hits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.

War Criminal
are large hits really wasteful? more importantly, does anyone have sources to back up their info?

i keep hearing people say that visible vapor is wasted vapor and that large hits waste more vapor than small ones, then i hear the roughly 33% of every inhale isn't absorbed (be it oxygen, thc, whatever),which makes me think that over the course of a session the same amount of vapor will be exhaled no matter how many hits you spread it out over.

my personal experience is that i get higher off a couple of large rips vs vaping the same amount over many small ones.

maybe it has to do with how quickly your brain is expossed to thc? a gradual rise in thc levels has a less dramatic effect on consciousness?

i don't know, i'm just thinking out loud.

questions, sources , personal experiences are encouraged. thanks!!

post script. the genesis of this thread:this topic has had me curious for a while, and now with the magic flight power adapter many of us have commented about how nice it is to be able to take much larger rips than ever before(bigger than my mz, close if not equal to my ssv). these comments are always followed by someone saying "remember-clouds are bad. visible vapor is wasted vapor". is this opinion or fact?

B.,

Carbon

Only you know what affects you. Obviously the psychological punch of taking a huge rip and quickly going from sober to stoned is going to leave a bigger impression than slowly consuming the same amount. If you chug 3 beers in a row you'll probably feel the effects of the alcohol more quickly than if you sipped the same 3 beers.

Visible vapor is wasted vapor of course because anything you see is what hasn't gone into your body. Don't get too caught up on this, though. You're always going to exhale some vapor. Take a super concentrated hit and you'll exhale a big cloud. Take a lot of little diffuse hits, you'll exhale similar vapor. I think the ratio of vapor taken in and vapor exhaled will be similar. Is the argument you're exploring is that perhaps after a certain saturation point of the air, one's body cannot possibly absorb any more of the active components? I suppose if this were true, taking more smaller hits would be more efficient, but I'm not sure it makes much difference.

People like larger hits because the higher concentration tastes stronger (often better) and hits you harder.

Assuming consistent temperature of the herbal material and vaporizer, I think the net effect would be similar. With my current setup, it's tough for me to comment. I have a Volcano, so the temperature setting is constant and so is the rate that the bag inflates. If I want a higher concentration of vapor, this is only achieved through adding more ground herb.

There's a lot of things one can compare here, and you could be opening a can of worms. What about slowly consuming (the equivalent of sipping a drink) super concentrated vapor vs. taking diffuse vapor and just inhaling it very quickly?

In the end it's probably very simple. Your peak experience will probably be similar when consuming similar amounts, but the bell curve of the effects will probably closely match the curve of your intake of the active compounds. Now that I conceptualize it like that, you might see a higher peak with faster intake and higher concentrations, with your curve having more of an upside down V shape rather than a broad bell shape as you would with more gradual consumption. Again it's tough to say as with my setup I most things are constant, but I'll leave it to some others with different vapes and more experience to comment before my post gets too "diffuse." :p

Carbon,

Mckdenton

B. said:
are large hits really wasteful? more importantly, does anyone have sources to back up their info?

my personal experience is that i get higher off a couple of large rips vs vaping the same amount over many small ones.

My personal experience is exactly that,
I have always kinda ignored the talk around here that visible vapor exhaled is wasteful.
I always get way more ripped off of a few huge rips then "sipping" the same about of herbage.
sipping 1. takes way longer and 2. doesn't seem to get me where I wanna be.
I like CLOUDS

Nice post B.!
:peace:

Mckdenton,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
i vape for the satisfaction. And, it is more satisfying to me to take in a full cloud of vapor ... it makes me smile ... and in my reality, that's priceless.

Hippie Dickie,

Nycdeisel

Vapor is absorbed by yours lungs less quickly then smoke, and the longer you hold it in, the more vapor you absorb, and thus less is exhaled. Most people hold it for at least this number of seconds or that number of seconds. In general, I say its best to hold hits in for at least 10 second(this would be harder to do with very large hits, so maybe holding hits in longer kind of goes along with rips that are not humongous).

I will admit that SOMEtimes I do like to see a nice cloud of exhaled vapor, but I feel wasteful doing that all of the time.

Im not saying you wont feel anything if you always see visible vapor, just that a lot of what you exhaled could have been saved for later. you get what Im saying?

Nycdeisel,

luchiano

It's different for people but I think it's not so much higher but how much quicker the different hits get you. Big hits will get you high faster due to more cannabinoids getting deeper into the lungs but you waste more on the exhale unless you hold it in for long.

Most people who take small hits don't take concentrated hits that go deep into the lungs. What I mean by this is that they don't take ultra slow hits that fill up the mouth, which will give a concentrated vapor, and then swallow the vapor and force it down deep into the lungs with a strong inhale and hold it there. This method will save you herb because the ultra slow hits will have a small air to vapor ratio so it is concentrated, which means potential for a strong high,but when you inhale a big amount of air it will push the vapor deep into the lungs which allows better absorption.

If you do this technique make sure you force the air out of the lungs first so it will be empty, then inhale so slow that the jaw is the only thing that will be opening and holding the vapor. Once you're done inhaling swallow the vapor and inhale air through the nose until your lungs are full and hold it as long as you can and exhale slowly.

luchiano,

Nycdeisel

Like you said its different for people, but when describing the technique that works for YOU, you are insisting it will work for all of US!
PS:You should never try to swallow a hit.
I can take nice hits that are not too straining from my PD and hold them in for a while. I think its the practice of conditioning yourself and your lungs to do this. I have been able to take deep, concentrated hits for a while, and I actually sometimes have to worry about holding it for TOO long (which we all know can be detrimental to your health), or forgetting because Im not focusing on holding it in because its no longer difficult for me. so there are the two extremes.

When I say holding for TOO long, I mean in excess of 30 seconds. Because its not the same as holding your breathe without vapor, where you would have a lungs full of fresh air

Nycdeisel,

luchiano

Nycdeisel said:
Like you said its different for people, but when describing the technique that works for YOU, you are insisting it will work for all of US!
PS:You should never try to swallow a hit.
I can take nice hits that are not too straining from my PD and hold them in for a while. I think its the practice of conditioning yourself and your lungs to do this. I have been able to take deep, concentrated hits for a while, and I actually sometimes have to worry about holding it for TOO long (which we all know can be detrimental to your health), or forgetting because Im not focusing on holding it in because its no longer difficult for me. so there are the two extremes.

When I say holding for TOO long, I mean in excess of 30 seconds. Because its not the same as holding your breathe without vapor, where you would have a lungs full of fresh air

First off what's with the attitude. I never INSISTED it will work for everyone. If I felt that way I would have stated it. Why do you think I stated it's different for different people?

As for swallowing a hit, it's the same as inhaling I just stated that so people can differentiate inhaling right away which can leave some vapor in the mouth when inhaling through the nose and what I described.

You're coming at me like you want a piece of me and you're only doing this because it's online but get off my dick and moderators you know I'm a respectful poster but who the hell is this punk bitch coming at me like this when I'm giving advice that someone can use.

I think people like you get mad at people like me for giving advice because you want to be the one to have access to some knowledge and have people kiss your ass instead of just trying help your fellow brothers out and when someone who does do this and it's actually something you didn't think of you get mad at that person. Get off my nuts and get your own shit. I'm tired of people like you claiming to be the weed knowledgeable shamans or whatever the hell you want to be and don't really give nothing special but what you read because you don't think for yourself and try to disrespect people who actually observe and question things and come up with their own conclusions.

GET OFF MY DICK AND FIND ANOTHER TREE TO SWING ON.

Mod note: You've been here a full year and should know better than to make a flaming post like this. We don't tolerate name calling here under any circumstances and this doesn't come close to respectful posting.

luchiano,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Be Nice

* All members must be treated in a respectful and adult manner. All members should respect and adhere to the promotion of harmony within the community. Do not attempt to disrupt the community in any way.
* No flaming. Please do not post any messages that harass, insult, belittle, threaten or flame another member. Be nice to newbies.
* Don't attack products or companies. You can post your opinion, and you can criticize, but posts written to offend are not allowed.

Lo,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
luchiano said:
First off what's with the attitude.

Dude, what attitude did she show? I don't get it. Vape a bowl and chill. It's all good.

Stu,

luchiano

She's stating that I'm insisting my method works for everyone when I never did this and trying to be slick with the ps nonsense and the bold letters. In other words she was being passive aggresive by being covert with her wording and I saw it. I read her post as being a smart ass so I reacted to it because I've had others do this when I post a method or something different from most on a lot of forums I have been regarding cannabis and I'm tired of it. Show me respect and I'll give it back.

Mod note: You'll post here in a respectful manner, with no flaming, regardless. She broke no rules, and it wouldn't have mattered if she had, as far as your response goes.

luchiano,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I understand that. The word "insist" was probably poorly chosen on her part. Don't read too much into it. For the record I appreciated your comments and I don't necessarily agree with NYCdiesel. But you don't need to go over the top to make your point.

Stu,

Nycdeisel

Im sorry if I came off that way man, I didnt mean to, I guess I quickly misinterpreted your post. Theres a lot that goes with vapor and I get confused when things are not explained in such a detailed way, but thats not your fault. However, you didnt need to react that way.

Nycdeisel,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
No shit. Total over reaction. Some people just don't like anyone telling them anything. Fact is, Nycdeisel (and most folks here) are respectful, knowledgable, and very helpful. Unlike most "weed" forums, this place is mostly free of swearing, fighting and tearing people down.

Dude, if you want to argue, do it intelligently, or head over to RIU or one of the other kiddie stoner forums.:peace:

Tstat,

aero18

vaporist
If you are really worried, you can simply exhale large hits into a bag and then re-inhale the exhaled vapor. Then you would be able to get large, flavorful vapor clouds with minimal worry about them going to waste.

aero18,

luchiano

Tstat said:
No shit. Total over reaction. Some people just don't like anyone telling them anything. Fact is, Nycdeisel (and most folks here) are respectful, knowledgable, and very helpful. Unlike most "weed" forums, this place is mostly free of swearing, fighting and tearing people down.

Dude, if you want to argue, do it intelligently, or head over to RIU or one of the other kiddie stoner forums.:peace:

No it wasn't an over reaction. It was bold and upfront and not covert like she was. I don't know why you're stating "some people just don't like anyone telling them anything" because if you read the post with some sense you will see it was an attack that was unprovoked so for you to say that along with trying to be funny with the "weed"(why put it in quotations if most people here use weed in their vaporizers and it's mentioned all the time?) forums comment means you are passive aggressive towards me too. I'm not arguing now but I will defend myself. Fact is I'm respectful and never did such things on FC or any other site I've been on but I'm tried of word bullies and I'm really tired of passive aggressive people who throw stones and then hide their hand and expect you to ignore you saw them do it. She knows what she did as well as I did and that's all that matters. Yeah, my reaction was full of swears but that doesn't make her post less vindictive. I'll give it to her, she does know how to hit you in sneaky ways while still looking like what she did was not that serious. When you look at the fact that I did nothing she stated it and it wasn't directed towards her, it was serious albeit serious in an internet way in this thread. I wouldn't want to fight her or even keep an attitude with her on this forum, it was just this thread and the way she came at me.

I'm just tired of people who don't agree with someone yet they really don't have a good basis for it and are scared of confrontation so they do and say slick things to attack you and come back with the be nice and talk intelligent nonsense yet when you debate with them they bring nothing but emotions to the table. Anyway this is tiring some people are who they are. Fuck 'em. Yeah I said it. Peace to the sensible people on here.

Mod note: Since it's clear who you're referring to as "they", you're once again in violation of the rules, and we won't tolerate flaming under under any circumstances. Your responses in this thread to this 'perceived' attack are a huge overreaction and you need to grow a thicker skin if you're going to continue to post here.

luchiano,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Wow, see on the Internet many things can get misinterpreted. Emails get people in trouble all the time. When you can't see the person, you don't get to see the emotion (if any) and the tone of voice, etc., thing's can get F'ed up.

You felt attacked and then you attacked back. You looked at the quotation marks I used and assumed I did that to be funny, or to attack you in some way. Truth is, this is not a weed forum. I used quotes to illustrate that. Nothing more.

I don't object to your having an argument, but man, when you start swearing and getting really angry, there might be problems. That's all. Not trying to bring any emotions to the table. I also just saw what the mod said when I went to re-read your post, in case I was wrong about your wording.

I won't comment again on this, as I hate when threads deteriorate into fights about something unrelated to the OP.

BTW, I like medium hits myself :)

Tstat,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom