DIY Light Bulb Vape question.

Rincwind

I have a question about all those Light bulb Vaps I keep running across. Is there a reason that everyone makes them out of Light bulbs. Is it just because everyone has them? Or is the thin glass important?

I am curious if anyone knows how a better quality glass would work. Something along the lines or lab quality or even just those thick glass bottles you can find at craft stores.

The craft example being something I do have. Its just a little bigger but has the same shape of a light bulb. Its just thicker glass and has a flat bottom.

Rincwind,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
well, i use pretty thick glass. the test tube oven is about 1mm thick and the vial inside that, which holds the bud, is at least 0.5mm thick -- much thicker than a light bulb.

i don't find that heat diffuses very far beyond the heater -- maybe an inch -- these days i think of the heat as being fairly localized.

the "problem" with the light bulb vape is applying the proper amount of heat without overheating to combustion.

Hippie Dickie,

max

Out to lunch
But you're not holding a lighter to your "test tube oven", right? For a lighter based DIY, glass a little thicker than a lightbulb may be better, but I don't know what you'd use. Everybody's got lightbulbs.

max,

02llse

a vaporizer is a pretty complicated thing to create. The lightbulb is nice because it works easily, and gets the job done safely.

02llse,

spaceman462

Cheap, usually have a few around the house, easy to make, etc. are the reasons for using light bulbs for DIY vapes. It's about as simple as you can get. But the thin glass is a problem because the heat from the lighter is transferred to the weed too quickly and it can easily scorch the weed. Thicker glass is beneficial because it takes longer to heat up and has a larger "sweet spot" when applying the lighter, so you won't scorch it as easily and you can produce bigger hits. It also takes longer to cool off, so subsequent hits don't require you to apply the lighter for as long.

spaceman462,

max

Out to lunch
Thicker glass is beneficial
But what commonly obtainable glass that's just a little thicker are you going to use? I don't see any DIYers using glass jars for a home made vape. Seems to me it's just easier to control the heat via distance and/or flame time and use a lightbulb. Certainly saves on butane.

max,
Top Bottom