DIY Induction Heater Builds and References

TommyDee

Vaporitor
None yet @RustyOldNail - I'm eyeing building a unique artisan unit. These have a nice finished look to them. With all these fancy caps coming out, people might not like sandpaper in their heaters. So when I saw what a bit of propane would do for my tubes, I thought I'd give it a shot.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Its all been about optimization of these circuits. You can always ask for the digest version if you get a mind to explore any of these things. I'm still on a compact kick with the standard issue Mini Module. Been doing this for some month and just now getting comfortable with the component kit. Of course, I've collected one of many kinds to choose the best as well.
Soldering is the only real skill I have with these things. You can use it almost like glue with a purpose.

TommyDee,

stark1

Lonesome Planet
Interested to know what (safe) small battery you use, and what protections to keep from going 💥 boom?

I have been considering 3S 18350, just need to find a battery holder, or some preformed 3S for compactness.

Don’t needl long, robust usage per charge, just a small form factor. Any suggestions?

stark1,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
20200717_135347.jpg

Yes, I like 18350. 650mah all day and a few nice 1200mah selections. Been using the eFest 1200mah cells and they are rock solid.
You can shorten the 18650 cases by removing a midsection. Just mount them on something.
10 amp BMS to avoid 💥
The key is an accurate power supply for charging. I didn't like removing the cells daily and I don't like supplies that can drift over 12.6V. I went with a digital option that has worked well for a quick charge.

TommyDee,

stark1

Lonesome Planet
Interesting print, is the 3rd cell serially connected to the other two?

Where to source a 3S. Spot weld = 💥, 💥 ? :popcorn:

stark1,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Me too. I'm asking about the remainder of the soldering required for the project. That is the risk working with the LiPo packs unless it is a plug-in solution. For LiPo, you would get the mating connectors, both, and wire up the unit. It'll look just like your PSM on the insides.

Now if it goes boom when you plug in the batteries then that's on you and those skills I am inquiring about.

And to be sure @stark1 - I do commission work if anyone has the need.

Also, what rate of heating do you prefer? I know you prefer smaller doses so what 'improvement' would you want over your current selection?

And for some new case fodder. These came quick. Ordered a couple days ago, together, and came in today, together. Also found the glasses case in the car. All good IH case candidates.

20200827_120455 (1).jpg

edit; lucky for the pretty round box that it is too small at 3-1/2" ID. Not quite tall enough inside. And it is way to nice to cut into. It is now my wife's trinket box.
The other little inlay box is a winner. Good size for a roomy install. I will leave the box intact with maybe an insert. Open the lid to operate kind of thing. Already antique with thick inlay. Fairly impressive trinket of distressed art.

Last edited:
TommyDee,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
3S 18350 battery pack with BMS, Micro-USB charge port, a 12.6V charge port, and a switched battery meter on the farside [in the mail]. 10A mini-power pack for IH's that just slips into a sleeve.

TommyDee,

CaleidosCope

View attachment 2072

Yes, I like 18350. 650mah all day and a few nice 1200mah selections. Been using the eFest 1200mah cells and they are rock solid.
You can shorten the 18650 cases by removing a midsection. Just mount them on something.
10 amp BMS to avoid 💥
The key is an accurate power supply for charging. I didn't like removing the cells daily and I don't like supplies that can drift over 12.6V. I went with a digital option that has worked well for a quick charge.
What sizes/dimensions do you have here?

CaleidosCope,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
20200911_013614.jpg

eBay never ceases to amaze me. Once you get past the clutter you can actually find gems. The preservation and presentation are a little more than novelty. By no means perfect with the right amount of age showing. And best of all, doesn't smell! It is a very fresh piece. I'm glad someone decided to put it up rather than bin it.

Last edited:
TommyDee,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I finally got the second 3S battery meter a couple of days ago. The battery tray was printed and waiting. I opted to remove the USB-converter as I find it useless. This is also a 2nd set of cells. I do like these.

20200911_013050.jpg

This time I did follow through with 15 gauge wire to the charge connector. This will power your Cauldron, your Apollo, and your Flix!

20200911_012849.jpg

And until supplies start landing again, this is about all I have for portables.

TommyDee,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
When I made this little mod I did have the little box in mind. It was just a little too tall to fit in the box. This avoided me having to go to a HalfPint circuit. This is a full Mini ZVS without any trace-cuts. Yet the gate control circuit is still isolated for use of any momentary switch.

20200907_142706.jpg

Since I've collected a few coils over the last few months, this one worked nicely for the form-factor. It has me a little concerned as the idle current went up by quite a bit. I'll see how that affects the endurance of the cells. Yesterday was a 5wh day. Pretty normal.

Add a little silicon 16 and 18 gauge hobby wire and a switch... Pretty simple circuit at this point don't you think?

20200911_013035.jpg

Last edited:

brave.heater

http://www.brave-heater.co
Manufacturer

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Okay, finally got the image for the latest frame to hold the bits.

20200919_235550.jpg

And in case you are wondering, the magnet on the left is a 5/16 x 1/8" N52 axially polarized magnet to pull the cap for whatever reason, normally to inspect done-ness. The central magnet is actualy a pair of 1/2" x 1/8" diamagetic magnets which are seriously weak on the VC but does cool the cap quickly and does hold the VC vertically fairly securely. I got the magnets at https://www.kjmagnetics.com/

TommyDee

Vaporitor
20200916_214253.jpg

I can't leave this post hanging at intermission. We'll wait, I can - intermission!

I've decided to do a HalfPint Conversion on this circuit. Parameters - small components on top and inductor and capacitor underneath. Coil on top. We're going to try a compliant passive contact shunt using the VC inside the coil. Imagine a heater with no switches anywhere. Drop the VC into the tube and count the lights until the click.
...that's the plan anyway. If you know me, you know I'll usually get there ...eventually :popcorn:

Top Bottom