• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

DiY glass symphony

SquirrelMaster

How did I miss this thread haha I posted over in the Glass Symphony thread a little while ago.

My parts have been in the mail for some weeks, I can't remember but it wasn't long. Delayed gratification on this one since it can be a real crap shoot when it comes to shipping from Aliexpress (but at least it's cheap). I didn't use the exact parts from that list as there were cheaper alternatives, some from other sellers on the list. I'll get my final list together at some point and post it here once everything arrives. I grabbed a PID and heater cartridge from the seller listed, which worked out cheaper than another Auber. Plus, I think I'll be able to trigger a smart plug for a nice heat soak when I leave work which is always a plus :D. I'm grabbed K-clips from another other seller (I grabbed some 14mm and 18mm too) and the thermometer adapter is listed on Ali (Deschem brand) for cheaper than Amazon, at least for myself in Canada. Also that rubber stopper sketched me out so I went with a cork instead.

I've been thinking about the heat paste or other alternatives to help heat soak the glass. Depending on the amount of space between the heater cartridge and the glass, I wonder if a bit of wire would work. I have a bunch of scrap copper and aluminum with high and low strand counts so I'll probably give that a shot first and see how it does. I haven't put any effort into finding the copper paste listed in the other thread which had me thinking about the wire. It's not like either is in the air anyways. s

I haven't bought any 5mm glass beads yet, I have plenty of 4mm boro beads at my disposal unless I need more open airflow and then I'm ordering 5mm ruby.

From what I've seen, this is going to be an absolute beast, at a VERY affordable price.

Tinman82

What wattage are these running? I'm running a shrunk down version that's about 24 watts. I'm wondering the difference having that glass thermometer surrounding does.

Tinman82,

SquirrelMaster

What wattage are these running? I'm running a shrunk down version that's about 24 watts. I'm wondering the difference having that glass thermometer surrounding does.
The 120V heater element listed above is rated at 200w. I'm guessing they only draw that when heating up and then drop to whatever is necessary to maintain temperature.

SquirrelMaster,

average_joe

Anyone knows if I could use Quartz beads instead of borosilicate? I cant find the second and paid $10 for 1 ball on ebay (well done stoner!)... quartz is so much easy to get. I got all the parts aready but the heating element I got is not working and I am missing the beads, hope I can get it done soon enough and post evrything here :D

SquirrelMaster

For anyone planning to order the above linked cartridge heater with a PID, expect a long ass wait unless you upgrade your shipping. I've had all my glass parts for a couple weeks now and my heater/PID still hasn't left China. The shipping cost to Canada was an extra $37 CAD so I'm not thrilled it's been sitting for so long. There are huge shipping delays on some items right now which could boil down to the package size and resulting shipping method (since I ordered the PID as well) and COVID obviously. It doesn't help that the company Topright lied to me and changed my chosen shipping method from ePacket (which they no longer offer) to China Post registered air mail. Never use China Post (to Canada anyways) unless you mind waiting up to 3-4 months, and that was pre-COVID. I ordered everything on Sept. 11.

SquirrelMaster,

average_joe

Cant find 5mm beads of boro, quartz or sic that arent super expensive, found some 6mm ones with great price, anyone tried with those?

average_joe,

average_joe

So far I cant make the GS on my own and cant see how to make it worth it... I got a defective heat rod from topright and cant find another seller who would sell it so might gotta buy from the same seller again and that's annoying to me. Also can't find 5mm beads that wont break the bank, seriously thinking just getting the 3mm and 4mm and maybe a mix will do it or just use 4mm ones but its so hard to find them with low price and low shipping to Chile... Wanted to buy from vgoodiez and add a elev8r but the shipping fee is also too high... Darn corona, Chile used to be in the low cost shipping :(.

Can someone tell me how many beads I will need aprox? Thanks.

Already got all the glass parts so might just finish it the best way I can.

average_joe,
Reactions: GoldenBud

fazZ8484

Hey yall, as you all know i made the "Rebuilded GS"
currently im working on a smaller GS version, 18mm intake so it would fit any type of 18 bowl, it would be smaller than the GS but bigger than the g43
hope to update you soon as i can!

Hippie

A 19/26 claisen works well with the heater rod (and a 19/26 thermometer tube) with or without balls
I seem to get a short claisen and a long claisen every time I order 2, for some reason???, and find the shorter ones work best with a deep bowl like the Herborizer bowl and the longer ones work well with a shallower bowl like the Elev38R bowl

Or the MA2/3 adapter (with a 19/26 thermometer tube and balls) works well as an inbetween sized GS tooo

SquirrelMaster

So far I cant make the GS on my own and cant see how to make it worth it... I got a defective heat rod from topright and cant find another seller who would sell it so might gotta buy from the same seller again and that's annoying to me. Also can't find 5mm beads that wont break the bank, seriously thinking just getting the 3mm and 4mm and maybe a mix will do it or just use 4mm ones but its so hard to find them with low price and low shipping to Chile... Wanted to buy from vgoodiez and add a elev8r but the shipping fee is also too high... Darn corona, Chile used to be in the low cost shipping :(.

Can someone tell me how many beads I will need aprox? Thanks.

Already got all the glass parts so might just finish it the best way I can.
Did you start a dispute over that piece? Aliexpress will refund you if Topright doesn't cooperate. I'm also not happy with Topright, they messed my shipping up (sent slower shipping type and they made a mistake and had to recall the package) and I've been waiting since Sept. 15.

SquirrelMaster,
Reactions: Cheebsy

average_joe

Did you start a dispute over that piece? Aliexpress will refund you if Topright doesn't cooperate. I'm also not happy with Topright, they messed my shipping up (sent slower shipping type and they made a mistake and had to recall the package) and I've been waiting since Sept. 15.
Thanks for your comment, I am still waiting for the dispute to finish and then if I get the money and shipping fee back I will have to buy it from them again as I cant find other seller or might just call off this project. Been over a month for me, hope it gets sorted out for both soon

SquirrelMaster

Thanks for your comment, I am still waiting for the dispute to finish and then if I get the money and shipping fee back I will have to buy it from them again as I cant find other seller or might just call off this project. Been over a month for me, hope it gets sorted out for both soon
You may have done this already but if you have a temp gun I would take pictures and/or video showing that the heater isn't working. When I've given evidence my claim is pushed through very quickly. I hope it isn't much linger for you.

I did a little searching for a similar 100w 6.5x100mm catridge heater with an XLR connection, but I didn't find anything. Cartridge heaters by themselves are easy to find but with that PID compatible end, not so much. I'll post back if I do come across any.

sparrowman

A 19/26 claisen works well with the heater rod (and a 19/26 thermometer tube) with or without balls
I seem to get a short claisen and a long claisen every time I order 2, for some reason???, and find the shorter ones work best with a deep bowl like the Herborizer bowl and the longer ones work well with a shallower bowl like the Elev38R bowl

Or the MA2/3 adapter (with a 19/26 thermometer tube and balls) works well as an inbetween sized GS tooo

You mean this? https://vapefiend.co.uk/products/ra...splinter-water-adaptor?variant=12584262041684. Do you have a picture of that by any chance?

sparrowman,

Hippie

19/26 3 way claisens

Shop around as there are loads available and ideally you want the side arm higher than the one pictured in the 1st listing

MA2/3 (19/26 in and 24/29 out)

Spleeeno

Horsin around
So here's my sorta-verified build recipe, I tried to get most stuff from one seller and picked 24/29 instead of 24/40:

Body and Bowl:
Main Body: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32926463051.html
Thermometer Adapter: 100mm https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32964439646.html
18mm Bowl / Sidegrip: 2x https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000152924016.html

Clips and Plugs:
Inside Plug: Caliber 18 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000070832749.html
Outside Plug: Caliber 18-22 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000070891915.html
Kek Clips: Caliber 24 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32852101260.html

Not listed as links because everyone should have a few of those around: 3x 18mm basket screens
One dropped into the Bowl (VERY even roast btw)
One squished into the Sidejoint to hold in the balls
One in the bottom of the sidegrip to act as a backup if the squished basket screen falls out to keep the hot balls secure

Heater:
If you already have a PID thats compatible:
Cartridge Heater: 110V or 220V https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32765694340.html
You're not sure about your PID and dont want to blow shit up:
110V PID/Coil Combo: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003277124248.html
220V PID/Coil Combo: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002176264795.html

Balls:
I used 4mm boro balls.
same seller as all the other glass parts, but might be hit and miss with the size range: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000079043921.html
different seller, pretty cheap: 4mm https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000116141015.html

Placebo Steps:

I put a single 6mm boro ball in the thermometer adapter to center the cartridge and give me an indicator if the heater has too much wiggle room.
I wrapped the Cartridge Heater in Graphite Pads used for CPU cooling, just wrapping 2 around the "top" part makes it cover all the ballsy areas.
They are rated to work up to 400C, so I dont run the PID above 750f/398c and have tuned the PID to minimize overshooting.
I'm too cheap to test this PROPERLY and supply data on if it really works or makes things more efficient atm, but they are kinda cheap so I wanted to try them out of curiosity (and experience with using them on CPUs).
But I'm fairly certain that just using two plugs to properly "seal" the heat in there is also helping.

https://www.reddit.com/r/enail/comments/2vgaih/_/cpmqlkw
The pics show the whole thing with a 24-14 adapter in a simrell cage, cause thats the lowest and heaviest stand I could find :D

Attachments

• symphony02.jpg
    symphony02.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 65

Hippie

I have been using one of these for the screen in the 24mm bowl
which seems a bit silly to be honest as it's all glass up to that point altho you can just bend the metal tab and push it in and it stays in place when you tip the bowl up

Does anyone know where we can buy 15 - 18mm glass honeycomb screens?
I'm thinking we should be able to thread a length of wire through the screen to create a couple of tails to hold the glass screen in place like the hanging sieve screens

Have you guys found any other alternatives?
Will the Herbo XL and Verdamper bowls will fit??

Hippie,

Spleeeno

Horsin around
I'm thinking we should be able to thread a length of wire through the screen to create a couple of tails to hold the glass screen in place like the hanging sieve screens
thats basically the screen setup from the first terptorch bowl

Attachments

• tt.jpg
    tt.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 20
Spleeeno,

SquirrelMaster

My cartridge heater showed up yesterday! This piece was originally ordered in September but they had sent me a 220V heater by mistake (which took 3~ months) followed by this replacement.

The wait was well worth it.

I've been dosing heavily lately for medical relief (and also because of my new DabPress) but I was so fucking high last night I couldn't keep my eyes open. It was tolerance break level high.

Anyone considering this build should order parts NOW (unless you're in Canada, I'll have better links for a couple items). Once I'm home from work I'll link the exact parts (unless I'm too high, which is a real possibility) but my list was very close to the first post. The keck clips were from another seller on Aliexpress for a lower price, I remember that for sure, and I went with a cork piece for the top "stopper". My glass balls are 4mm Kimax which I had lying around and they seem perfect. I wouldn't go 5mm as the airflow is just right as-is.

Considering the final cost is substantially lower than any other heavy hitter on the market (Elev8r is close) this is THE choice for anyone on a budget or for those looking for the best taste (based on my initial impressions). It's a big clunky, fragile device but that's the only draw back. The fragility could be mitigated with some hemp ropes or silicone bands to act like a bumper. The heat is concentrated around the vape's ball area so it wouldnt be subjected to high temperatures. I was running my heater at 650°F and it was ready to vape upon reaching temp but really shined after 5-10 minutes of heat soaking. This temp is with the heater inside the thermometer holder and nothing more. I planned on adding some finely stranded copper between the 2 pieces which should allow me to drop my temperature a bit.

fazZ8484

My cartridge heater showed up yesterday! This piece was originally ordered in September but they had sent me a 220V heater by mistake (which took 3~ months) followed by this replacement.

The wait was well worth it.

I've been dosing heavily lately for medical relief (and also because of my new DabPress) but I was so fucking high last night I couldn't keep my eyes open. It was tolerance break level high.

Anyone considering this build should order parts NOW (unless you're in Canada, I'll have better links for a couple items). Once I'm home from work I'll link the exact parts (unless I'm too high, which is a real possibility) but my list was very close to the first post. The keck clips were from another seller on Aliexpress for a lower price, I remember that for sure, and I went with a cork piece for the top "stopper". My glass balls are 4mm Kimax which I had lying around and they seem perfect. I wouldn't go 5mm as the airflow is just right as-is.

Considering the final cost is substantially lower than any other heavy hitter on the market (Elev8r is close) this is THE choice for anyone on a budget or for those looking for the best taste (based on my initial impressions). It's a big clunky, fragile device but that's the only draw back. The fragility could be mitigated with some hemp ropes or silicone bands to act like a bumper. The heat is concentrated around the vape's ball area so it wouldnt be subjected to high temperatures. I was running my heater at 650°F and it was ready to vape upon reaching temp but really shined after 5-10 minutes of heat soaking. This temp is with the heater inside the thermometer holder and nothing more. I planned on adding some finely stranded copper between the 2 pieces which should allow me to drop my temperature a bit.
Glad to hear its all worked out, have fun!

average_joe

Hello ppl I ended up finishing my GSV. Will try a bit more parts and things and then do a video when I feel that I tried everything I have to. I found most parts on Aliexpress and Amazon. I ended up buying quartz beads size 4,5 and 6. I found that ppl with the body that is recommended to use got the 5mm beads to fit nicely, that was not my case and only the 4mm fit properly behind the heatting element (opposite side to the air intake), I could use the 5 ones on the intake and 4 ones around heater (6mm ones are too big but could use them to fill part of the intake).

Strongest hitting vape I tried so far, flavor is as good as the Tetrax but more intense (as I can rip the whole bowl in one puff with the GSV and not with the Tetrax) and I mean super intense, with some straints it was like having candy inside my mouth.

Thanks to Goldenbud for all the help and to anyone that helped developing the vape and the ones sharing the info, I really like the vape and will keep playing with it :D.

SquirrelMaster

Hello ppl I ended up finishing my GSV. Will try a bit more parts and things and then do a video when I feel that I tried everything I have to. I found most parts on Aliexpress and Amazon. I ended up buying quartz beads size 4,5 and 6. I found that ppl with the body that is recommended to use got the 5mm beads to fit nicely, that was not my case and only the 4mm fit properly behind the heatting element (opposite side to the air intake), I could use the 5 ones on the intake and 4 ones around heater (6mm ones are too big but could use them to fill part of the intake).

Strongest hitting vape I tried so far, flavor is as good as the Tetrax but more intense (as I can rip the whole bowl in one puff with the GSV and not with the Tetrax) and I mean super intense, with some straints it was like having candy inside my mouth.

Thanks to Goldenbud for all the help and to anyone that helped developing the vape and the ones sharing the info, I really like the vape and will keep playing with it :D.

The intense flavor from these heavy hitters is the best! The larger the surface area of the bowl the better. That was something I immediately noticed and loved with the Flowerpot and its companion Shovelhead bowl. The GS doesn't have the added conduction of a metal bowl but the flavor is better and I can pack more (if I'm feeling adventurous). I didn't have any 5mm balls to check but they seemed like they would be a tight fit. 4mm works great anyways. Did you add anything between your heater and thermometer holder to help with the heat transfer?

I came home yesterday thinking I had turned on one of my smart plugs for the GS an hour prior but I had accidentally turned on my DigiTi. I turned on the GS, vaped a bowl in the DigiTi and then vaped a bowl in the GS. The GS hit harder than the DigiTi, no question. Flavour is very similar but I had a different strain going in each so I can't say for sure which I will come out on top (I suspect the all glass GS).

Top Bottom