DIY Elev8r with coil and glass beads.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
One more update:
I have gone back to using borosilicate adapters with the torch. The quartz piece is not ideal because it takes a lot more gas to get up to temp, but does not deliver that extra heat for a longer time as it is largely stored in the solid quartz rings that are not in contact with the airflow. The space inside the piece does not hold enough beads. It would probably be OK with a coil but there's room for improvement...

I got lucky with an ebay chinese seller who seems to have good quality borosilicate because I've been using their 14/18 adapter for 3 weeks now (firing it several times a day) and still there are no cracks.

(currently out of stock :\)

The 14/18 adapter is the perfect heater (14mm end on top) as the bulge in the middle gives space for the right amount of beads that can hold enough heat to finish the bowl... A bigger 18/18 adapter with more beads takes longer to heat up but does not perform any better.

(sorry if I'm hijacking the thread which says "with coil" in the title! can start a fresh thread if preferred)

Last edited:
Haze Mister,
Reactions: Hippie

imor jones

Awesome...since i have the g43, and then saw the terptorch with glassbeads, then again saw the elev8r filled with beads...i already had ideas...then i found thus Thread. So Yesterday i filled a 18/14 m/m Adapter with 3mm glasbeads. The Adapter is from black leaf and hast some corrugations that nicely hold the 16(?)mm coil. Putting the nail on 360C Celsius. And a 18/16 f/m Adapter AS Bowl.
This Thing realy rips!!!!!
A really good all glass heater...
thanks dir sharing your ideas!!!!

peace tim

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
THIS IS HOW I CURRENTLY ROLL :tup:
IMG_20201223_1243115.jpg
and have been since I got this kit together in October! The glass base is for placing the hot heater when I want to empty the bowl, as the bowl cleans better when hot by simply blowing into the bottom end. The other thing is a piece of silicone tubing that I can use like a sleeve to pick up the hot heater. The heater is full of quartz beads from the midpoint up to the middle of the opaque part for optimal airflow vs heat retention.
This glass rig is delicious!! and provides excelleent cooling and flavour.

Sorry about the dirt but i only bother with acetone and I can't get hold of any atm because of scamdemic.

I can get a consistent temp reading by aiming the IR gun at the opaque ground glass part of the heater and by getting that to 350C i can flash vape the load in short tokes, with full flavour and zero coughing. Sometimes a stir and reheat yields some more vapour.

I coated the outside of the bowl with silicone for protection and easier handling when hot, white at the bottom and clear at the top, so I can monitor the insides for combustion during inhalation. The bowl is by Black Leaf, currently out of stock on their site. Getting replacement bowls like that (18/14mm adapters with the right shape) is difficult currently, any cheap sources in the EU??

It would be nice if someone made a gas torch/ IR thermometer combo gun :D

There is actually a difference in the effect from this vape as compared to less powerful devices that take longer to deliver. As well as releasing the full flavour of the herbs, this hits faster and is to me more euphoric and warm feeling and more like hitting a bong. If this doesn't win over a combustion fan, nothing will!

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Nice stuff!! one of my early DIY vaporizers was the same thing.

31-F33490-503-D-461-B-889-C-3037281-A7-ACF.jpg

I moved on to a slightly improved design but it was a great starting point. I agree the flavor and effects are very hard to beat. The torch dynamics allow some impressive performance that is difficult to match when electrified. Only problem with this is the same problem with all ball vapes, moving parts require screens for retaining, and I can smell the hot metal screens at temp. I’m more bothered by the screens holding the balls then screens holding the herb, as the mass of metal is very low so it sees a lot of heat during torching.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Only problem with this is the same problem with all ball vapes, moving parts require screens for retaining, and I can smell the hot metal screens at temp. I’m more bothered by the screens holding the balls then screens holding the herb, as the mass of metal is very low so it sees a lot of heat during torching.

I don't have a way to compare the flavour without a metal screen... but yeah it would be sweet to have a custom made heater with the beads held permanently in place without any metal! keeping an eye on your project!
The middle ridge of these adapters seems good for torch use as it provides more surface area for the flame to hit and space for more beads... (as well as holding the screen).
Really enjoying the cable-free , electricity free experience but the local shop will be wondering how I'm getting through all that butane :cool:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I don't have a way to compare the flavour without a metal screen... but yeah it would be sweet to have a custom made heater with the beads held permanently in place without any metal! keeping an eye on your project!
The middle ridge of these adapters seems good for torch use as it provides more surface area for the flame to hit and space for more beads... (as well as holding the screen).
Really enjoying the cable-free , electricity free experience but the local shop will be wondering how I'm getting through all that butane :cool:

Yeah it goes through a bit of gas but the vapor quality is worth it. I have a smaller 14mm based one that almost hits as hard on less herb and doesn't use as much fuel. But the igniter is out on my big torch, so I have to light it with a second torch lighter to get it going, which is killing my vibe lately! I like having the electric option for when I'm feeling too lazy to torch or when I'm out of gas. The electric is easier to control for consistency but the torched quartz heat soaks better than the electric can get and milks a little harder.

Top Bottom