Dispensary Pre-roll Experience

Would you buy dispensary pre-rolls?

• Total voters

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
I've never ran into a pre-roll in the wild. There are comments out there about dispensary pre-rolls being "trim" or "lesser quality shake". I thought "shake" was just bud that shed a bit which should be the same as ground bud including trichomes so I'm not sure how that translates into less quality.

Pre-rolls look like a good way to experience different strains without investing in an eighth and is another way to pick up the strains I prefer when the dispensary is out of eighths. I've also read that they are machine rolled and can be too tight but that's not a concern for me because I'd break them open and vape the contents.

Does anyone have any pre-roll experience with dispensaries they'd like to share? How about Trulieve in Florida?

If there is already a thread covering this please let me know. I searched but didn't find anything.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I've come in the door and dude or dudette is packing spliffs from shake out of the pound bags. The actual material still has to be accounted for so it has the proper label. But yea, hand made spliffs while bored watching the door.

His_Highness

I've come in the door and dude or dudette is packing spliffs from shake out of the pound bags. The actual material still has to be accounted for so it has the proper label. But yea, hand made spliffs while bored watching the door.

Sounds promising....if I'm not being to nosy....which dispensary?

His_Highness,

justcametomind

I’d think about lowering my expectations in these times of crisis. I’d buy anything I could. Pre rolls or eights included if I had money.
It could be the last visit to a Cannabis shop for a long time.
My 2 cents.

Baron23

I thought "shake" was just bud that shed a bit which should be the same as ground bud including trichomes

It is, or should be.

I live in Maryland and have a MD med card. In our state, there are separate licenses for growers, processors (think extractors and the like) and dispensaries.

Most of the pre-rolls I see are made at the grower's facility and there is no telling what's in them...but it should not be trim.

My fav local dispensary buys in bulk so my 1/8ths the like are packaged when I order and are not pre-packed by the grower.

They also make their own pre-rolls and it is from shake and are, IMO, just fine for that occasional paper vape experience.

darbarikanada

I've bought many pre-rolls in wa state. the weed's tested, so there's no mystery as far as THC % (yes: I know one should take the #'s with a grain of salt...). the dispensaries tell me that some pre-rolls are shake ('trim'), some what falls off bud, and some a mix.

pre-rolls are great for vaping - you don't have to grind and there's no stems, and yes: it's a great way to try different strains. fwiw: I've been in dispensaries where they had the same strain, from the same producer, and the pre-rolls were actually a bit higher THC than the bud. maybe different batches, or testing anomalies, but still...

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I already described my experience in a thread that's long dead, so I'll just cut and paste. You can decide for yourself whether it looks like shake.

I finally got around to making a connection with my new dealer the government here in Ontario. I wanted to get a high CBD strain and the selection was not so great. I wound up ordering something called Yin & Yang, which they call a "nearly" 1:1 indica-dominant hybrid. For the record, it's listed at 6-10% THC and 9-13% CBD. I chose this strain because it also has a nice terpene profile (more on this later). When I ordered they only had 1 g pre-rolls, so I got three. I placed the order Thursday evening and my new pusher the postman delivered the package this morning (Monday). If they're looking for a way to bring the prices down to black market levels, this pic might provide a hint:

20190218-mndtg-2.png

This is Amazon-level over-packaging.

The joint itself doesn't look machine-rolled. I have a mental image of dozens of workers sitting in a clean room wearing hairnets and hazmat jumpers, diligently hand-rolling these one gram doobies. Real life has turned out to be way weirder than I ever dreamed.

Naturally I had no intentions of lighting that thing. This is what it looked like out of the paper:

20190218-mndtg-5.png

It was pretty dry and finely ground. It was dry but sticky enough to hold the rolled shape until I broke it up. There was no hint of any stems. It's not easy to tell much even with a magnifying glass because of the rolling process. You can see some trichomes and it looks to me like it's mostly bud, but the bottom line is that I think rolling it definitely degrades it somewhat as a vaping product. I would order a pre-roll only if there was no other packaging available, as in this case.

Despite the complaints I've heard about OCS shipping underweight product, this one weighed in at a nice 1.08 g. (I haven't checked the other two yet.) For me that is one extra load, since I tend to use .07 g as a standard.

Now, about that terpene profile. I was disappointed by the nose. It was not particularly fragrant, but that wasn't surprising once I saw how dry it was. The taste is quite nice but not strong. I was hoping for something more flavourful, but I can live with this. The effects are exactly what I wanted. I get a nice fairly light head stone and a great body stone that really takes care of my backache. This is one of their cheapest strains, and for me it's great value. I'll probably get more if they still list it when I run low—just not in a pre-roll.​

His_Highness

So far the poll is 3 for YES I'd buy a pre-roll and 5 for NO I wouldn't buy a pre-roll.

I placed a delivery order for a bunch of 1 gram pre-rolls last night because the dispensary was out of eighths. Had a nice bunch of different strains. This morning I checked and the eighths were back in stock so after reading this thread this morning I cancelled the pre-rolls and substituted the eighths.

It's a little less money buying the eighths instead of the pre-rolls but I'll miss out on the pre-roll buffet. At this point I don't have to worry about any cannabis hoarding affecting me in the short term so I'm good with how this worked out.

His_Highness,

strech

As of now I wouldn't buy pre rolls. The biggest reason is they cost to much here in Illinois. $20 pre tax usually for a 1 gram joint. I can't justify paying more then $7 a gram for flower.

CalyxSmokr

never buy. but the freebies often vape fine
I would buy a shake blend if I knew it was sugary and the price was right

acstorfer

Take My Money Dammit!
I’ll buy prerolls if the dispensaries are out of whole flower. Usually I’ll open it up and vape it, put it in a bowl, or roll smaller joints out of them. I’ve found in Florida most of the prerolls are basically dust.

I do buy preground flower though. It’s not as good as the whole flower, but good enough for the price. One local place does an ounce for $100, and another for a quarter for $25. I got some a couple days ago and I’m pretty impressed. It’s got some stems unfortunately but the ground is really course. It’s perfect for vaping.

BestBuds

The Dude
The dispensaries in CT have "select grind" and that's what they put in their pre rolls. I have had bud from she same grower same strain bought in the same month. One was select grind (lots of stems! Very sugary. Good high, smelled aweful, tasted aweful) second cut (loose buds, seemed a little on the dry side, great flavor but it had a little straw taste to it) and Flower (prime quality buds, great flavor)

They often sell a 7g select grind for the price of a 3.5g of flower. So if I'm tight on money and I am really hard up I would rather have the select grind or a preroll.

But it's highly subjective. I used to work near Cultivate in Massachusetts and their prerolls were normal bud. Maybe they took some keef but the herb tasted great. At cultivate I would buy a pre roll of new strains to try before I bought a larger amount.

I don't think I can say the same about the CT dispensaries. Like I said: same herb strain, the select grind was horrible in a vape, the flower was delicious.

Papa Woody

"The vapor is strong with this one"-Obi Onda Woody
I do like the ability to try different strains 1 gram at a time through a log vape. I get about 8-10 bowls per pre-roll and they always taste great. My local dispensary sells 14 1 gram pre-rolls for $100 plus $23 tax (recreational price), mix or match. ($12 for single purchase.)
My dispensary also grows on site and recently grew a batch of Panama Red. I haven’t had Panama Red since the mid Seventies so I picked up a few Panama Red pre-rolls and I thought I had gone back in time in more ways than one. Familiar great taste, excellent stone, and it was a great flashback to 40 some years ago. Definite value to pre-rolls, you just need a great source.

And they make great gifts!

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Only ever had one great pre roll in the entire state of California! No surprise this one stood out because they actually put their own ground green in it, cultivated in house! 25% THC to boot. Great flavor and potency when broke down and vaporized!

I always thought it was such a joke that dispensaries would give away shitty pre rolls expecting to earn my business!? Instead I was usually offended, cause it's a total joke to me to give out a joint full of shake ground to dust in a coffee grinder.

Pre rolls are very expensive here in SoCal, can easily spend $20 for one, usually not even a gram in there lol.

GreenDragon

I buy prerolls for my combusting friends who refuse to vape.
If they don't want to vape good flower or concentrates.... it's cheap trim prerolls.... outside.
Nobody bitches about them. A jar full of 1g prerolls makes people happy. :-)

Legal State. Good flower prerolls are $15+.
Nasty trim prerolls are cheap, $46 for 28 1g prerolls. That is $1.64 per gram! They will get you where you want to go, but taste bad. Tried vaping it, but was too fine, not enough air flow for convection vapes.

Top Bottom