Diggin in the Garden

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
Not much left in the garden. The trees are doing most of the work right now. Apples, pears, quince, blood orange, Valencia oranges, Meyer lemons, are ripe. And grapefruit, but we mostly ignore that.
It looks like pomegranates and avocado are in my future if I can beat the squirrels to them. I haven't so far, but I'm in training.
I want to put in some elderberry bushes, and hazelnuts, so I'm starting the research. Thornless blackberries would be nice.

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
@FlyingLow the Blueberries are pretty darn picky, I've had some luck with them. I have them in 25 gallon pots cuz there's no way I'd be able to get my soil acidic enough for them. I also have to create a pH down to mix with my faucet water to bring it down to what they like (around 4-4.5). I also had issues with rabbits eating any bush that was small enough for them to get to (they ate the leaves), but somehow I was always able to get most of the fruit off of them. Told myself I'm giving it one more year with them if I don't get a bunch this year, may just plant a couple fruit trees in their place.

Florida grown in my small back yard from earlier this year... Apples from a small 3 year old tree

Small Blueberry bush with some berries

Last edited:

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Thats a healthy bush @CrazyDiamond . Our new house has a very old and mature blueberry bush, if you can still calll it that... Most all of its branches are 15-20 feet in length, it produced somewhere between 2-3 lbs this past season.

My grafted fruit trees are doing pitifully, I'd be shocked if they survive till spring.

But we did discover two fruiting fig trees on the property... shame I am not crazy for figs!
...really wanting to do tomatoes again, but doubtful I'll get to it this spring either- my time is spread thin.

Razhumikin

Our new house has a very old and mature blueberry bush, if you can still calll it that... Most all of its branches are 15-20 feet in length, it produced somewhere between 2-3 lbs this past season.

My grafted fruit trees are doing pitifully, I'd be shocked if they survive till spring.

But we did discover two fruiting fig trees on the property... shame I am not crazy for figs!
...really wanting to do tomatoes again, but doubtful I'll get to it this spring either- my time is spread thin.
Take the figs, stuff them with blue cheese, and wrap them in bacon. Youll come around on figs pretty quick :).

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
So who's at it this year then?

I was a bit lazy at the beginning of the season and didn't sow what I wanted to. However I did get some plants that were already started. We've got spring onions, corgette (zucchini), cucumber, chili's and tomatoes. I just harvested my first homegrown cucumber and it is delishous!

What have you lot got going on this year? Anything you're particularly excited for?

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
I have apples going in central Florida. Already harvested from the Anna apple tree, the other 5 varieties I have (of single trees) have apples on them for the first time. These were one year old when I planted two years ago, so three year olds, not very big at all. I also have a cherry tree that is about 3-4 years old..still nothing from it. I did blueberries the past couple years, but not this...too hard, lol.

Knewt

I dug up my garlic crop a few days ago. It was underwhelming. Very small bulbs considering all the moisture they got over winter and spring. My 30+ year old sweet cherry tree has very juicy fat cherries this year. Between myself, wife and neighbor teenager we have picked about 10 gallons of cherries. My apricot tree has lots of fruit, but too early to try.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
My 20' tall blueberry bush suffered this winter and spring with late freezes, it killed off a lot of branches...

my monster dog eats all gardens, especially tomato plants... she is a complete menace, I've seen her catch and swallow a bird in flight on 3 different occasions. I miss digging in the dirt.

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
BTW, I forgot to mention that what I have is in a vcery small yard in a residential community....wish I had some more space. I might try a couple dwarf pear trees where I have the 3, 25 gallon pots for the blueberries since I'm not moving forward with them.

CrazyDiamond,
Reactions: Bologna
Top Bottom