desktop vs wand type vapes (EQ-vs-Herborizer)

ucont

First of all I would like to say 'Hello' - secondly I apologies in advance for the babble bellow :)

I recently stopped smoking cigarettes, however I continue to smoke spliffs daily (in fact I have found that I'm smoking more spliffs.... who would have guessed it 'eh? ;))
With the price of bud at £10 ($15-16) a gram for me currently, I'm looking for a more efficient method of consumption than my current bong. (a cheap 18" glass bong)

So, here I am smoking my last spliff for at least the next week or two as I have decided to forgo smoking weed in order to fund a vape. I have read a lot of information on the topic over the last few days, mainly on this forum. (thank you FC) However I am still uncertain as to which vape is for me.
The vapes I have in mind at the moment are the extreme-Q and the Herborizer or LSV.

How do these compare? Specifically the extreme-Q and the herborizer, I know they are completely different styles of vapes, and I guess this is why I have struggled to find a direct comparison.
How does the EQ perform when a bong or bubbler is used? - I know that the vapour would have to travel through the plastic pipe as opposed to the herborizer's more direct path, but I have no idea by how much this would effect me? I feel I could live without the bags and whip options if the herbo/LSV produced significantly better vapour with a bong/bubbler and was more efficient.

I can pick up a new EQ for around £145 ($220) and I have been offered a slightly used herborizer XL for £165 ($250) - so as far as price goes they are similar.... I would really appreciate any help with this decision as I want this to last me for many years (wishful thinking maybe)

Feel free to throw me into an infinite loop of looking at alternative vapes by suggesting something else if you feel like it :)

//UC

ucont,

clouded vision

If you plan to use a bong the majority of the time I would probably rule out the EQ. There is nothing wrong with it but the other 2 ate pretty much purpose built for pairing with bongs (as long as your cheap glass bong has a gong joint instead ofa soft glass downstem). I don't know much about the herborizer but I believe it always has to be used with a bong so that won't give you the option of hitting it dry (which can be a good change of pace sometimes, just like switching back and forth between spliffs and a bong). I can tell you from my own experience that the LSV is amazing, and it produces huge clouds both dry and through water, also if you aren't completely clumsy with the glass parts (which are easily replaceable) the unit itself is built like a tank. I have read about a SSV (essentially the same unit just laid out differently) that has been running continuously for over 6 years now. just an FYI units that produce big clouds aren't going to be the most efficient because the vapor you exhale is just wasted vapor so smaller hits will be more efficient. That being said, even taking huge rips from a vaporizer will still be more efficient than combustion abd being a former smoker I can say there is something satisfying about taking a huge vapor bong rip.

With opening the thread up to any suggestions you will definitely get a endless circle if suggestions like you said so you might want tilist out some things that are most important to you. flavor, efficiency, huge rips, learning curve, budget just a few factors I thought of off the top of my head.

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Go for the Herborizer, at that price it's a very good option. Is it the Sphere or the Tube? Or it's just the heater?

Bear in mind that being all glass, you need to be extra carefull, so it's not a quick-hit-and-go kind of vaporizer... and although you can clear a bowl quickly, it really shines if you take your time with your vaporizing session, extending it for at least 20minutes.

This is my opinion from what i've read and from the vaporizers i own, since i don't have direct experience with the Herborizer.

If you want something small and inconspicuous, a log vape like the Underdog is always a nice option (i take it you're from the UK), otherwise you also have the E-nano which is a log but with a different heating element and built-in temp control.

vorrange,

ucont

Well I guess my main requirement really is efficiency at this point, trying to cut back on the amount of material I need to get high from is the main reason (along with stopping smoking) why I am after a vape, so this is my main concern, really.
As far as the bong goes, it is not a requirement but more of an after thought...

If I was to get the EQ for instance I would probably not use it with my current bong but in the future I would like to get a nice glass bubbler or something similar...
But If the herborizer was as efficient as the EQ I would probably jump straight to using that with the bong it comes with, and then expand to a bubbler in the future.

The LSV really does look great but I can't seem to find it for a decent price within the UK as of yet, I shall keep looking though as I think the LSV does fit my needs, and with the option to use a whip would make it more portable if required.

Is it the Sphere or the Tube? Or it's just the heater?
It is the Tube version

Bear in mind that being all glass, you need to be extra carefull, so it's not a quick-hit-and-go kind of vaporizer... and although you can clear a bowl quickly, it really shines if you take your time with your vaporizing session, extending it for at least 20minutes.
That really isn't much of a problem - I would prefer to take my time and enjoy a session, in fact the reason why I've not accepted his offer yet is that I'm concerned that it would be a too much of a big hitter ...with it being a bong and all... How many hits do you reckon I could expect from 0.1 gram of weed with the herborizer XL tube?

If you want something small and inconspicuous, a log vape like the Underdog is always a nice option (i take it you're from the UK), otherwise you also have the E-nano which is a log but with a different heating element and built-in temp control.
Yep - I'm from the UK, I have been looking at these today actually and have also got my attention.

Thanks for the replies - I'm still going to have a think on this for a bit before buying either one.

ucont,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
If efficiency is your main drive, a log vape should be on top of your list of choices. I would go for the herborizer though, for that price, considering the XL version with water piece retails at 370€, which is like almost double of what you would pay if you get the deal you mentioned in the original post.

It's difficult to gauge the number of hits but i use half that much and it lasts me for a 20min session on my log.

I believe the Herborizer, will be just fine for 0,1g bowls... but the logs have an even smaller bowl so it's even easier to conserve your stash.

The LSV is much more durable than the Herborizer since it has the metalic body but it's not as flavourfull after a while, according to user reports, compared to the Herbo.

The bong addition is better because it allows you to filter the vapour and cool it as well... the bigger or smaller hitting capacity depends on the frequency of your hits and the amount you put in most of all.

Switching to vaporizing will allow you to conserve at least 30% since that is the amount of cannabinoids lost by combustion... and honestly, since i used it with tobacco it is much easier to not smoke for a whole day without feeling antsy which would make me use more as well.

JCat

Accessory Maker
I'm sort of with vorrange in that it's almost too good of a price to pass up on the Herborizer ... that being said ... seems a log vape would be a better fit for your desired usage as well as the fact that you are an ex-smoker you might enjoy the puffing on a log vape type experience more than the Herborizer water pipe experience ... just some thoughts to add to the mix.

JCat,

max

Out to lunch
I feel I could live without the bags and whip options if the herbo/LSV produced significantly better vapour with a bong/bubbler and was more efficient.
It won't get you "better vapor". You can get vapor as good as any provided by any model with a simple home made light bulb vape. It's just difficult to get any consistency or avoid combustion. For vapor rich hits you should consider the LSV or Herbo. The Extreme is compromised in the area of vapor/air ratio. The Herbo doesn't get a lot of interest in the US due to price and overseas shipping, but if you can get a good price it's a winner. The LSV comes from time tested, reliable SSV technology but you have to add glass.

By the way, a desktop vape is considered to be any model that uses AC for power.

max,

ucont

Thank you all for the help - really has been useful.

I have accepted the guys offer of £160 ($245) for the Herbo - which I really couldn't pass up on really at that price!
I agree with the comments about log vapes, having looking into them some more they do fit my needs perfectly... maybe more so than this herborizer, but I can't see myself being in the position to buy a full glass vape at this price again!

I shall report back and let you know how I get on with the herbo, once I get it in my mitts!

I have decided to forgo smoking weed in order to fund a vape.

ermm..yeah.. this is still the plan... but I'm unsure on how I'm going to do this once the herbo arrives! :/
Maybe I could ask him to post it 3rd class or to hold off from posting it (yeah, right)

Thanks again,

uc

ucont,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Thank you all for the help - really has been useful.

I have accepted the guys offer of £160 ($245) for the Herbo - which I really couldn't pass up on really at that price!
I agree with the comments about log vapes, having looking into them some more they do fit my needs perfectly... maybe more so than this herborizer, but I can't see myself being in the position to buy a full glass vape at this price again!

I shall report back and let you know how I get on with the herbo, once I get it in my mitts!

ermm..yeah.. this is still the plan... but I'm unsure on how I'm going to do this once the herbo arrives! :/
Maybe I could ask him to post it 3rd class or to hold off from posting it (yeah, right)

Thanks again,

uc

Just get 2g of herbs to get you started, it should last you a week unless you can't stop hitting the Herbo... :D

And consider getting in line for a HI, by the time it arrives your turn you should have the money saved for it.

Usually people who like vaporizing end up buying at least 1-2 stationary vapes and 1-2 portables at least. One for each ocasion.. hahah.

vorrange,

ucont

Just get 2g of herbs to get you started, it should last you a week unless you can't stop hitting the Herbo... :D

And consider getting in line for a HI, by the time it arrives your turn you should have the money saved for it.

Usually people who like vaporizing end up buying at least 1-2 stationary vapes and 1-2 portables at least. One for each ocasion.. hahah.

hehe, yeah I can't really lie to myself and say I wont be getting any weed for when it comes, if 2g lasts me a week then this vape will essentially pay for itself within a few weeks of use :p
I think I shall be making a few calls to see what strains are currently available. (anything other than cheese is harder to come by here, although I had some really nice white rhino the other week)

I completely forgot that I have a boat/camping holiday coming up soon.. so yeah, I can already see myself needing either a log or a portable vape soon. (I don’t like the thought of a glass herborizer on a boat... for some reason.)

I was looking at the Wychwood log, however for obvious reasons I don't think I shall be getting one, unless I can find a second hand one?
As far as the HI goes - I shall drop them an email once I have the herborizer.

ucont,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
hehe, yeah I can't really lie to myself and say I wont be getting any weed for when it comes, if 2g lasts me a week then this vape will essentially pay for itself within a few weeks of use :p
I think I shall be making a few calls to see what strains are currently available. (anything other than cheese is harder to come by here, although I had some really nice white rhino the other week)

I completely forgot that I have a boat/camping holiday coming up soon.. so yeah, I can already see myself needing either a log or a portable vape soon. (I don’t like the thought of a glass herborizer on a boat... for some reason.)

I was looking at the Wychwood log, however for obvious reasons I don't think I shall be getting one, unless I can find a second hand one?
As far as the HI goes - I shall drop them an email once I have the herborizer.

Just place a "want to buy" in the classifieds, who knows what can come up. If you're okay with a wood pipe, the vaporgenie is a sturdy choice. A Vaponic is good too. The launch box has batteries so you could run out of juice without way of charging it.

vorrange,
Top Bottom