• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

desk workers: standing

crawdad

floatin
who does this and has not returned to a chair?

KrkilF6.png

im considering it, as the day lingers i slump and im sure its not good on the back.

Vaked420

Ya I had a coworker that used a sit stand desk that basically had a crank or electric motor or something that basically could just be adjusted up and down and she almost always was standing and I think I'd have to agree that it's probably much much better on the back. I'm definitely considering requesting a sit stand desk at my new job.

Tranquility

I am of the medicine ball school of drudgery. I sit and bounce all day long. It took a few weeks to work up to that level, but it was easy to do just by switching from chair to ball in the early days.

The thing that is most amazing is how incredible the brain is. No matter how hard one bounces, reading is still just as easy (At least it seems so. Perhaps there is some internal processing I am unaware of.) as it would be sitting in a normal chair with no movement.

Now my problem goes to RSI of my trapezius from extreme mousing. I had to switch hands and have exercises to do. The lengths we go to avoid having to tar hot roofs in the summer for a living.

Enchantre

Oil Painter
Ya I had a coworker that used a sit stand desk that basically had a crank or electric motor or something that basically could just be adjusted up and down and she almost always was standing and I think I'd have to agree that it's probably much much better on the back. I'm definitely considering requesting a sit stand desk at my new job.
Mine has an electric motor, and has two settings.

I usually stand during my shift, unless I've got lots of pain, then I sit. The beauty of my sit/stand desk is it goes lower than the standard height, also - when I sit, I need it lower than average.

Many new options out there - Costco has a lift desk for this sort of thing.

crawdad

floatin
The lengths we go to avoid having to tar hot roofs in the summer for a living.

i worked outdoors from about 5-21 sunup to sundown (thanks mom!) so im an indoor worker for the rest of my career. thanks for the replies, definitely considering a full desk solution although ive seen contraptions that sit on existing desks as an option (but not going to work with my four screens).

that ball though...hmmm

herb forester

I have spinal problems that prohibit working from normal chairs, but standing at a desk/counter for more than a few minutes causes me major fatigue and knee/hip problems. My solutions are many, including multiple work surface heights (some adjustable), constant repositioning and no static poses, frequent movement and stretching breaks, weed, and this: http://www.focaluprightfurniture.com/ My favorite seats are the Mobis and Pivot, which I use with an electric-lift workstation I built myself.

Strictly standing alone at a desk really sucks long term, but a variable sit/stand perching position is much easier on joints and way more productive in general. Adjustability and variability of hip angle is crucial, and an angled footrest is imperative to make such systems work properly (activates hip flexor/extensor muscles and avoids incorrect lordosis from perching).

http://www.aeris.de/ has another great product line, but their sit/stand seat is about twice the price compared to Focal. Also Focal is run by reknown shoe designer Martin Keen. If you're near PDX or SFO, http://ergodepot.com has a couple neat retail showrooms (with very nice salespeople) where you can bring your work and hang out for a while, to try out all the products before you decide.

Btw that pic of the guy with floor tile missing is hilarious, akin to some of the kludgy solutions I've tried over the years.

Top Bottom