Dental Health/Surgery and Cannabis

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
I had oral surgery yesterday, a dental implant. I was wondering when I could start vaping again or using edibles until then. So I googled "cannabis and oral surgery" and "cannabis and dental health". I consider myself educated and well-informed, but I was quite surprised by some of the things I read.

Perhaps the most important thing I learned is that cannabis in any form alters the way our bodies react to anesthesia. There have been a couple of studies but much operating room experience that cannabis users have a higher tolerance of anesthesia and if not taken into account, can wake up during procedures or have other problems while under. We are urged to inform our medical professionals before anesthesia that we are users. It is against their oaths and privacy laws for them to share such knowledge with law enforcement or even our families unless we give permission.

There appear to be many dental/oral problems associated with regular SMOKING of cannabis, just as with smoking tobacco. But a few of the problems apparently effect non-smoking users. Dry mouth associated with cannabis use can lead to gum disease. Users get the munchies and eat cavity-inducing sweets on a regular basis. And stoned users will go to sleep without brushing or flossing, ultimately causing a multitude of problems.

So I encourage my fellow stoners to develop good oral hygiene habits.

A few references: https://www.auroraperiodontal.com/marijuana-smoking-and-oral-infections/

Last edited:

Truth Seeker

Thanks for the share! very relevant listing to your experience. There appears to be enough anedcotal evidence about receding gum lines and vaping (heat probably is not good long term w/ dry vapes).

Truth Seeker,
Reactions: Green Kiwi

Robert-in-YEG

I just had a wisdom tooth extracted. For me, a visit to dentist comes with a lot of anxiety. With this extraction, I knew it was going to be nasty. I would not have been able to get through the procedure, if not for cannabis. I had a vape, brushed my teeth, and went in.

It took nearly an hour, with the surgeon finally choosing to cut the tooth in two and a few extra X-rays. I thought he was going to break my jaw. The end result has been pretty amazing; there was very little trauma. Where the tooth was, stopped bleeding in about 30 minutes.

The tooth was extracted yesterday. Today, no pain, no swelling, no bruising. I haven't vaped today. I will take each day as it comes.

Do NOT take this as medical advice; always talk to your doctor and make informed decisions.

Robert-in-YEG

Robert-in-YEG,
Reactions: Green Kiwi

Green Kiwi

There appears to be enough anedcotal evidence about receding gum lines and vaping (heat probably is not good long term w/ dry vapes).
This is very inline with my own living a "vaping live",hot dry vapor,in my own experience,(Like airizer line up, and dry Dyna vape stainless stems, or 2 bowls in a row with an S&B portable device with the plastic cu, ((the stainless French cu doesn't have this problem imho), not only give's you a dry mouth ,but also I feel it acts like glue to your teeth, all plack stuff you don't wan't on your teeth , is sticking on ,....and..building up, you can feel it!with your tongue.:2c:.
yes, I also have had two operations, and bone crafts, and two to go because of this.😳
now my jaw and gums is recovering,I feel stronger then ever to only vape cool, and preferably moistened vapour.
I don't notice any ill effects with vaping dry with the stainless cu the crafty+, but switching to the plastic cu, my gums start to hurt 4th toke....:2c:.
and I think that's because of the vapour being a lot hotter versus stainless steel cu,:2c:for the rest I vape everything over water, and that give's even now recovering no problems what so ever.
much love and health to all!:leaf:

Top Bottom