Dangers of dab rigs?

Kins

So I've been trying dabs. I've tried the electronic rigs first. I've got the Focus V Carta V2 and Oura by Kandypens. Both of those I really don't like because I don't like the taste and they constantly burn the dabs I've tried. There is also very little lee-way (sp.) in the temperatures, they start way to high. The Carta does have the function to dial in your temp with the app though. I just haven't spent enough time with it. The Oura really doesn't hold a candle to any of the other e-rigs. It barely has any features and your paying for looks and the stupid touch sensor. We all know the touch sensor has caused more problems than it solves. There was one more e-rig that I plan on trying but not sure I'll like it.

Also I got a torch to try it that way with my existing bongs. This seems/seemed to work much better and I have successfully tasted some good dabs after heating banger for 6-10 seconds from a cold start with dab already in the banger and carb cab on. However, I don't really like the torch, it just seems really dangerous and I did get the fire alarm going in my apartment from heating up a banger to clean it. I got it really hot and it started smoking a little, but it's nice and clean that way. I mean what if you drop the torch?. I didn't but still I'm worried this could easily happen, especially if really baked. For you guys that have been doing this a while, have you ever dropped your torch?. I live in a one bedroom apartment with carpet.

Now I'm deciding whether or not to try the Switch first or just get an e-nail. I believe the enail would work just as well or better than a torch but I'm still concerned about fire dangers. Where do you put the coil when your done with a sesh?. Do you just leave it attached to your rig or what?. I saw they have stands that hold the coil and other things when not in use. There is also a little cage type thing you can get that can let you set it down without burning everything, but that looks like it gets in the way. So I'm really not sure at this point. The e-rigs seem to be the most safe but an enail seems like it would work the best for me as I'm looking for flavor and low temp dabbing. I need to hear from experienced dabbers now to help me figure out the best choice.

Kins,
Reactions: arb

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I'm not sure how many people understand that this dabbing movement was literally invented by glassblowers, they won't have the same opinions on fire safety and torch operation as your average person cause they play with fire all day long for a day job.

IMO if the idea of torches or exposed coils concerns you its best to just avoid them, no reason to deal with that anxiety when trying to unwind. That being said, most of these more "dangerous" devices simply produce better vapor.

You might consider an AVS M22 or something when their back-logs start stabilizing, a lot of people seem to be enjoying the latest iteration of that. I have one but I've not yet received the final ESCC yet.

Where do you put the coil when your done with a sesh?. Do you just leave it attached to your rig or what?

I would say MOST people that vape enough to want/need an e-nail leave them out and turned on most of the day. The coil just stays attached to the banger.

strech

Coil stays attached to my rig 24/7. Only time it comes off is during cleaning. With my use it's usually every other day.

You can always turn the coil off if your not going to use it. Heat up is usually minimal.

Kins

I'm interested to hear from people that have been dabbing for years for some self assurance. Has anyone here reading this ever dropped your coil or torch?. Maybe someone has a list for keeping safe while using these devices? The coil seems a lot more safe than a torch.

Think I'm just gonna get the e-nail it seems like the best option for me. I also get the heater coil guard and stand.

Wish I could afford both but not at this time I can't. I'm still keeping the Switch in mind for later down the road. Also wanting to try the tiny might for dry herb.

Last edited:
Kins,

Kins

Every torch I have turns off when you let go of the button.

Not this one. It stays on till you turn the gas off with the little knob. One button for ignition and the other is a knob to turn the gas on or off or up and down. You turn it away from you to turn it off and turn it towards you to turn it up. So you turn the gas on then press the ignition button, torn stays lit till you turn off the gas with the little knob.

Kins,

bizwaxzion

Enigmatic Cannabist
Hot surfaces/tools are dangerous - do not put them in your lap ;) Most torches will turn off if dropped - but the blazer (and it's cousins) don't. I've had mine for years and never dropped it - and I 'one hand' it all the time. My enail is generally on for hours at a time, danger comes from reaching over/around the bucket. The only hot item I've dropped (more correct 'had escape') are hot ruby spheres. These can pop out sometimes if qtipping too vigorously.

strech

Everything comes with a risk.

If your scared your going to drop or misuse your torch get one with a button trigger.

I have used the above in many different commercial and personal use situations. Works great and will last many years under not so well care.

strech,

Kins

I still think this one is defective. I also have a stach rio that has it's own butane torch, that one works better and doesn't flicker or smell when I turn it on. If I can get a replacement I'll try this again. Otherwise I will just have to throw it out or get rid of it.

Kins,

510MOD

Manufacturer
I agree with everything posted above. These guys are wise. The 710coils coil clips also help with the enails to keep your coil and bucket seated tightly together. Instead of a stand or shield for the coil, I just use a 14mm glass adapter that works as a stand.

The torch method gets old after a while for most. Some love the torch...but in reality it's a little less civilized! If your going to be doing this for months on months or years do you want to be buying butane every 2-4 weeks or stocking up on it every few months and chasing down the best deal every 3 months? Do you want the extra steps of lighting a torch and holding/directing the flame everytime and then waiting for a cool down period? Do you want to have to refill your torch every week or two? All this goes away when you have an enail. Some people want that ritual or just prefer torches and are comfortable with the added risks that a torch presents. No right or wrong, but things to think about on your journey.

For portables, I am a bit biased admittedly so and hopefully I am not breaking any rules here, but the AVS M22, Divine Tribe v4 crucible, HVT Sai and Sequoia, the TRVP are the best bang for your buck. Add a bottomless banger and a wooden sleeve and your protected from the hot banger or coil issue. Even without the bottomless banger or wood sleeve, these devices used as wax pens tend to shut off before they can get hot enough on their external parts to even feel uncomfortable to hold. The switch operates very much the same so it would also be a good option.

ClearBlueLou

unbearably light in the being....
Umm...does *anyone* handle a hot coil/banger? Can’t imagine how someone could DROP something too hot to touch

ClearBlueLou,
Top Bottom