Cutting glass tube

CurryLeafTreehugger

CurryLeafTreehugger,
Reactions: snamuh

snamuh

ghost
So I've broken all but one of my glass stems for my log vape. Found these on Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/ALINK-Smoo...=glass+straw+alink+14mm&qid=1582903895&sr=8-3

And I got them and they fit fine BUT they're REALLY REALLY long. @9" long, they are almost twice as long as my old stems @5".

Is there a safe and easy way to cut these in half and polish the ends if necessary? Or must torches be involved?
I never could manage a cut glass stems with a dremel or other methods i saw online.

For polishing the ends and smoothing them out a robust dab torch is usually good enough. (For some glass)

snamuh,

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
Is there a safe and easy way to cut these in half and polish the ends if necessary? Or must torches be involved?

A triangular diamond coated needle file will do the job! Mark the position for the cut with a sharp scratch. Now get the diamond file wet and add some drops of water onto the tube (to bind glass dust) and file away. Once you're half way through, grab the tube at both ends and break it apart. If it doesn't give yet, with a bit of pressure applied... file a bit more. It'll break along the stress line then and relatively evenly. Takes only a couple of minutes.

https://www.amazon.com/Rannb-Triangle-Diamond-Jewelry-Woodworking/dp/B07GB1YQFZ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1UU9U40TOWIXO&keywords=diamond+file+triangle&qid=1582904813&sprefix=diamond+file+trian,aps,234&sr=8-1

Then get yourself some wet/dry sandpaper. 80grit, 240grit and 800grit should do. Wet the sandpaper and the tube again, and placing the 80grit flat on the table, move the cut ends of the tube on the paper in a circular motion, till its quite even. Then refine with the higher grit sandpaper, until its smooth enough. You can also flame polish after this, but it's hardly necessary.
Again... don't forget adding a few drops of water, as glass dust is nasty.

Here is an 18mm cone joint tube, I shortened to fit a S&B capsule for use in a Splinter:
The Splinter by RBT

Last edited:

Deleted Member 1643

Another method is to use a circular diamond-coated disk in your drill. (Dremel sells them but charges way too much.) If you use one, make the cut under a little water to prevent glass dust. You can then roughly polish by holding the cut end against the flat disk as you power the drill. Easy and quick. Frequently cut glass joints this way for DIY "hot glass" vapes.

CurryLeafTreehugger

Another method is to use a circular diamond-coated disk in your drill. (Dremel sells them but charges way too much.) If you use one, make the cut under a little water to prevent glass dust. You can then roughly polish by holding the cut end against the flat disk as you power the drill. Easy and quick. Frequently cut glass joints this way for DIY "hot glass" vapes.

So what is this "circular diamond-coated disk" of which you speak? Home Depot link maybe?

I actually have a Dremel tool. And a mult-tool and a Dewalt drill. And stuff.

CurryLeafTreehugger,

Hippie

I picked up a few different diamond cutting discs in a selection pack from the auction site, like this
https://ebay.us/D00uh6 , for cutting and grinding back.
And polish the edges with a normal red grinding disc and wet n dry sandpaper

As said you need to take safety precautions with regard to the glass dust before you begin.
I do my cutting outside with goggles and mask on and have a bowl of water ready to dip the glass in regularly (and give it a good clean before any testing)

Deleted Member 1643

I picked up a few different diamond cutting discs in a selection pack from the auction site, like this
https://ebay.us/D00uh6

Yes, that's right. Added a bunch for a few dollars on the last Fasttech order but can no longer find the link. (You can still buy singles for about two dollars each). They're basically disposable, so you don't want to overspend.

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Actually i find it easier to cut if i rotate the tube agains the file. I chuck it inside speed controlled drill on slowest ,with some tape on it as a buffer and to prevent scarring from the chuck and just put the diamond file where i want the cut,it gets much more even that way.

Top Bottom