Custom Glass 101 - a worked example?

Perfect_Speed4069

I am the beetle in a box that only you can see
I hear a number of folks talking about custom glass, sharing designs and ideas, and getting things made to order - by approaching local glass blowers, or occasionally international/Chinese companies.

I have no idea where to begin with this. Can someone talk me through the kind of process involved? Step by step?

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
I haven't worked with anyone internationally, but I have ordered customs from a few artists here in the US. It was really easy. I just direct messaged them, usually on Instagram, and asked if they have custom requests open. Then we would chat about what I wanted usually a tweak on something they already had made before. They usually then give an estimate and I ask them to move forward.

Eventually the item is shown to me in photos and then sent to my house after payment.

Sometimes the order of payment and work is different. Sometimes there is a long waiting list. It really depends on the artist.

I think the cheap glass thread has some people's experience working with larger shops overseas.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Find a glass blower that does custom pieces. Check out their work. Send them the image specifying dimensions and glass thickness.

Use some image editing sofware to mark the info on the image itself rather than trying to explain what's what.

Ask and they'll tell you if they wanna make it. That's all there is to it really. They might suggest some changes to deal with limitations you' re not aware of.

If you need to show them an example of something, try to find it in their own work. eg. if you want a certain style of mouthpiece, maybe they have made it before.

btw, that looks like a fancy hash combustion device!

Last edited:

tinctorus

Accessory Maker
Good shout. I've one of his mass market tasty tubes. Also thanks for noticing my location.
If you order through good vibes it might be a bit, he's doing a j hook for me, he said 12 weeks in December but I guess he's running slow s he just told me it'll be a few months longer, I guess he's alot busier than I had realized

@Cheebsy you think you're outnumbered on here? 😂 It's funny cause everyone I've talked to recently on here and discord has been in the UK or Europe somewhere, even Australia 😂
The shipping to you guys is just silly, I got quoted 40 bucks to ship a less than 1/2lb package

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
If you order through good vibes it might be a bit, he's doing a j hook for me, he said 12 weeks in December but I guess he's running slow s he just told me it'll be a few months longer, I guess he's alot busier than I had realized

Yeah I was going to say, when you said soon, be prepared for delays ... Typical of most custom work from glass artists, but if you keep an eye out on the regular weekly drops, of his own design etc that do take requests, you may be able to snag one that you like sooner that is already made... Regardless from where custom work really does always take a lot of patience in my experience

2pumpchump

kinda the place for this post as its half custom Maby

so i want to bring up having your glass repaired and altered in the proses ...

HAS ANYONE SENT A PEACE TO BE REPARED?

2pumpchump,

2pumpchump

i asked becouse i was thinking of him do me some WPAs . but biger fish to fry ....my megacell to be exact the 19mm wip port split

2pumpchump,

Shit Snacks

i asked becouse i was thinking of him do me some WPAs . but biger fish to fry ....my megacell to be exact the 19mm wip port split

The waitlist for GVB custom takes much longer because of the maintenance... If you really wanted it it would be better to get on sooner than later but it's going to be a while anyway... I have sent pieces to him for salvage before, and I have a updog recycler I unfortunately cracked that he will fix for me eventually when I want to pay and send it

2pumpchump

The waitlist for GVB custom takes much longer because of the maintenance... If you really wanted it it would be better to get on sooner than later but it's going to be a while anyway... I have sent pieces to him for salvage before, and I have a updog recycler I unfortunately cracked that he will fix for me eventually when I want to pay and send it
to clear things up the WPA set was going to be from GVB ..... the mega cell repair vs a new 1 is from a different place iv been seeing i think thats all they do is repair . i figur its about the same price BUT IF THEY CAN RELACR THE PORT LIKE I GOT PLANED it would be worth it .. and a neat Suprise lol.
if i have to replace a 19mm port why not put a 34mm port ?

Last edited:
2pumpchump,
Reactions: tinctorus

Shit Snacks

to clear things up the WPA set was going to be from GVB ..... the mega cell repair vs a new 1 is from a different place iv been seeing i think thats all they do is repair . i figur its about the same price BUT IF THEY CAN RELACR THE PORT LIKE I GOT PLANED it would be worth it .. and a neat Suprise lol.
if i have to replace a 19mm port why not put a 34mm port ?

No need to clarify I understood that, I was just saying since it was semi rerelevant

tinctorus

Accessory Maker
Yeah I put in my order around November

tinctorus

Accessory Maker
Nice you don't pay until it's ready at least
Yeah he's doing a whole matching yellow/black Wutang theme that will match the rest of my Wutang theme
He's doing a black/yellow j hook, 18mm killer and 18mm killer wpa

I had a guy make me a custom 6"silicone mold for resin and dabrealm tools is making me a yellow/black resin stand for my baller, it's going to have a threaded insert to thread on the tko or CH post

Top Bottom