Curiosity landing on Mars in less than an hour!

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Curiosity lands at 1:31am, Eastern time. Is anyone else watching? :)

Vicki,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I've read it takes a few more days before the HD images reach earth.

It's still pretty cool though. Perhaps we can work on a FC-rocket once that bubbler is finished. Last I heard Martian law is pretty lenient towards Marijuana, & that red sun must be great for the flowering stages of growing :haw:

OhTheAgony,
Reactions: Vicki

t-dub

Vapor Sloth

Curiosity's Surroundings This is one of the first images taken by NASA's Curiosity rover, which landed on Mars the evening of Aug. 5 PDT (morning of Aug. 6 EDT). It was taken through a "fisheye" wide-angle lens on the left "eye" of a stereo pair of Hazard-Avoidance cameras on the left-rear side of the rover. The image is one-half of full resolution. The clear dust cover that protected the camera during landing has been sprung open. Part of the spring that released the dust cover can be seen at the bottom right, near the rover's wheel.

On the top left, part of the rover's power supply is visible.

Some dust appears on the lens even with the dust cover off.

The cameras are looking directly into the sun, so the top of the image is saturated. Looking straight into the sun does not harm the cameras. The lines across the top are an artifact called "blooming" that occurs in the camera's detector because of the saturation.

As planned, the rover's early engineering images are lower resolution. Larger color images from other cameras are expected later in the week when the rover's mast, carrying high-resolution cameras, is deployed.

Image Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech

t-dub,

StickyShisha2

Check this out. The orbiter around Mars got this picture during the landing:
673720main_PIA15980-43_428-321.jpg

673733main_PIA15978-43_428-321.jpg

weedemon

enthusiast
ahh that makes sense. and I watched the tail end of it while at work last night :) very cool i got to see it some. missed the actual landing though lol :(

weedemon,

Jurassic

Forgive my ignorance, but didn't we already have a mars rover on that planet? What's the differences of curiosity?

Jurassic,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Forgive my ignorance, but didn't we already have a mars rover on that planet? What's the differences of curiosity?

Learn About Me: Curiosity

msl20100913_D2010_0910_D6147-fi.jpg

Meet Curiosity. Curiosity is a car-sized, six-wheeled robot destined for Gale Crater on Mars.

Mission name: Mars Science Laboratory
Rover name: Curiosity rover
Size: About the size of a small SUV -- 10 feet long (not including the arm), 9 feet wide and 7 feet tall -- (about 3 meters long (not including the arm), 2.7 meters wide, and 2.2 meters tall), or about the height of a basketball player.
Arm Reach: About 7 feet (2.2 meters)
Weight: 900 kilograms (2,000 pounds)
Features: Geology lab, rocker-bogie suspension, rock-vaporizing laser and lots of cameras
Mission: To search areas of Mars for past or present conditions favorable for life, and conditions capable of preserving a record of life

vapirtoo

Shee-it ! Those rims and spaghetti knobby tires.
This ride has major martian bling.
I can't wait to see the hi-res pictures.

vapirtoo,
Reactions: t-dub

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Shee-it ! Those rims and spaghetti knobby tires.
This ride has major martian bling.
I can't wait to see the hi-res pictures.

It has 17 cameras :haw: The first full 360* panorama should be coming soon. The mast should be raised by now.

t-dub,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
How is it a waste of funds when it created hundreds of American jobs? Curiosity is 100% American made. Something like that is never a waste. Outsourcing is a waste of funds, giving jobs to other countries when they should be kept here, helping our own people. I commend NASA for keeping Curiosity 100% American made.

Top Bottom