'curing' for more cbn and less thc

fuby

Hello,

By accident i vaped above the CBN boiling point yesterday and i noticed a big difference. I looked up what was different and discovered it might have something to do with the absence of CBN. After reading about this cannabiniod i am very enthusiast about it sedative effects.

I bough the strain cheese in bulk. Its VERY potent. A little to potent for me to be honest. I know very little about curing but i start to have the idea to let a part of this strain age a bit so some THC will go 'bad' and become CBN.

Its stored in a glass jar that can be sealed. My general idea now is to open it once or twice a day and let is air for a bit.

Anyone with some experience that can give me some pointers or share a experience?

Vaporware

I think opening it that often is going to dry it out a lot...I have old (years old) stuff where I think there’s a lot more CBN now, but it was all stored in a cvault with a boveda pack and rarely opened.

I’m not sure what would be the best way to accelerate the process, but if you keep it long enough you may not have to do anything special.

Used2use

Sometimes to stupid to become a fool
Simple way would be to let it sit in the sunlight (i 'accidentially' let a jar sit in the window for a year, that was too much :zzz: ) - UV light, temperature and oxygen are the main factors.
CBN is 'just' one Hydrogen atom less in the same molecule structure than THC, so it needs Oxygen to oxidize it to h2o...

Vaporware

Simple way would be to let it sit in the sunlight (i 'accidentially' let a jar sit in the window for a year, that was too much :zzz: ) - UV light, temperature and oxygen are the main factors.
CBN is 'just' one Hydrogen atom less in the same molecule structure than THC, so it needs Oxygen to oxidize it to h2o...

Good to know; I did open mine occasionally, but it was often several weeks between openings, and I think if I was opening it multiple times a day it would have ended up pretty dry pretty quickly.

Any idea how often it should be opened if you want to accelerate the process? Weekly maybe? Every few days?

Vaporware,
Reactions: Used2use

shredder

Hello,

By accident i vaped above the CBN boiling point yesterday and i noticed a big difference. I looked up what was different and discovered it might have something to do with the absence of CBN. After reading about this cannabiniod i am very enthusiast about it sedative effects.

I bough the strain cheese in bulk. Its VERY potent. A little to potent for me to be honest. I know very little about curing but i start to have the idea to let a part of this strain age a bit so some THC will go 'bad' and become CBN.

Its stored in a glass jar that can be sealed. My general idea now is to open it once or twice a day and let is air for a bit.

Anyone with some experience that can give me some pointers or share a experience?

Here ya go...

https://www.catscientific.com/decarboxylating-cannabis/

https://prohbtd.com/cannabinol-cbn

chris 71

Check out this thread. There is a very interesting chart in it that shows the amount of cbn in smoked vs vaped cannabis samples http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/study-shows-that-446°-is-the-optimal-vape-temperature.26431/ this is what i posted in it , i am very interested in cbn as well . from what i can gather from reading this and the last link posted in this thread that if you really want cbn smoking is the best way to get it unfortunatly

i havnt had a chance to read all of the linked info and try to digest it yet , but what i find very interesting is the CBN in smoked cannabis . i recently became interested in trying to find a way to increase CBN .

CBN gets a bad rap , as a degradation canabiniod but , if you read the link below it appears to be just as effective as THC for pain relief sleep and more , without the psychoactive effect of THC . personally i enjoy the psychoactive effects just not the anxious effect that it can sometimes bring . and i dont find CBD as effective as i need for this .

according to this , https://www.steephill.com/blogs/34/Cannabinol-(CBD):-A-Sleeping-Synergy

CBN has similar effects of 5 to 10 mg of diazepam . this is of great interest to me and possibly many others .
nothing works quite like benzos for immediate relief of anxiety in my experience . but they are extremely addictive and doctors are more and more reluctant to prescribe them .

the difference in the CBN results in the smoked vs vaped are striking . and these results are from cannabis that doesnt appear to contain CBN from old , aged or overly ripened samples .

it leads me to believe the CBN in this study must have been a direct result of the heat from smoking causing the high CBN values . i can only imagine that if the test was performed with cannabis that was purposely over ripened or aged it would increase the CBN content and levels would be even higher .

for me , i think the reward ratios of smoking for the possible medical benefits gained from the CBN out weigh the risk . also sleep .

i find this for me personally very interesting and useful info ....

Last edited:

Used2use

Sometimes to stupid to become a fool
@VaporWare i'd say just use a large jar and only fill it 1/4 should leave enough oxygen for a while. Honestly i don't care to much about humitidy since vaping, those 58/62% boveda packs are to much for my likings...
@chris 71 interesting, that might explain to some degree different vape signatures - my conjecture is that flame inhaling vapes as sticky bricks convert more to cbn due to the higher energy of increased CO2 in the mixture and/or more CO2=less decarboxylation...

Vaporware

Humidity is probably more of an issue for me than most people. It’s been between 4 and 17% (maybe even lower in the house due to AC), with an average of 9% today! Things can get pretty dry pretty fast here. ;)

fuby

Thanks everyone for that fast answers/suggestions. I am having trouble understanding some posted links due to translation. When i got a little more time ill give it another try. Thanks again!

fuby,

looney2nz

Research Geek, Mad Scientist
Humidity is probably more of an issue for me than most people. It’s been between 4 and 17% (maybe even lower in the house due to AC), with an average of 9% today! Things can get pretty dry pretty fast here. ;)

Holy Crap! No humidifier? Wood must go crazy in your place :(

I try to keep my place around 45-50% RH (musical instruments, sinuses).

Vaporware

Holy Crap! No humidifier? Wood must go crazy in your place :(

I try to keep my place around 45-50% RH (musical instruments, sinuses).

I probably should run a humidifier all the time, but the small ones kinda’ suck and are a pain to keep refilling and maintaining all the time. Maybe I’ll look at a better model again when I have some extra money to spend on it.

I’m sure my guitars (and probably sinuses) would appreciate it, but they seem to be okay in cases at least...no high end acoustics yet or I’d be a lot more worried.

looney2nz

Research Geek, Mad Scientist
I probably should run a humidifier all the time, but the small ones kinda’ suck and are a pain to keep refilling and maintaining all the time. Maybe I’ll look at a better model again when I have some extra money to spend on it.

I’m sure my guitars (and probably sinuses) would appreciate it, but they seem to be okay in cases at least...no high end acoustics yet or I’d be a lot more worried.

Either that or get one of those Rainsong composite guitars. :)

If you own the place, you can get a humidifier to hook into your HVAC.

Indigo

Here in Scotland we've been getting humidity in the nineties. I'm in my partner's flat, which runs cool, and the hygrometer on th bookcase across the room says 75% humidity, 17°C, and I'm still sitting by a small humidifier hoping my nose and eyes will stop feeling so dry soon. Autoimmune disease sucks. The instruments aren't nearby, don't worry, and that's why we got a hydrometer to check they weren't getting soaked.

I found that you can get diffusers up to 800ml/27oz, and they are much easier to clean than the bigger humidifiers. Since I don't want to be breathing mould, and don't need that amount of humidity anyway, that's what I went for. Definitely read reviews of humidifiers and pay attention to cleaning. Also don't diffuse essential oils if you have pets around, as I learned yesterday. Well, cats and birds, can't remember about dogs.

Top Bottom