• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

COVID-19 News

Status
Not open for further replies.

florduh

What the mainstream press keeps forgetting to tell people is that it can take the government days, if not weeks, to record a COVID-19 death.

And what this blogger seems to forget is that deaths lag cases. We're still seeing 9000+ new cases per day in Floriduh. That's down a bit from the middle of the month when we had a few days with 11,000+. Hopefully he's right and it's starting to level out a bit. But there's still a lot of deaths in our future when 9,000+ are confirmed infected every day. Regardless of when exactly these victims died, Floriduh had a really shitty July. And we're not even close to being out of the woods yet. This was a really weird thing for the blogger to be whining about, honestly. Local media has explained the "lags" in reporting too:

Florida reports 253 new coronavirus deaths in third straight daily record

Arguing over when exactly the "peak" hit seems a bit premature when Florida is seeing headlines like this:

At least 50 Florida hospital ICUs hit capacity

As of 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, 51 hospitals in the state were out of space in their ICUs, according to the Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA). This number doesn't count the hospitals and medical centers in Florida that don't have ICU capability to begin with.

Miami-Dade and Broward, the two most populous counties in the Sunshine State, reported a combined 14 at-capacity ICUs.

ACHA data shows only 1000 open ICU beds available across Florida, just over 16 percent of the state's total number of ICU beds.

ClearBlueLou

unbearably light in the being....
For a change of pace, but still on topic: no one talks about the recovery rate, have you noticed?

een watching it for a while...in my local, we now have ~2000 cases, a scant handful of fatalities...but NO ONE HAS RECOVERED. SINCE MARCH, I’ve been watching. For the hard of thinking, this is one of the truly scary things about this mess: cases that stay sick keep the healthcare system clogged, cause it to back up quickly when there’s a surge in new cases, keep the need for personnel and PPE high - which keeps the demand for PPE, personnel, ventilators, etc *high*.

~75% of the confirmed cases in the US are...still...sick. Worldwide, it’s slightly less than half...and this doesn’t even get into systemic damage, associated problems, eventual disabilities in consequence: this is confirmed cases who have not become virus-free, despite months of treatment, with and without hospitalization.

I’d love to see one of the “Covid debunkers” even acknowledge this...and try to account for it.

@ginolicious, pulling for you to come out on top of this...

florduh

I love this thread... but fuck these articles create so much anxiety in me.

Sorry. It's a really shitty situation.

Do your best to practice social distancing, wear a mask when that's not possible, wash your hands. Being smart about all this tends to help my anxiety greatly. Your individual risk is low, but I believe it's important to understand that there are abnormal health risks right now.

Maybe look into improving immune function by eating well, ensuring you're not vitamin D deficient, and performing some exercise. Oh and maybe avoid astral sex with witches for the time being. Though the science on demon sperm is hardly settled at this point.

zor

That facility was the source of many deaths and seemingly terrible handling and disclosure of the disease, but what is alarming is the reinfection. It makes me wonder what kind of outcomes will present from the vaccines, and what further health issues may develop from those who are infected multiple times.

Tranquility

Put your mind at ease, the former science connecting Covid and 5G has been withdrawn.
Paper blaming COVID-19 on 5G technology withdrawn

Some claim it was the worst paper in 2020:
Worst paper of 2020? 5G and Coronavirus induction

The peer-reviewed journal that let that crap through claims there's a lot of papers right now as excuse.
5G-COVID-19 Paper Slipped Through the Net

The response to our request for comment from editor in chief Pio Conti reads a bit like a Mad Libs of excuses we hear from publishers when something goes wrong. Read carefully for:

Edit:
When the vaccine comes, will you take it?
Max Minute: CBS News Poll Says 70% Of Americans Would Wait To Get COVID-19
Vaccine, Or Wouldn’t Get One At All

Personally, I'm all in on vaccines and when they get one where the risk is below the risk to my health cohort from Covid, I'll take it. But, I ain't gonna push anyone out of the way to get in front of the line.

Last edited:
Tranquility,
  • Wow
Reactions: florduh

florduh

Hopefully Governor DeSantis will ask the hundreds of thousands of Floridians with coronavirus to direct their coughs eastward this weekend. We really need to push that hurricane off the coast. Can't really afford a natural disaster right now.

Florida breaks daily coronavirus deaths record for 4th straight day

This survey demonstrates my concern about the economy pretty perfectly. In short, there will be no economic recovery until we get the pandemic under control:

Fewer Americans say they would resume daily activities as coronavirus cases increase, survey finds

• 23% of Americans said in the July 9 survey that they would go to a concert, compared with 30% in June.
  • In the July 9 survey, 34% of Americans said they would fly on an airplane, while that number was at 39% in June.
  • 54% of Americans said they would attend a funeral, according to the July 16 survey, a 5 percentage point drop from June.
  • Only 30% of Americans said that they would go to the movies in the July 16 survey, compared with 36% in June.
  • There was a 5 percentage drop to 50% in July among those who said they would eat at a restaurant.
  • 40% of Americans said in the July 16 survey they would attend a wedding, while 47% said they would in the June survey.
  • Only 27% in the July 9 survey said they would attend a sporting event, a 5 percentage point drop from June.

Tranquility

This survey demonstrates my concern about the economy pretty perfectly. In short, there will be no economic recovery until we get the pandemic under control:

Fewer Americans say they would resume daily activities as coronavirus cases increase, survey finds

• 23% of Americans said in the July 9 survey that they would go to a concert, compared with 30% in June.
  • In the July 9 survey, 34% of Americans said they would fly on an airplane, while that number was at 39% in June.
  • 54% of Americans said they would attend a funeral, according to the July 16 survey, a 5 percentage point drop from June.
  • Only 30% of Americans said that they would go to the movies in the July 16 survey, compared with 36% in June.
  • There was a 5 percentage drop to 50% in July among those who said they would eat at a restaurant.
  • 40% of Americans said in the July 16 survey they would attend a wedding, while 47% said they would in the June survey.
  • Only 27% in the July 9 survey said they would attend a sporting event, a 5 percentage point drop from June.
So, if 70% won't take a vaccine, what is it they think will get the pandemic under control? (Other than letting it completely loose until herd immunity.)

Tranquility,

florduh

So, if 70% won't take a vaccine, what is it they think will get the pandemic under control? (Other than letting it completely loose until herd immunity.)

Other polls have shown closer to 50% are willing to take it. I'd guess many of the anti-vaxxers are also part of the cohort who are going about their daily activities now anyway. There are other countries who have their outbreaks under control without a vaccine. All I know is the economy isn't recovering when 50% of Americans won't go to a restaurant, 60% won't fly etc.

Just 50% of Americans plan to get a COVID-19 vaccine. Here’s how to win over the rest

Within days of the first confirmed novel coronavirus case in the United States on 20 January, antivaccine activists were already hinting on Twitter that the virus was a scam—part of a plot to profit from an eventual vaccine.
Nearly half a year later, scientists around the world are rushing to create a COVID-19 vaccine. An approved product is still months, if not years, away and public health agencies have not yet mounted campaigns to promote it. But health communication experts say they need to start to lay the groundwork for acceptance now, because the flood of misinformation from antivaccine activists has surged.

Tranquility

But health communication experts say they need to start to lay the groundwork for acceptance now, because the flood of misinformation from antivaccine activists has surged.
Acceptance of what? Vaccines in general? It's not like they have a real thing that can be discussed as yet.

Have they made a determination if low risk children will be forced to take the vaccine in order to protect high risk people? Are we going to address the structural disparity of Covid effect among the races? Will we make this another political fiasco? Maybe, before they start laying groundwork, they should start thinking about what they want to achieve as the eventual vaccine is laid out over time.

Then, we're still left with the deaths that happen every year with upper respiratory disease. Of course, either the media does not want to panic people over that, or, people are not good at assessing risk.

Fact Check: CDC has not stopped reporting flu deaths, and this season's numbers are typical

Edit:
As to the race issue, do we give this novel vaccine to populations disproportionately affected? While there is a suggestion Blacks *don't* suffer more (as said in a previous link reported), there is certainly a suggestion they do. Should they get the vaccine first? Is that a good or a bad thing?

86332910.jpg

Yes, she said it, but, for good reasons:
Fact check: Melinda Gates said black people deserve priority access to a COVID-19 vaccine

Last edited:
Tranquility,

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
260 sick at camp: CDC says children susceptible to COVID-19

A new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention details a large coronavirus outbreak at an overnight camp in Georgia that resulted in 260 sick campers and staffers. Researchers say this seems to indicate children are susceptible to COVID-19 and have the ability to spread it.

But yesterday the demented prick in the white house said they're mostly immune . . . did he lie again?

florduh

As a resident of a Red State, I really hope this isn't true. Unfortunately it makes all too much sense, given the way things played out.

Kushner's coronavirus team shied away from a national strategy, believing that the virus was hitting Democratic states hardest and that they could blame governors, report says

Members of Jared Kushner's coronavirus task force considered a national-scale testing plan early in the US's coronavirus outbreak.

However, according to a new Vanity Fair report, the plan never came to be, partly because the task force thought it would be better politically to hold off.

The logic, a source told Vanity Fair, was that the virus would hit Democratic-voting areas hardest and that the damage could be blamed on governors instead.

In March and early April, Kushner, a senior White House adviser, led a task force, parallel to the White House's official efforts, to devise a plan to accelerate coronavirus testing and supply chains nationwide.

Ultimately, that was abandoned, and President Donald Trump shifted much of the responsibility for controlling outbreaks to individual states.

A public-health expert who was in regular contact with Kushner's team told Vanity Fair's Katherine Eban that political reasoning may have influenced the decision.

"The political folks believed that because it was going to be relegated to Democratic states, that they could blame those governors, and that would be an effective political strategy," the unnamed expert said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom