COVID-19 News

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
Here we were at the start of the ramp up of democrat crazy of doing the Stalinist and Taliban thing of destroying statues.

The taliban get rid of anything not agreeing them and any humans they choose, Stalin was a maniac issuing orders and assassinating anyone who looked at him funny, but a large peaceful group of people would rather not have statues celebrating people who fought in favour of slavery. They might topple a few statues of people who fought in favour of slavery.

Theres a bit of difference there, to say the least.

EmDeemo,

kimura

@Tranquility There you go again dude. Another straw man. I never said Trump was racist. All I know is he acts like one. Maybe for the same reason GOP pays lip service to Christians. Who knows. But if you listen to all of his comments after Charlottesville together, in context, like I did, when it happened live on tv, you will see him make a clear effort to create a false equivalence between the two general “sides” of the protests. Only one side carried Nazi flags, chanted “Jews will not replace us”, and murdered a woman.

Like I said - bad faith. Take your shit somewhere else

EDIT: wow now you are comparing taking down statues of traitors to ethnic cleansing. Can’t make this shit up

florduh

Some Floriduh (and California) News:
Disney theme park staff worry about Covid-19: 'I can't bring it back home'

Disney World fully reopened all four of its theme parks within its Florida resort last week, even as cases of coronavirus surged, making it one of the world’s hotspots for daily increases.

Undaunted guests who choose to visit Disney are greeted with a disclaimer on its website: “By visiting Walt Disney World Resort you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to Covid-19.”

For Disney’s workers, many may feel little choice but to assume the risks of returning to the world’s most visited theme park, with some expressing fears of the Covid-19 risk, and for their livelihoods.

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Politics are heavily affecting the US response to the pandemic, so some related discussion is inevitable here. Please do stay on topic though. It's easy to go down the rabbit hole in a hurry.

I've been appreciating all of the insightful and civil discussion. It's helpful in making some sense of this insane situation.

Last edited:

Krazy

With a President who suggests injecting bleach as cure, or maybe swallowing some LED's or some other blather.
FakeNews!

Trump never said to swallow LEDs. That would be crazy talk. Trump said that the light should be put inside the body “either through the skin or in some other way.” Clearly you shine a high powered UV light either down your throat or up your bum.

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
FakeNews!

Trump never said to swallow LEDs. That would be crazy talk. Trump said that the light should be put inside the body “either through the skin or in some other way.” Clearly you shine a high powered UV light either down your throat or up your bum.

Its not science, but it is a scientific fact -

This is weirdest thing for me to ever feel positive and happy about? Those words are obviously way to strong, but my first thought upon reading this was a fist pump and 'at last!' :) -

Trump concedes pandemic to 'get worse before it gets better'

" Mr Trump also asked all Americans to wear face coverings, saying "they'll have an effect" and show "patriotism". "

Thats all it woulda taken months ago. No disinfectant. No umming and ahhing.

EDIT: Its like thanking someone for not taking a shit on your carpet. Such a low bar.

EDIT 2: Ooof. That six weeks. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/embed/p08cx0s7/53494766

EDIT 3: Our chief buffoon is giving it all "Back to normality back Christmas". So many buffoons.
Coronavirus: 'Infection here for many years to come'

Last edited:

CANtalk

Tranquility

Shows a dual presentation of the disease and how different interventions at different stages affect differently.
Preliminary Studies of a New COVID-19 Treatment Show There May Be No 'Silver Bullet'

When we do actually talk about assigning blame, one excuse to those who sent potentially infectious people back to nursing homes will be, "we had to send them somewhere". Here's a place they could have used instead:
Bill de Blasio's 'crucial' $52 million coronavirus hospital treated 79 patients

Of course, that horrible, terrible, no good choice probably had no effect on what happened:

Edit:
I hope this is just a correlation is not causation thing. (Maybe it is just a relationship to age. Fingers crossed.)
Men who have completely lost their hair are 40% more likely to end up in hospital with the virus, study claims
31059236-8548041-image-a-18_1595420874881.jpg

Last edited:
Tranquility,

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
EmDeemo,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

florduh

Edit:
I hope this is just a correlation is not causation thing. (Maybe it is just a relationship to age. Fingers crossed.)
Men who have completely lost their hair are 40% more likely to end up in hospital with the virus, study claims

I remember there also being some speculation that a higher testosterone level increases your chances of having a bad time with COVID. Balding men often have increased levels of androgens.

That's sort of the problem with the whole "low risk people can just go about their lives" plan. If we subtract every American who's fat, bald, pre-diabetic, old, asthmatic etc, or lives with someone who is.... that leaves about 20 people :lol:

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Also always keep an eye on the words „may”, „could“, „study suggests“ or (the worst) „study claims“.

But yeah, bald men often are not only bald, but also just... old. Surprising.

Vitolo

Vaporist
I could connect it to covid,
But you have thought plenty about Covid as you wrote the post, so there is some continuity here.
I was in the Post office today, where they have become one of the strictest adherents to social distancing and practices..
In the line this unkempt fellow rips off his mask and gets on his cell phone and was screaming at the other end of the call...
one could actually see spittle.... everyone was looking at one another...
I did not care if I was loved... and said out loud (plenty loud)..
"Hey man.... if your not going to keep your mask on, and want to spray your spit all over the place, you need to step the fuck outside."
All on the line cheered and nodded as a couple blurted out: "Yeah!"
Post is Covid related for sure!

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
But you have thought plenty about Covid as you wrote the post, so there is some continuity here.
I was in the Post office today, where they have become one of the strictest adherents to social distancing and practices..
In the line this unkempt fellow rips off his mask and gets on his cell phone and was screaming at the other end of the call...
one could actually see spittle.... everyone was looking at one another...
I did not care if I was loved... and said out loud (plenty loud)..
"Hey man.... if your not going to keep your mask on, and want to spray your spit all over the place, you need to step the fuck outside."
All on the line cheered and nodded as a couple blurted out: "Yeah!"
Post is Covid related for sure!

I appreciated your post and considering whats going on, making sure you speak up in public. Its a dicey thing to do.

I think the mods chose well here personally tho :) And if said mod reads this, I think a separate thread is probably a terrible idea :D

EmDeemo,
Reactions: Vitolo

Tranquility

Russians clam a vaccine that has passed clinical trial and is ready to be used. (And, is being used by their military.)
Russian Defense Ministry Says New Coronavirus Vaccine Is Ready and Safe

Anyone have a "shocked face" I can borrow?
Alas, Cities Finally Confirm What We Already Knew Regarding the Spike in COVID Cases
But, who cares? Even if true, we made the choice to allow them. It's not like the genie can be put back in the bottle.

All animals are equal, but, some animals are more equal than others.
D.C. mayor exempts many city and federal government workers from strict new mask order
Basically, everyone who leaves their house must have a mask on. Except, city and federal workers on the job. The article didn't say, but I suspect some of why the order was worded as it was reported is because of the weird law interaction of DC locals and the feds.

India loves them some hydroxychloriquine.
This Indian slum contained a possible COVID-19 disaster with hydroxychloroquine

Finally, for this post, while the Lancet has been through some difficulty getting things right, here's to hoping.
A country level analysis measuring the impact of government actions, country preparedness and socioeconomic factors on COVID-19 mortality and related health outcomes

For those who would rather the gen pop version, shut downs didn't help but smoking might:
Were the Lockdowns Effective at All?
The article has a bias, but pulled out a quote from the report:
Increasing COVID-19 caseloads were associated with countries with higher obesity, median population age and longer time to border closures from the first reported case. Increased mortality per million was significantly associated with higher obesity prevalence and per capita gross domestic product (GDP). Reduced income dispersion reduced mortality and the number of critical cases . Rapid border closures, full lockdowns, and wide-spread testing were not associated with COVID-19 mortality per million people. However, full lockdowns and reduced country vulnerability to biological threats (i.e. high scores on the global health security scale for risk environment) were significantly associated with increased patient recovery rates.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I often place more than one item in a post as FC doesn't like double, triple posts. As I read different sources I may find something I believe pertinent to the thread topic.

On the other hand, in all my years following groups on Usenet, BBs, or on dedicated forums, I don't think I have once seen someone "win" an argument in 26 years.

hinglemccringleberry

What happened to the photo of the crying baby statues that said something like "we found the anti-maskers"? It was in this thread the other day, now it's gone? I searched all 15 pages of the thread and can't find it now. I need to post that on my Facebook to cause butthurt to the anti-mask rednecks who I'm FB friends with. There's one guy on my feed who's asking people if they know of any grocery stores in our area that aren't requiring masks because those are the only stores he wants to support :rolleyes:

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I can't tell you how much better this thread has gotten since I opened the Bozo Bin. That was a great suggestion of the admin... ;)

cybrguy,
Reactions: EmDeemo

florduh

Fauci Says We Aren't Winning Against Coronavirus, Calls It Health Experts' 'Worst Nightmare'

Dr. Anthony Fauci, a top infectious disease expert and member of the White House coronavirus task force, has said the COVID-19-causing coronavirus as almost the "worst nightmare" of health experts.

Speaking via video link at the TB Alliance Fighting Pandemics: 2020 and Beyond webinar, host Betsy McKay of The Wall Street Journal asked Fauci to compare the pandemic to a baseball game, and asked what the score is.

Fauci replied: "We are certainly not at the end of the game, I'm not even sure we're half way through."

AP-NORC poll: 3 in 4 Americans back requiring wearing masks

Three out of four Americans, including a majority of Republicans, favor requiring people to wear face coverings while outside their homes, a new poll finds, reflecting fresh alarm over spiking coronavirus cases and a growing embrace of government advice intended to safeguard public health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom