Could Convection Vapor “Cook” the Respiratory tract?

MechFam

I’m neither doctor nor chef, but I know that we can use convection heat to cook proteins at temps under 500. I’ve never measured the vapor temp coming out of a stem, whip, or tube. Could convection hits above that “cook” our airways (e.g. 575-600 on a DC controller; iirc potentially higher on others)?

MechFam,

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
I’m neither doctor nor chef, but I know that we can use convection heat to cook proteins at temps under 500. I’ve never measured the vapor temp coming out of a stem, whip, or tube. Could convection hits above that “cook” our airways (e.g. 575-600 on a DC controller; iirc potentially higher on others)?
I would think that would be an obvious problem if it were occuring. People tend to find having their insides cooked quite painful.

Given that cannabis burns at about 450F, I would assert that the bowl temperature is much below that. And by the time it passes through your weed and through whatever cooling you are using, the temperature is even lower.

I suspect a temperature probe near the MP or your glass could tell you a lot.

Last edited:

MechFam

I would think that would be an obvious problem if it were occuring. People tend to find having their insides cooked quite painful.

Was thinking about long term effects of regular exposure over time vs a single inhalation.

Temp probe in the vessel and by the mouthpiece sounds like the way to go. Great idea.

MechFam

but I think this is seriously overlooked when people theorize on the comparative health effects of convection vs conduction.
And also among vape styles. If I can get satisfying convection medication from a log vape at significantly lower temps than injection, a log might become the daily driver unless the hotter injector posed no significantly elevated health risk.

Farid

Idk, injectors are designed to be used through glass, vs logs I've mostly used dry. There are absolutely benefits, but I always sip water with convection, not an issue with conduction. Vaping (and smoking) becomes even less irritating with mouth to lung hits, which is easier with conduction in general.

Farid,

Madtater

If you were breathing in super heated anything, there would be signs before it got to the trachea/bronchus. For one the inside of your mouth would be burned and to the point where it would make your body not let you inhale further.

Breathing in anything that isnt supposed to be going into lungs (smoke, vape, whatever) can cause irritation.

I would be curious what the exiting temp for vapor in the stem would be, but i am almost positive it would be no where near the temp to cause burning.

Madtater,
Reactions: MechFam

CleanHippie

I would highly doubt it, I think you would stop before you would really cook anything.
Not to say there wouldn't be any damage from inhaling very hot vapor, but I doubt your lungs would allow it for too long if it really was causing major damage.

CleanHippie,

dman28

Vaping for the health of it.
It doesn't matter how the vapour was generated via convection or conduction the temperature is the temperature. A very hot vapour will burn the oropharynx and trachea.

dman28,

MechFam

It doesn't matter how the vapour was generated via convection or conduction the temperature is the temperature. A very hot vapour will burn the oropharynx and trachea.

Do you have any estimates for the min temp that might do that?

MechFam,

GoldenBud

the heater is at 500F or so, yea, but the dry/wet bubbler + velocity of the vapor + path until it reach your mouth etc' reduce the temp dramaticly
it's not healthy for you, but it's MUCH better than smoking

GoldenBud,

Farid

With conduction the vapor might be hot, but the air displacing it, and mixing with it will not be. With convection a large majority of the air will be heated. There's a reason convection vapes generally have longer airpaths/stems/mouthpieces than conduction vapes.

Farid,
Top Bottom