Cool music to vape to, you know the tunes that move you

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a weird girl....I like Bond movies. :)
Nothing weird about that!:D
As for the Adele songs,it is weird that as much as i love the middle two,i also hate the first so bad i even switch stations on the carradio whenever that comes on...:shrug::lol:

Edit just found this again :
Sorry for breaking the '2 a post'-rule,but it was that or the (imao) even more transgressory double posting...;)

Last edited:
Looks like I've got some catching up to do....

Turns out that staying away from the internet has only given me more time to watch TV. But one of the shows I've enjoyed watching is Live From Daryl's House. All episodes are also online, I recommend them highly. It's worth going through them just to find those handful of collaborations that are simply magical. Here's a couple clips from three of my favorite episodes:

Nick Waterhouse - Someplace

Rumer - Be Thankful For What You Got

Allen Stone - Ennui On The Mountain

arf777

No longer dogless
I likes me some Muddy. But if we're going older, than how about Kind of Blue. One of the best lineups ever. Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderley, Bill Evans, Paul Chambers.

And a bit less famous (Kind of Blue being the semi-official Most Famous Jazz Album Ever), another Miles, IMHO best fusion (with the exception of another Miles, In A Silent Way) - Bitches Brew. And check out the lineup on it - Wayne Shorter, Chick Corea, Jon Mcloughlin, Joe Zawinul, Dave Holland, Lenny White.
It is long for a jazz album, but every note is worth listening to. I have the complete sessions, a lot longer, and not a note is imperfect as far as I can tell.

And what the hell, here's In a Silent Way. Many of the same folks as on Bitches Brew, but a bit more structured IMO. I am assuming many of you have heard these, but I am constantly shocked by people I meet who haven't consciously heard any Miles Davis at all (???????)

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Here is a clip from the 'Meltdown Show' Gilmour did in 2002. If you haven't watched it and you are a Floyd fan, it's definitely worth a watch. Great acoustic versions of songs. Here are a couple of selections.

Shine on you Crazy Diamond Parts 1-5.

Cover of Richard Thompson's Dimming of the Day. Beautiful and kind sad.

arf777

No longer dogless
Here is a clip from the 'Meltdown Show' Gilmour did in 2002. If you haven't watched it and you are a Floyd fan, it's definitely worth a watch. Great acoustic versions of songs. Here are a couple of selections.

Shine on you Crazy Diamond Parts 1-5.

Cover of Richard Thompson's Dimming of the Day. Beautiful and kind sad.
If you're a Floyd fan and you haven't seen it, you owe it to yourself to see the episode of Classic Albums on Dark Side of the Moon. Interesting note, they only mention one of the instances in this documentary, but I know from other interviews with Rick Wright, at least 3 of the most famous piano/keyboard riffs on DSM are lifts from Miles Davis - one from Kind of Blue, one from Sketches of Spain, don't recall where the 3rd one is from.

Madcap79

If you're a Floyd fan and you haven't seen it, you owe it to yourself to see the episode of Classic Albums on Dark Side of the Moon. Interesting note, they only mention one of the instances in this documentary, but I know from other interviews with Rick Wright, at least 3 of the most famous piano/keyboard riffs on DSM are lifts from Miles Davis - one from Kind of Blue, one from Sketches of Spain, don't recall where the 3rd one is from.

I actually own the DVD. That's upsetting that they copied music. Same with Led Zepplin. It's a shame. I am a mild Floyd fanatic, btw. Now some FNM to mix it up. Mike Patton is another one of my favs.

arf777

No longer dogless
I actually own the DVD. That's upsetting that they copied music. Same with Led Zepplin. It's a shame. I am a mild Floyd fanatic, btw. Now some FNM to mix it up. Mike Patton is another one of my favs.

I don't consider it a shame in a case like this, cuz a) Rick Wright was always extremely open about it, cited Miles, Bill Evans and Winton Kelly all the time; b) more than the others in Floyd, Rick was a jazz musician - according to him, that was all he was, and all jazz is based on borrowing and improvising on riffs to one degree or another. Listen to Sketches of Spain. That is Miles redoing ooold Spanish music, but it is still one of the most original recordings ever. And c) the standard in jazz (prolly in blues too, but I was raised on jazz) is if the piece that has the lifted riff or progression sounds completely different than the original, then it's legitimate inspiration, not unoriginality. By no stretch of the imagination does Dark Side of the Moon sound anything like Kind of Blue or Sketches of Spain [and I'd know - three of my favorite albums, have listened to them for thousands of hours in various and sundry altered states]. And Miles did not feel that way - he was in the process of arranging Sketches for Jimi Hendrix to re-do when Jimi died. I think that would have changed music history.

But I also kind of get some of what you're saying. I've worshipped Syd Barrett since I was waaay to young to be listening to him (like 7 or 8 years old), and it is hard to find anything that sounded like Syd's solo work before him. But on the other hand, there are clear standard jazz and blues progressions on Piper at the Gates of Dawn as well as on DSM. they're being used in a totally original manner, and do not detract from the originality of Piper.

Nevertheless, give a listen to Sketches or Kind of Blue and then Dark Side. Can you identify any of the lifts? I only know them because Rick Wright pointed them out. None of my musician friends ever caught them on their own, even my sister, a pianist/guitar player and overall obnoxiously gifted musician, or my brother, a jazz sax player (in a band most jazz folks have heard of, but he doesn't want me posting details) and hard-core Floyd freak. And we were raised in the Church of Miles. Pops literally made us listen to at least one Miles album per week, usually right after Hebrew school "so we could hear what God really sounds like".

Madcap79

I guess I never heard him cite the songs in that documentary. I feel kinda dumb. I consider myself a big Floyd fan. In the case of Led Zepplin, they seemed to have almost copied riffs. I loved the music that Dave and Rick made. I really appreciate every albums and they way each one (to me at least) has a different sound. I shall give Mr. Miles a listen. I know some of his stuff but very little. Thank you for the knowledge sir!

Speaking of jazz.......

Madcap79,

arf777

No longer dogless
I guess I never heard him cite the songs in that documentary. I feel kinda dumb. I consider myself a big Floyd fan. In the case of Led Zepplin, they seemed to have almost copied riffs. I loved the music that Dave and Rick made. I really appreciate every albums and they way each one (to me at least) has a different sound. I shall give Mr. Miles a listen. I know some of his stuff but very little. Thank you for the knowledge sir!

Speaking of jazz.......

I totally agree on the Zeppelin. And I am pissed at Jimi Page. He bought Aleister Crowley's house near Loch Ness and, despite promises otherwise to the occult community, never opened the library for research. Interfered with some of my own work on good ol' Uncle Al.

arf777,
Reactions: Madcap79

wmassguy

Wow, haven't checked this thread in a while and now I'll have to spend the weekend listening to music and catching up, lol! Thanks for all the tunes, you guys!

Sad to hear about the death of Pete Seeger this week. I hope he knows I totally forgive him for trying to cut the electrical cables with an ax during Bob Dylan's first electric performance of Maggie's Farm at Newport in 1965. (I was there. Honest. And I didn't boo.)

Rest in peace, Pete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom