Convection Vaporizers 14mm or 18mm or something else.

CL52613

In my own experience, and reading those of others here, it seems that convection vaporizers have one bane that has yet to be addressed adequately. The need for stirring the bowl to achieve maximum extraction. It seems to be a problem of exposing the non-extracted material to the required temperature while not charring the material already extracted. Does having a larger bowl, 18mm as opposed to 14mm, make any difference to the effectiveness of extraction? I have read here that the convection vaporizers with 18mm bowls still need to be stirred, and if this is the case, what is the benefit of the larger bowl, other than load capacity? Also, though convection does provide the best flavor, I have found the flavor becomes much worse when the material begins to char, which is unavoidable if the material closest to the heater is not displaced through stirring. I am wondering if there is not some way to design the bowl so it does not draw the heat in a lineal path but in a more immersive one. I am thinking of something that would draw the heat through the material from the sides of the bowl rather than the bottom. I am not an engineer or anything, but it seems to me you could get better vapor production without having to stir, and the flavor would not be so negatively affected. Maybe I am crazy and making a vaporizer that delivers thick and tasty clouds from beginning to end is not possible, but I can remember when going to the moon was considered impossible.

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Maybe I am crazy and making a vaporizer that delivers thick and tasty clouds from beginning to end is not possible, but I can remember when going to the moon was considered impossible.

Wait , what? man landed on the moon? :rofl:

I actually do get uncharred, even roast , thick and tasty clouds from start to end with my newly acquired Lil' Bud by Vapwood. On demand convection vape. The Lil'Bud and its stem are made of wood, not much can break or go wrong on this vape .

I load very small quantities 0.03 and don't necessarily need to stir but giving it a quick stir or shake near end of session does give you an extra hit if desired. I use the battery stopper tab (unregulated vape) as a stir/cleaning tool for -on the go- purposes. I don't like stirring either but don't find it a nuisance with this vape.

14mm is usually preferred for micro dosing . Not sure of bowl width on LB but my micro dose cover bottom of screen, giving me a thin layer
. perhaps thin layer is reason i do not need to stir much or at all.

Last edited:
P.A.M.,
Reactions: steama

CL52613

I also recently picked up 7th Floor's ELEV8R. The ELEV8R is a all glass torch powered convection vape where all you need to do is give the bowl a little shake. This is a fantastic pure convection vape considering it's only about 100 clams.

I load very small quantities 0.03 and don't necessarily need to stir but giving it a quick stir or shake near end of session does give you an extra hit if desired. I use the battery stopper tab (unregulated vape) as a stir/cleaning tool for -on the go- purposes. I don't like stirring either but don't find it a nuisance with this vape.

I have looked at the Elev8r, though it might be only $100.00 USD, it requires the use of a pretty powerful butune torch, and recommended ones start at about $50.00 and go up. It is also not a discreet vaporizer and definitely would not be considered portable. Using a torch like the ones required for this are not something I would feel comfortable with. Besides which it also requires some sort of stirring or mixing up of the herb. Thanks P.A.M. for the Lil' Vap info which I have not really heard of until now. I really liked the website and the video showing and explaining how to use the vaporizer. Personally, I would consider this vape over the Milaana. It is less expensive and does not use any adhesives during assembly which I think is a positive thing. Though it also does need stirring to get most efficient extraction.
Two very different convection vaporizers, yet both require some sort of stirring or mixing. There must be a way to design a mouthpiece/herb chamber that can provide a more evenly diffused path to the herb. Again, something that draws the hot air through the outer walls of the chamber rather than straight up through the bottom. With the heat being drawn through the outer walls the material would be exposed to the heat much more evenly. It would seem this could eliminate the charring of material at the bottom of chamber and/or heating just the middle of the material in the chamber. Does this make sense and would it be possible to design without having to reinvent the wheel?

CL52613,
Reactions: Ozyzj

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
You dont need stirring with the Glass symphony. You just need heater powerful enough and a bowl large enough to prevent multiple layers of herb one over another ,getting uneven vaporization.

Abysmal Vapor,
Reactions: ilsasta
Top Bottom