Conduction for Next Vape, Confused

Steverino

Hi all, I have a sensitive throat. I have several convection vapes as well as a couple of hybrids and a number of vapcaps. I find that the convection and hybrid vapes, while I love them, irritate my throat a lot more than the dynavaps even through water, and I can take much bigger hits from the dynavaps without coughing. I've seen conflicting reports about whether the dynavaps are conduction or hybrid. I'm due for another vape for Christmas and I'm wondering if the dynavaps are really more conduction than the others and, if so, if that's why I can tolerate them better, or if it's something else. Any information, advice and recommendations for possible new vapes would be appreciated. The vapes that I have now are the Splinter, Splinter Z, Enano, Fury Edge and Solo II. The pure convection vapes are more irritating than the hybrids as well. Thanks for any help you can give me.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Hi all, I have a sensitive throat. I have several convection vapes as well as a couple of hybrids and a number of vapcaps. I find that the convection and hybrid vapes, while I love them, irritate my throat a lot more than the dynavaps even through water, and I can take much bigger hits from the dynavaps without coughing. I've seen conflicting reports about whether the dynavaps are conduction or hybrid. I'm due for another vape for Christmas and I'm wondering if the dynavaps are really more conduction than the others and, if so, if that's why I can tolerate them better, or if it's something else. Any information, advice and recommendations for possible new vapes would be appreciated. The vapes that I have now are the Splinter, Splinter Z, Enano, Fury Edge and Solo II. The pure convection vapes are more irritating than the hybrids as well. Thanks for any help you can give me.

It’s argued a lot the % of conduction versus convection in a Dynavap. I’m of the opinion based on my results, that a DV is HEAVILY conduction. I don’t bother entering these debates, I know how they work in my hands, and lungs.

Many have posted they feel the extra hot air in a convection type (TinyMight etc.) contribute to throat irritation. I use both types, for the different end effects. For some the downside of conduction “oven style” vapes are most are session style, they stay on for a set amount of time to keep roasting in the oven. I use them as they are designed but not sure it would help you as we are all different, but it’s certainly worth your time to try. My main two CONDUCTION “session” vapes are: Davinci IQ2, and Mighty.

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

Angus is halogen heated. It doesn't have the dryness/harshness some people report with convection. Although I am actually not be the best judge of that, as I don't have that issue myself, I have found the Angus vapor very pleasing and I'm ascribing that to the halogen/radiant heating, it's like it has a its own signature. It is especially nice with strains with peppery flavor like purple punch. It is really soft to the throat also, even with the stock mouthpiece. There's a thread with some early user experiences and in Ask FC there are some threads comparing it with other vapes

vapeape77

It’s argued a lot the % of conduction versus convection in a Dynavap. I’m of the opinion based on my results, that a DV is HEAVILY conduction. I don’t bother entering these debates, I know how they work in my hands, and lungs.

Many have posted they feel the extra hot air in a convection type (TinyMight etc.) contribute to throat irritation. I use both types, for the different end effects. For some the downside of conduction “oven style” vapes are most are session style, they stay on for a set amount of time to keep roasting in the oven. I use them as they are designed but not sure it would help you as we are all different, but it’s certainly worth your time to try. My main two CONDUCTION “session” vapes are: Davinci IQ2, and Mighty.
Interesting you consider Mighty a conduction vape. I have always thought of it as 2/3rds convection.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Interesting you consider Mighty a conduction vape. I have always thought of it as 2/3rds convection.

Actually I think most of us here consider it to be predominantly session conduction, with some hybrid convection mixed in... If you load it up and turn it on, it creates the vapor for you, and can fully extract herbs this way

@Steverino do you know what it is exactly that is harsh, often it is not the type of extraction, but the pathways used (and the materials) along with the actual herbs themselves... I highly recommend right angled cooling pathways with glass with hooks and rigs for example with anything

Shit Snacks

Yeah just hybrid devices can always be confusing and contentious, vap cap is one of the epitome hybrid style, but since you heat it up first and then hit it, the way it is designed, good argument for conduction, like the vapman, especially in a small form like that, you see how new evolutions of the vap cap seem to attempt to incorporate more convection though some of them still do have plenty of radiant conduction etc something like elev8r you see is pure convection because the part you are heating is far away from the herbs, only getting vapor extraction when you inhale the hot air through the load. These are examples of aspects that would make something convection or conduction predominantly, traditionally on demand can mean pure convection although there are conduction as well like MFLB, while there is usually session style conduction, there are some cases of session style convection though pure convection is more rare there, because of the nature of how it all works basically

vapeape77

Yeah just hybrid devices can always be confusing and contentious, vap cap is one of the epitome hybrid style, but since you heat it up first and then hit it, the way it is designed, good argument for conduction, like the vapman, especially in a small form like that, you see how new evolutions of the vap cap scene to attempt to incorporate more convection though some of them still do have plenty of radiant conduction etc something like elev8r you see is pure convection because the part you are heating is far away from the herbs, only getting vapor extraction when you inhale the hot air through
Yeah all good as long as I think it’s tasty and gets me where I want to go, I really don’t get too caught up in it.

Lol hell I love to hit my vapman while lighting it on a j hook after initial 5 sec heatup, I don’t care which it is doing more as long as I like!

Edit: I guess why I am so confused is that I went from a conduction session vape Alfa at the time to the Mighty and associated the big improvement in air flow with convection

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Lol hell I love to hit my vapman while lighting it on a j hook after initial 5 sec heatup, I don’t care which it is doing more as long as I like!

Haha yeah I have seen folks do that, using it like a Lotus (which is supposed to be pure convection though) I could not get such a hang of it though and I only got the vapman for use with the station lol

Edit: I guess why I am so confused is that I went from a conduction session vape Alfa at the time to the Mighty and associated the big improvement in air flow with convection

Yeah, compared to those for sure, Alfa more exclusively session conduction old style tech, Mighty does have a convection design with larger heating element and more power, it just also has strong conduction and slow heat up still, compared to higher powered on demand pure convection units (next level highs potentially)

Farid

Another big factor is the fact that convection vapes require airflow to produce vapor. This means longer more drawn our inhales, resulting in extended contact between vapor and the throat. Conduction vapes allow for shorter pulls, even mouth to lung in some cases, and potentially less time in which vapor is in the throat.

Steverino

Wow, So many responses so quickly. Thank you all. It does seem that conduction vs. convection might be the culprit. It just dawned on me that I know someone who has a Pax (don't know which number) that I might be able to borrow. I know it's not a preferred vape but I think it may be conduction and that might provide more information. Shit Snacks, I have a number of glass pieces of various styles and sizes. They help with the convection vapes to some extent, especially with water, but I still get the same signature and a good bit of irritation, although not as much as I get native. I've seen both the Vapman and IQ recommended above and I'll research them. If I do go for a conduction vape, any other recommendations? Both session and on demand are fine, although I know on demand and conduction don't usually go together. I generally vape only once a day, right before bed and all at once, so no problem with either approach.

CANtalk

I like quality vapor and in the portable world, conduction vapes are highly underrated for quality vapor. Excellent & smooth overall extraction, big f/x & some great flavors. And if you temp step a conduction vape, you can session it that way a time or two & which works well with relatively minimal cannabinoid heat destruction.

The Davinci IQ2 is an excellent conduction vape & ultraportable, many improvements and premium features.

If you're interested in a desktop vape, there are a number of premium convection vapes that are big extractors and vape beautifully w/ a wet water piece / bong for great filtration and smoothness.

Lots of options in the portable and desktop vape world.

:peace: :leaf:

Last edited:

Andreaerdna

If God is the answer, then the question is wrong
Wow, So many responses so quickly. Thank you all. It does seem that conduction vs. convection might be the culprit. It just dawned on me that I know someone who has a Pax (don't know which number) that I might be able to borrow. I know it's not a preferred vape but I think it may be conduction and that might provide more information. Shit Snacks, I have a number of glass pieces of various styles and sizes. They help with the convection vapes to some extent, especially with water, but I still get the same signature and a good bit of irritation, although not as much as I get native. I've seen both the Vapman and IQ recommended above and I'll research them. If I do go for a conduction vape, any other recommendations? Both session and on demand are fine, although I know on demand and conduction don't usually go together. I generally vape only once a day, right before bed and all at once, so no problem with either approach.
I feel same as you, pure convection is more aggressive to my lungs/throat and IMO that is because of longer stream of hot dry air needed to achieve vaporisation.
i think you will be pleased by PAX experience, it is quite underrated on FC IMO, it is a quality easy vape, lung friendly similar to vapcap.
the only pure convection vape still in my rotation is enano, but i use 1 minute to preheat the bowl so it becomes kind of hybrid

Also consider gaz powered convection vape (sticky bricks kind), as one of byproducts of gaz burning is water vapor. Those gave me less aggressive vapor but there are other byproducts in gaz burning…

Last edited:

Farid

Both session and on demand are fine, although I know on demand and conduction don't usually go together. I generally vape only once a day, right before bed and all at once, so no problem with either approach.

There are tons of on demand conduction vapes: mflb, vapman, dynavap to name a few.

I think the best option for the throat is mouth to lung hits. I know Dynavaps can do it, not sure about the vapman. Somd session conduction vapes may work mouth to lung, but I'm not sure how well - you really need something that can produce very dense vapor.

Steverino

Thank you all for a lot of good information. I was looking at the IQC but I'm concerned the bowl is too big for me. I only use .08 for each session and the IQC seems to hold .3 or so. My understanding of conduction vapes is that they need a firm, full pack to work well and this would be way too big for me. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also, if anyone does know of a good conduction vape with a small bowl, please let me know and I'll check it out.

CANtalk

Thank you all for a lot of good information. I was looking at the IQC but I'm concerned the bowl is too big for me. I only use .08 for each session and the IQC seems to hold .3 or so. My understanding of conduction vapes is that they need a firm, full pack to work well and this would be way too big for me. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also, if anyone does know of a good conduction vape with a small bowl, please let me know and I'll check it out.
The IQ2 has a monster bowl but there are ceramic and SS dosage pods which reduce the bowl size to the 0.05-0.10 gram dose range. And there are spacers too, which do a similar job minus a secondary pod. Check out the IQC more if you like it and look for similar options and products.

Good luck w/ your choice.

Steverino

Thanks, I'll look into that and also see if there are options for the IQC to reduce bowl size. Given the price difference I think I'd prefer the IQC fi the bowl can be reduced.

Shit Snacks

Thanks, I'll look into that and also see if there are options for the IQC to reduce bowl size. Given the price difference I think I'd prefer the IQC fi the bowl can be reduced.

Yeah I prefer to use the zirconia spacers, they have two sizes, they are perfect for smaller bowls with my IQ2 always using em

CANtalk

Sounds like the IQC is a great option for you @Steverino if it has the same chamber reduction options.

Yeah I prefer to use the zirconia spacers, they have two sizes, they are perfect for smaller bowls with my IQ2 always using em
The FC IQ2 community here is great, a number of people giving excellent personal feedback on the smaller bowl options & setups. Thanks & please continue to share your direct equipment & setup experiences, cheers.

I think the IQ2 is a great vape & underrated. And Davinci usually has a top notch Black Friday sale :nod:.

Last edited:

hinglemccringleberry

Another big factor is the fact that convection vapes require airflow to produce vapor. This means longer more drawn our inhales, resulting in extended contact between vapor and the throat. Conduction vapes allow for shorter pulls, even mouth to lung in some cases, and potentially less time in which vapor is in the throat.
Since convection requires a superheated airflow to produce vapor, more particulates are sucked out of the load. Many of those particles wind up in the lungs. My Milaana is nearly unusable with the stock stem because it's like I'm inhaling a wall of ultra fine plant matter. This is far less of an issue when the load is being heated up by the chamber itself, and then drawn out through an outlet that is usually smaller than the chamber diameter (conduction vape). You still get particulates, but waaaay fewer.

TL;DR - hot wind makes shit blow around.

Last edited:

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
The reason why is not all of the air that gets heated in a convection element will make contact with the herbal material.
This stream of "latent heat" is carried to the respiratory tract.

:peace:
I noticed that if i load very little in my TM2 the cooling units get a lot hotter,than loading more. I was thinking that herb is also acting as a cooling unit itself ,since it absorbs heat,but your explanation is a bit better,haha ! Cheers !

Top Bottom