Concentrates for Noobs - Q&A

esoh

I'd say skip the Ti, there are better materials available. Quartz bangers are very popular. Nice dense hit, great taste and low price. This seller has a good reputation, here's a basic 3mm thick banger - excellent.
The Chinese "OFZ" style carb caps don't work very well IMHO. These are much better, if a little heavy.
If I was going to get another one, I would try one of these. No special carb cap needed.

Appreciate those links, I've used DHGate just fine before, but I'm looking to get one ASAP that will last a long time. Got any amazon links?

esoh,

pigfoot

Dabs are vapor too!
Appreciate those links, I've used DHGate just fine before, but I'm looking to get one ASAP that will last a long time. Got any amazon links?
I haven't bought any nails via Amazon, but it does look like vendors are selling are selling China quartz.

Duncan MacLeod

I am hoping that @pigfoot, or anyone else, could help me here-

what sort of water filtration is going to give me the coolest/smoothest dabbing experience?

I am willing to sacrifice flavor.

I was looking at stevenlmz79's stereo matrix or toro 7/13 clones.

My throat/ lungs get irritated with my d020.

Duncan MacLeod,

pigfoot

Dabs are vapor too!
I am hoping that @pigfoot, or anyone else, could help me here-

what sort of water filtration is going to give me the coolest/smoothest dabbing experience?

I am willing to sacrifice flavor.

I was looking at stevenlmz79's stereo matrix or toro 7/13 clones.

My throat/ lungs get irritated with my d020.

You can use the largest, multi chambered piece, with multiple percs, if you want. The largest I would go for a dab rig is the small Straight Fab. It really had more diffusion than I liked, and I felt like I was losing flavor.

Well, the first thing I would ask is: are you doing low temp dabs? Hot dabs hurt. If you are just working with a torch nail, and don't have a thermometer, a timer is the way to go. I use an app on my phone. I currently heat a quartz banger till the little bit of residue not removed by the Qtip is gone, then give it 55 seconds to cool. The dab doesn't fully vaporize till it's capped (you DO have a carb cap, right?). That should result in a tasty, low temp dab. I just use small rig, and it cools and hydrates a dab perfectly.

Are you doing a lot of large "glob" style dabs? If so, it may be just too much for your throat. If you're blowing out a huge cloud, that's all wasted. Maybe try smaller dabs?

Duncan MacLeod

I guess I need to ditch the domed Ti and buy a banger and cap next.
I don't do big globs. My dabs normally want to stay on the dabber and I have to hold the dabber on the nail until it all vaporizes off. I'm slow learning a lot of this and I appreciate the knowledge you share- thanks!

Duncan MacLeod,
Reactions: pigfoot

Matt73

I don't think that's going to work well. You need to apply some heat to make it less viscous so that the solvent can escape.
Yes, 1 week is not enough. Now after 10 days I still had a tiny sparkling when heating it up. Looks like the shatter needs at least 2 weeks to dry completely out.

Forgot to mention, I divided the second 3 minute wash into two bowls. One bowl I let dry at room temperature, the other bowl I double boiled for some hours. While the natural dried concentrate is harder and non sticky, the heated one is low viscous and smeary. I was hoping to get more sedative effects from the heated one, but I think there is not much difference between those both batches.

Matt73,

Monsoon

Yes, 1 week is not enough. Now after 10 days I still had a tiny sparkling when heating it up. Looks like the shatter needs at least 2 weeks to dry completely out.
Leaving it out at room temperature for 6 months likely won't remove all the solvent because it's trapped in there. Anything on the surface will evaporate but the solvent inside has no way to get out. Applying heat makes the shatter less hard allows the trapped solvent to expand into bubbles and eventually escape. Double boiler is going to be either too hot (explains the the smeariness) or not long enough. Ideally you want to use a griddle with the pan propped up to get more even convection heating or something like a reptile heater pad.

Monsoon,
Reactions: pigfoot

Matt73

Leaving it out at room temperature for 6 months likely won't remove all the solvent because it's trapped in there. Anything on the surface will evaporate but the solvent inside has no way to get out.
Did you try that?

After 2 weeks of drying at room temperature my shatter is hard and breaks with a snap. When being heated it does not sparkle anymore. I am not a concentrate expert, but for me it is dry enough to use. Due to the different climate it could take a few days longer in countries like Canada.
I think that eventually the ethanol will escape from everywhere. For example just think of the "angels' share" in the distilleries.

Matt73,

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Do you blast with ethanol in your dish?

If yes and if there is enough ethanol all the butane will escape(at 120°F) before the ethanol and after that a few days at room temp are enough to remove the ethanol IF you are working with small amounts only (less than 2g/batch), large amounts need a vac purge.

PPN,

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
@Matt73 Terpene content plays a large role in concentrate consistency as well. Some stuff can be purged of all solvent and be more of a pull and snap or a straight sap due to the type and quantity of terpene present, or cannabinoid distribution. Just saying man. Cambodia though, neat to see a reefer-head from there. Welcome.

Last edited:
seaofgreens,
Reactions: looney2nz

Rare

To BHO or not To BHO, maybe that isn't the question.
Maybe it's not the nail maybe it's your dabs.

You say you've used the nail constantly, my question: are you using the same oil or did you try something new. If you're dabbing a BHO there is a very good chance it's the BHO making you sick, especially if someone else made it.
Unless your manufacturer is using pure butane there is a lot in there that you don't want and we can start with the known carcinogen, benzene.
Incidents of people getting sick off BHO are not unheard of so before you doubt your nail, check your oil.

This from a year old "BuzzFeed" article: "“We see stuff that is dripping with residual solvent. It’s running with it, literally dripping — more contaminants almost than product,” said University of California, Davis, analytical chemistry professor Don Land, who works with a major Northern California–based marijuana-testing lab called Steep Hill Laboratories."

My advice is Caveat emptor when it comes to concentrates.

this is old, but it wasnt my oil, i only have high end top shelf nug run bho and sho straight from the best dispensaries in denver. i just simply had a virus/cold type of a deal haha.

Rare,

Cuthbert J Twillie

Senior High
Good news Rare (I guess, sorry you were illin').

Still they don't test (at least they weren't last January according to the labels) for pesticides in Commercial BHO (any hash actually but BHO's are the ones you should worry about). Although Denver city and just recently the state of Colorado have recalled some specific products for violating levels of pesticide.

Cuthbert J Twillie,

Dablife559

I see this posted all the time. In my experience I do not find it to be true. The difference between shatter & wax for me is nothing but time in the vac chamber. You can accelerate these consistency changes by adding heat. But thats how you start to degrade flavor.

My last batch of oil went through every stage, shatter, pull snap\wax, butter, crumble. In about that order and the temps were in the high 90s the entire time. I stopped the process multiple times to harvest some of every stage, they all rock with flavor and potency and are totally touchable with your bare hands. The shatter and pull snap wax stages are really knock the bejesus out of you strong, the butter & crumble consistencies are right up there too but the pull snap and shatter have so much terpy flavor! I love being able to roll up a ball of pull snap with my fingers and just drop that into my wide mouth quartz castle by hand, same with the crumble but sometimes crumble is too crumbly. Dropping a BB sized ball of my errl onto a nail will put you down hard in a hurry! LoL

FoUSXPF.jpg

Shattery Pull-snap on the left, crumble on the right. Blasted on 4/18 using an experimental butane\dry ice extraction than I'm still refining. Dewaxed right out of the extractor with incredible flavor! I usually winterize BHO runs and have no issues getting the same consistencies from winterized absolutes as well without upping the temps just need to adjust purge times.
What do you mean by winterize bho and what are good purge times?

Dablife559,
Hey guys, new to shatter. What's the best vape pen to use in terms of ease of use (low learning curve), vapor production and flavor? Was reading great things about the Kandypens Galaxy and the Puffco Pro but do these work with shatter or more of a wax or viscous oil? I'm currently using a Cloupor Cloutank M4 on top of a Kangertech Subvod Kit tank but it's annoying as hell trying to get this solid but extremely sticky shatter onto the miniscule coil. Was wondering what are my other options. Thanks guys.

bajangreen,

w00master

So my issues (I have a feeling a lot of other concentrate noobs are similar) are with handling concentrates. Not on how to "smoke" or "vape" concentrates. I know how to do those quite well, but how does one "handle" them?

1. It seems that on some types of concentrates (like certain types of hash, for example) need to be prepped in some manner (pressed together or heated onto parchment).

- For newbies like me, this is HIGHLY confusing. Shatter, doesn't need prep, but some do. Which ones do, and why? How do we work with it? What do we do to prepare them?

2. You see in the market tons of "concentrate wallets," "slick containers," etc. Cool!

So, how does one properly transfer your product from retail over to these protective containers?

3. Do you do portion control? How do you do it? Especially with substances that are highly sticky and difficult to work with?

These are the questions that I have scoured the internet, and found little to nothing. Help please.

I know how to dab concentrates. I know how to vape them. What I want to know is how to HANDLE them.

A youtube video, step by step guide, or something would be hugely helpful for concentrate newbies.

St0fxxx

o()xxxx[{::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>
Woo hoo that's all 74 pages done... Man I feel enlightened now. I have to admit it's cost me a few quid reading all this but I feel much safer as a result (vac chamber)

Put what I thought was fully purged BHO in my new vac last night and maaaan that's shit bubbled, so perhaps just a bain marie isn't enough for BHO.

Just wanted to say thanks to all that have contributed to this tread, like I said I feel much safer about my concentrates now. FC is the place to be man!

CBDFarm

QUIT.
Woo hoo that's all 74 pages done... Man I feel enlightened now. I have to admit it's cost me a few quid reading all this but I feel much safer as a result (vac chamber)

Put what I thought was fully purged BHO in my new vac last night and maaaan that's shit bubbled, so perhaps just a bain marie isn't enough for BHO.

Just wanted to say thanks to all that have contributed to this tread, like I said I feel much safer about my concentrates now. FC is the place to be man!

Yep always vacuum purge if using a solvent. If anyone tells you otherwise, run.

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Man I need to look into vac purging, can I do it with a basic pump and bag that I'd use for making curved panels, I'm a carpenter...
Or is it much more complex than that???

kellya86,

CBDFarm

QUIT.
Man I need to look into vac purging, can I do it with a basic pump and bag that I'd use for making curved panels, I'm a carpenter...
Or is it much more complex than that???

No bag, you need steel that can hold pressures of 29.9HG. Just buy this, if you have the pump they sell the chamber separately. 3cfm pump. 169.... Can't beat it... Dont cheap out. I work in propmaking for fox studios believe me, don't cheap out. Your life is important. http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Gallon-Va...345015?hash=item5422d089f7:g:dQUAAOSw8-tWVqI1

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Yeah I get the importance of life since quitting tobacco. I'm very particular about what I consume now....

I will make that my next puchace now...

Nice trees by the way, saw on othet thread,
wish I could grow outdoors in safety, one day maybe....

CBDFarm

QUIT.
Yeah I get the importance of life since quitting tobacco. I'm very particular about what I consume now....

I will make that my next puchace now...

Nice trees by the way, saw on othet thread,
wish I could grow outdoors in safety, one day maybe....

Thanks a lot man, hopefully it will be legal for all soon, there is already a federal bill out :)
And yeah I have seen and heard really bad horror stories of people using mason jars among other things to try to purge and them exploding under pressure and end up hurting/killing themselves. I mean it can still emplode with the steel chamber, but it's a lot less likely as its designed to handed that negative pressure.

Spocks_Katra

How much do y'all go through a week? I have been stocking up on crumble and shatter. I bought 4g at new year and have about .5-.7 left. but Ive been increasing my consumption alot, probably went through .5-1 in the pst week or two. Just wondering how much other people are vaping each week

Spocks_Katra,

CBDFarm

QUIT.
How much do y'all go through a week? I have been stocking up on crumble and shatter. I bought 4g at new year and have about .5-.7 left. but Ive been increasing my consumption alot, probably went through .5-1 in the pst week or two. Just wondering how much other people are vaping each week

Gram a day easy.But on average about a gram a day for me.

CBDFarm,
Top Bottom