• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Concentrates for Noobs - Q&A

AJS

Calm Consistency
I am also doing small dabs, very small actually. I just can't handle the very big hits anymore without coughing. The cooler they are, however, the better, so a bigger piece is better for me even if not traditional. Had a nice dab in the L Inline last night. And because I am doing very small dabs I'm not getting any junk in the water. Win win.
Is there any way you can get a picture of how small is small? I think I take pretty small dabs but I have nothing to compare it to :)

710Coils

Manufacturer
@Ramahs I wasn't trying to upset you with my statement. I honestly just use 2 dry Qtips on my setups and it works great for me. The other option would be to use dark crystal. Turn the temp down to 200 and add a tablespoon of dark crystal to the banger once its at temp. Qtip clean good and once done, do a good ISO wipe to remove any residue from the dark crystal. This will make your banger look like new and the only negative to it is if you do not get all the residue off. You will have a few dabs that taste like butt while the residue burns off =)

710Coils,

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
@Ramahs I wasn't trying to upset you with my statement.

Oh, no worries. I wasn't upset at all, my friend :tup:

I honestly just use 2 dry Qtips on my setups and it works great for me.

I usually start with both ends of a Glob Mop soaked in iso, then I will sometimes finish with both ends of a second one dry, if I feel it's necessary.

The other option would be to use dark crystal. Turn the temp down to 200 and add a tablespoon of dark crystal to the banger once its at temp. Qtip clean good and once done, do a good ISO wipe to remove any residue from the dark crystal. This will make your banger look like new and the only negative to it is if you do not get all the residue off. You will have a few dabs that taste like butt while the residue burns off =)

I've never used dark crystal, but I've seen it mentioned here on FC quite often. I've always just torched them clean after enough buildup has collected, but I may order some dark crystal soon. I did try simple green concentrate once, but it didn't do much at all.

Ramahs,
Reactions: 710Coils

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Here is a small dab (many dabs in a row working out water levels) in my new to me SOL FOL Incycler and DNail Nimbus, pause it at the start to see it,

Oh, nice, you got that rig, that is seed of life SOL by the way (FOL is the fountain perc, SOL is the side slits like this, so helps to remember that way) I also just got my opaque white and clear blue one too (Torus Incycler this version is often called) I'll see you over in the cheap glass thread :tup:

Rio arrived and has been successfully used for a few cold start dabs, tricky though getting the button to ignite the torch, so I'll be over in that thread too I guess lol

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Is there any way you can get a picture of how small is small? I think I take pretty small dabs but I have nothing to compare it to :)
dab.jpg

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
That could be a 16mm banger and a 3mm terp pearl!
What size is that terp pearl @cybrguy?
Nope, 6mm pearls and 25mm banger. That dab was a little bigger than normal because the material is very sticky and hard for me to manipulate. Normally the bigger piece would be the whole dab for me. I am still very new to dabbing so it's an adventure each time... ;)

Shit Snacks

Yeah, I just have no interest in red hot glass under any circumstances. Or crazy hot metal for that matter. Not that I couldn't burn myself doing a cold dab, but it is much less threatening.

You do not need to get red hot glass, for hot start dabbing, also that depends on the banger you are using, my gooroo thermal banger does not get red hot and heats pretty quick, and yeah there is no hot metal involved really? But the dab tool doesn't get that hot, I mean I've never touched that end lol Yeah it is all perspective, what you are used to and how you first learned, because to me cold start dabbing seems more scary, using the torch while you are inhaling, and having to reheat, much more involved to me

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
When I mentioned the hot metal I was referring to that vape where you heat a large radiator with a torch that then provides the heat. I don't remember what it was called but it immediately got a "No Thanks" from me.

The way I am cold dabbing I just heat the banger to the point the dab liquefies, and then remove the torch and hit the water piece. If I don't get it all on the first heating I heat it some more, put down the torch, and hit it again. Then I clean the banger while its still hot.

Shit Snacks

When I mentioned the hot metal I was referring to that vape where you heat a large radiator with a torch that then provides the heat. I don't remember what it was called but it immediately got a "No Thanks" from me.

Oh lol, you mean like a titanium or ceramic nail? Yeah I've never used that shit haha I'm only talking about quartz banger buckets (which there are a wide variety of) I don't really have any interest in dabbing out of anything else (erigs with quartz buckets too)

The way I am cold dabbing I just heat the banger to the point the dab liquefies, and then remove the torch and hit the water piece. If I don't get it all on the first heating I heat it some more, put down the torch, and hit it again. Then I clean the banger while its still hot.

Yeah different concentrate has different liquefying points and it doesn't necessarily create vapor at that point either so I can't figure out the variables for myself yet to cold start that way, also the reheating, also the cleaning lol like I tried with Rio and it's just not what I'm used to I guess.

For me it's just heating up the quartz banger, which also cleans it from any potential residue (sometimes I might do a dry q-tip if it was a low temp dab and there is more left behind) letting it cool a bit, letting the dab melt as I inhale, then capping it to continue... I don't use any pearls either.

Simple and effective, though still a guessing game, I should get one of those temperature reading things, dabrite etc someday...

One problem I am having with the cold start dabbing in the Rio, the carb cap gets so hot lol never have to worry about with my hot start dabbing, I never have an issue of things getting too hot etc more so when I try other methods that becomes a risk for me!

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Oh lol, you mean like a titanium or ceramic nail? Yeah I've never used that shit haha I'm only talking about quartz banger buckets (which there are a wide variety of) I don't really have any interest in dabbing out of anything else (erigs with quartz buckets too)
The one I was talking about was a flower vape, not concentrates.

Shit Snacks

The one I was talking about was a flower vape, not concentrates.

Well now I'm just confused even more so then lol anyway I don't know how that was relevant to what I was saying, point being I use a quartz bucket banger just like you

Shit Snacks,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I was just saying, hot glass and hot metal bad for cybrguy. No likey. I will try to find the flower vape I was referring to.

cybrguy,

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
That's what I usually load in my Core erig each evening. However, I don't use it up all at once. I take about 3 good hits and set it down. Unless the oil looks pretty dark, I will go back for a second session of 2-3 hits, then swab it out. That's just me being lazy I guess. The flavor is gone on the second session, but sometimes I just need the effects. I also suppose this would be considered cold start dabbing, even if the second session is mostly reclaim sitting in the bucket.

I've shyed away from the Rio because I see it as this massive hit blaster thing. I drool over it after watching Troy and Jerry having so much fun, but then I think those type of hits would kill me. For me, the Rio seems too hot, too massive, and out of my experience league. Love the portability and the all-in-one footprint.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

I was just saying, hot glass and hot metal bad for cybrguy. No likey. I will try to find the flower vape I was referring to.

Yeah I got that, but you have that regardless, so I just didn't really understand why it's a problem in that way, why a cold start is better, I guess it's in the name, hot start, but I don't know for me it's easier to be careful than trying to heat a cold start, I guess I always feel like I'm wasting material too that way? Wasting vapor actives, I know that can't be the case because I got good high from the Rio cold start, but yeah as far as having hot things to touch and close to my body, that definitely felt more of a risk than my normal hot start situation.. I'll shut up:lol:

Shit Snacks,
  • Haha
Reactions: LesPlenty

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I seem to be one of the few, but I FULLY clean at least the bucket of the banger after every dab. I find that if I do not, cleaning is nearly impossible without a torch. Any time I am taking a torch to quartz, it is CLEAN quartz.

Never torch clean. Same routine every time- qtip after dab, wait till bucket temps drop to below 250*, few drops of ISO, qtip clean.

Shit Snacks

Yeah I've never been able to get it fully clean that way myself though so maybe its just me

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: LesPlenty

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Having a device to measure temp helps tremendously.
ISO too hot and it will boil and run down the stem, ISO too cool and it requires a little more elbow to get clean.

Get it at the right temp, and it is just a wipeout.

I never really had such procedures till I started getting into $100+ bangers. I don't have many, but take care of them and tend to get 1-2 years of use before devitrification.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Yeah, that doesn't work for me either, and I ALWAYS q-tip after every dab.

One of these days I need to try cold-start dabs. But so far in my journey I prefer to use a coil to get exact control over the temperature and keep it constant. And I used a torch for some time before I bought my first coils, so I first learned on a torch.

Top Bottom