• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Concentrates for Noobs - Q&A

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Well I picked up a Rio finally to give cold start dabbing the fair shake it deserves!

I believe the only devices I own that can do COLD STARTS with, are the DT4 and Oura (Puffco Pesk type). I mostly dab on the CH DCup, as I no longer do any butane, but that’s a HOT DROP. If I were aware of the Rio, long ago, it looks very functional and smart design. And if it’s one of Troys heavy hitters you know it delivers. Good luck with it.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I believe the only devices I own that can do COLD STARTS with, are the DT4 and Oura (Puffco Pesk type). I mostly dab on the CH DCup, as I no longer do any butane, but that’s a HOT DROP. If I were aware of the Rio, long ago, it looks very functional and smart design. And if it’s one of Troys heavy hitters you know it delivers. Good luck with it.

I have Qomo with quartz buckets, and Sai+ (and regular Sai I still haven't even opened yet) bottomless banger setup that I never use because of the cold start nature (and wanting to use my own glass and a torch for simplicity and purity) also gave away dablamp to buddy who hasn't tried it yet?

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
I have Qomo with quartz buckets, and Sai+ (and regular Sai I still haven't even opened yet) bottomless banger setup that I never use because of the cold start nature (and wanting to use my own glass and a torch for simplicity and purity) also gave away dablamp to buddy who hasn't tried it yet?

Yeah, I thought you had those, the Rio should be a better experience, just by looking at the layout. I don’t use my DT4 w/sic very often, as I need to stand upright, using it through the Hubba bubbler, as it sits directly on top of the glass 14mm glass top cap. I do this in front of a mirror, so I can judge my output, got tired of messing with temp control on mods with heaters. I know there are other ways to rig a DT4…. Anyways, the overpriced Oura, is more comfortable all in one, and while the 4 temperature presets are fine, it’s the DUMB buttons that hinder the experience.

RustyOldNail,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
Did the bag blow out with that press @Chicken No Name...lots of black dot 'inclusions'
No. Possibly some dust or summat. That's 1g so zoomed in. I also suspect my working conditions are not clean room standard! Tasty though and no scorching in the bucket.
It was more to demonstrate you can store rosin for Long periods with minimal degradation.
Have a good weekend folks

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
So @Shit Snacks , what's your verdict on the RiO?

I have several and am over the moon about them, but I do prefer the newer shower-head over the older inline.
Some are not into the torch, but I can't go back to other portables! This is IT for me!

Shit Snacks

So @Shit Snacks , what's your verdict on the RiO?

I have several and am over the moon about them, but I do prefer the newer shower-head over the older inline.
Some are not into the torch, but I can't go back to other portables! This is IT for me!

Oh I don't have it just yet my man, just tracking and paid for, hopefully should arrive next week! It is a new one, so it has that shower head, yeah I'm looking forward to it, and to use the torch with my recyclers too...

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
You will love it!

Just had a banger start to chaz, I used to try to baby it from this point and get as much mileage as I could. Noe I just replace.

How much life/longevity do you all expect a banger to last?

LesPlenty

Company Rep
How much life/longevity do you all expect a banger to last?
A bit like asking how long is a piece of string!
A banger will last forever if you never use a torch on it for cleaning and get it too hot too often...I have used a torch for cleaning and severely shortened the lifespan of said items cleaned this way.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Care to share details about those?
Personally, the latest for me is a few DAAB concentrate cups, Post#80,
Crazing/frosting is caused by overheating (don't use a propane torch for cleaning to save butane) a filthy banger (devitrification, I had to look that up) to others having the bottom fall off bangers (usually frosted bottom jobs).
A quote I found about devitrification:
Temperature is the catalyst of devitrification. At room temperature, quartz is fairly stable. Atmosphere and surface contaminants are not much to worry about without the addition of increased temperature. The sources vary on the temperature at which devitrification occurs. Some say the phenomenon almost never occurs below 1,150°C (2102°F) as long as no surface contaminants are on the quartz while others say devitrification can happen at temperatures as low as 1,000°C (1,832°F). [3&4] It can even occur at temperatures well below 1,000°C if any surface contaminants are on the material. Devitrification in open atmosphere, absent surface contaminants, normally occurs at temperatures exceeding 1,200°C and accelerates with any temperature increase. [4] For reference, butane torches are claimed to develop flame temperatures of up to 1,430°C (2,610°F) [5] and propane torches can reach 1,995°C (3,623°F).[6]

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

I'm always torching to clean, mine don't get that dirty though, it's not efficient use of the butane, but the quartz bangers are fine?

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
After "cold dabbing" I am cleaning my quartz bucket after each use while still hot. Both sides of a qtip soaked in ISO and then a prep pad. Cleans well without much grief. I do see after 20 or 30 dabs a black line starting to show at the seem of the side and bottom about 15% of the surround. I don't seem to be able to clean that off and I suspect it will grow and eventually be the reason I may need to get another banger, but it is still fine for now.

Shit Snacks

Yeah mine stays cleaner because I'm not cold start dabbing, hot start dabbing you're cleaning it every time, also I'm doing pretty small dabs, if there's ever any thing left I use a q-tip to swab it up, but I don't even need alcohol on it then, never had to fully clean a banger yet with my moderate use...

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I am also doing small dabs, very small actually. I just can't handle the very big hits anymore without coughing. The cooler they are, however, the better, so a bigger piece is better for me even if not traditional. Had a nice dab in the L Inline last night. And because I am doing very small dabs I'm not getting any junk in the water. Win win.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I've been using a banger with an axial coil, with a PID temp control box. And, though I q-tip with iso soaked Glob Mops (with that pointed end that I can clean down inside the edges around the bottom), and I do that after every dab.

The only issue I have is residue that slowly collects and darkens in a ring right above the coil. No matter how carefully I clean it, this always happens when I use a coil. For this reason, I always eventually torch-clean it every few months, as it takes that long to build up.

Here's an example of my current coil/banger that's way overdue a torching. It's taken like six months of regular use to build up this bad, and it's clean inside below the top edge of that coil. I just can't seem to prevent that buildup on the walls above the coil no matter how much I carefully q-tip after each dab:
IMG-2663.jpg

bizwaxzion

Enigmatic Cannabist
^ Do others have this issue when using coils?
I don't, but I've seen some that are much worse than that picture. I would clean that with simple green or dark crystal - just let it soak in a mason jar for a day or three - it should lift right off. If you have a couple bangers you can just leave it there. For an immediate cleaning, baking soda and water (paste) should take that off pretty quick. On the other hand, if you are only torching it twice a year - it's going to take a very long time to chaz.

Ramahs

I torch it more like four to five times a year. But hell, the bangers I buy cost in the realm of fifty bucks. I'm okay having to replace that every two to three years if it eventually breaks from torching.

Don't get me wrong, If I bought some of those super pretty high end bangers that cost a few hundred dollars, then I'm sure I'd be a lot more careful how I cleaned them.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
But hell, the bangers I buy cost in the realm of fifty bucks.
Sounds extravagant, my last was less than half that price, fully welded jobs too,

LesPlenty,

Ramahs

Sounds extravagant, my last was less than half that price, fully welded jobs too,

I've been getting mine from @710Coils , as they are an active member here, sell decent quality products, and have good customer service. Plus, I've been getting 30mm bangers instead of 25mm for some time. So, most of my current carb caps are for 30mm bangers.

I have bought cheaper bangers in the past, and those are the ones that broke.

Last edited:

710Coils

Manufacturer
@Ramahs if you swirl a qtip where you see the residue build up, you can keep it from happening.
I use a second Qtip to clean the residue above the coil that only shows up after it has set for some time. I have also found using the first super dirty end of the Qtip to scrub at tough spots and it helps break them up some =)

Beyond that you can lower the temp to 200 degrees and use some distilled water to help break some of the stuff up
Pour a table spoon in and qtip it around

Shane

Ramahs

@Ramahs if you swirl a qtip where you see the residue build up, you can keep it from happening.
I use a second Qtip to clean the residue above the coil that only shows up after it has set for some time.

Bullshit. I was cleaning the entire inside of the bangers with 1 - 2 iso soaked q-tips (sometimes the second one is dry). That still did not prevent the buildup. I mean, it's not like I don't q-tip the entire inside of the banger after every dab.

And I've tried distilled water. It still does less than the 99% iso I get. But the iso still doesn't even cut it.

Top Bottom